looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 27 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

hmmmm i must be shedding. i keep getting beard hairs stuck on my lap top screen.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2013

going to check out bacon today! and then after breakfast... seriously, though. i was talking about going to annapolis soon and my girlfriend suggesed today. so, after we stop by the boat, we are annapolis bound. apparently it's only 40 minutes from the boat. that's prety cool.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

"Closed Saturday until Apr 5, 2014"

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
yes. i discovered that. thankfully, we called, while we were en transit, to check their hours. so i hopped back off of the highway and went to the boat, instead. disappointed but not terribly. it was a beautiful, warm day to be working on the boat. it could have been a worse day. after the sun started to go down, we sat and watched the sunset, from the boat. gently rocking on the water as the warm wind rustled our hair. yeah. it could have been a lot worse day.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-21-2013

i am actually surprized that they don't have saturday hours during the christmas season. you would think they'd close on a week day, during fall hours. i would think only being open during normal business hours, during thre work week, would seriously reduce the potential customer base.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-21-2013

ok. thinking ahead to future purchases. i would like to ask for an opinion. i have a depthfinder transducer. it's a through hull under the Vberth. however, i have no idea if it's even functional. i don't have the depth finder to hook to it. same thing with the speed sensor, but that's not important until i have to make a passage and use dead reckoning. however, ithink i will need to have a depth finder when i sail. the bay isn't all that deep. anyhow, i was looking on ebay to get an idea what's out there and i found a transom mount transducer set up. i was wondering what you guys think of it.

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/HawkEye-Depth-Finder-Sounder-with-Temperature-Transom-Mount-Transducer-/380798537961?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem58a95c90e9&vxp=mtr

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 12-21-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2013

looking on line, it seems there is no way to test a transducer. i'd think the through hull one would be better than a transom mounted one, but then again, it might be hard to find a depth finder to mate to it and if it didn't work, buying a finder to try it out would be a waste of money.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Jack.. depth finders are not expensive these days, the thing with the transom mount is you'll need to see you close your transom is to the water at low speeds, such as when you're looking to drop the hook somewhere.. If the mount needs to 'hang down' a ways it's vulnerable to damage.

Most transducers nowadays can be mounted inside the hull, and 'shoot through' to get the depth. A variety of techniques work here, including epoxy or wet mounts in a 'box' - they'll avoid drilling another hole..

The other thing is there's good odds that your tranducer is fine, and it may well work with another brand of head. I was able to connect a new Raymarine display unit to a 30 yr old Signet transducer - works great.

I'd go to Ebay or CL and buy an older display unit (ideally the same brand as the transducer if it's identifiable) but even if not, for the $50 it might cost you it'd be worth a try. There must be a cutout where the original instruments were, that might give you an idea of what type it may have been.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Jack.. depth finders are not expensive these days, the thing with the transom mount is you'll need to see you close your transom is to the water at low speeds, such as when you're looking to drop the hook somewhere.. If the mount needs to 'hang down' a ways it's vulnerable to damage.

Most transducers nowadays can be mounted inside the hull, and 'shoot through' to get the depth. A variety of techniques work here, including epoxy or wet mounts in a 'box' - they'll avoid drilling another hole..

The other thing is there's good odds that your tranducer is fine, and it may well work with another brand of head. I was able to connect a new Raymarine display unit to a 30 yr old Signet transducer - works great.

I'd go to Ebay or CL and buy an older display unit (ideally the same brand as the transducer if it's identifiable) but even if not, for the $50 it might cost you it'd be worth a try. There must be a cutout where the original instruments were, that might give you an idea of what type it may have been.
so, you really think the transducer might be ok? that would be best. good point about the transom mount. i hadn't thought about the vulnerability issue. i'll take your advice, then, and see what i can find. unfortunately, i can't see any place where the finder might have been mounted or the speedometer, either. no help there. hopefully, with the aid of a dental mirror and a flashlight, i can find out the make and model of the transducer.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-22-2013

i believe my transducer may be an in hull, rather than a through hull transducer. i, of course, can't see inside it but it resembles the following picture:

http://

it isn't a metal fitting, like the other through hulls. the wire runs into a grey plastic cylinder that enters into a black plastic cylinder that is glassed to the hull. the glass around it is fairly built up, almost like there was a flange at the base. i couldn't et a good pic because i didn't have a flashlight. however, i was able to see the following words, on top of it, by cellphone light:

greenvally california 1 1/2" IPS ( or maybe 1PS ) SHED 80 PVC

there was also a tiny logo but it was so small, even with a flashlight i am not sure i could have made it out. i will try for a clear pic tomorrow. i actually hope it isn't a through hull model. one less hole in the boat.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 12-22-2013 at 06:25 PM.