looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 28 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

i just thought of something. it was hard to see. perhaps it wasn't shed 80 but, rater, sched 80; as in schedule 80 PVC. i googled IBS and IBS precision engeneering group came up. i haven't checked far into it, yet, but, they do make sensors. i did snap some pics of plugged holes in the rear cabin wall, facing into the cockpit, that i suspect may have been gauge holes. the one was plugged permanently. it's around 4" across and round. the other had a 6" round access panel, with a screw in cap.

i haveseen a pic of another cal27 that has a second compass in the place where my boat has the access panel. perrhaps that's what is supposed to go there and the 4" ( capped ) hole was where the depthfinder was. or, perhaps the depthfinder went in the bigger ( access panel ) hole and the speedometer went in the smaller hole...assuming that the sensor in the side of the bilge is a speed sensor.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 12-22-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

So you have an "in hull" mount already - that means you can service/remove the transducer while afloat.. Odds are its a 200kHz transducer so all you'll need is a compatible head. Most signet transducers have some red on them.. Round cutout would point to Signet or Standard Horizon (from that era)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-22-2013

so that does sound like an in hull to you, then? so far, i can only see black and grey on this one. i will google those brands and see if i can see an image that looks like what i have.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This is a new signet (but old style) in Md

Brand New Signet Marine SL172 Depth Sounder Signetmarine Depthsounder | eBay

My mistake, the DS transducers are not red, the speed sensors have red screwcaps. I don't expect you'll want that one (costs more than the boat and much cheaper ones are available now even new) but the pics might help.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
This is a new signet (but old style) in Md

Brand New Signet Marine SL172 Depth Sounder Signetmarine Depthsounder | eBay

My mistake, the DS transducers are not red, the speed sensors have red screwcaps. I don't expect you'll want that one (costs more than the boat and much cheaper ones are available now even new) but the pics might help.
that would mean the speed sensor is probably a signet as it has red on it.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-23-2013

any opinions about a Faria depth sounder?

or how about this hmmingbird?http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Humminbird-HDR-650-Digital-Depth-Finder-Sounder-Hummingbird-HDR650-407860-1-/400585779547?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem5d44c5e95b&vxp=mtr

do you think i could wire my transducer onto a unit like this one? i'm not sure how to actually id this unit. the writing i posted, above, is all the writing on the unit.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 12-23-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Most depth transducers are made by the same company (Airmar) anyway regardless of who 'sold' them with which head. It's usually a simple two wire w/ shield connection, only so many combos.

Don't know about Faria other than having heard of them. I'd look for a used signet head, people are updating this stuff all the time, if it's a 200kHz transducer it will probably work.

Old 12-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Most depth transducers are made by the same company (Airmar) anyway regardless of who 'sold' them with which head. It's usually a simple two wire w/ shield connection, only so many combos.

Don't know about Faria other than having heard of them. I'd look for a used signet head, people are updating this stuff all the time, if it's a 200kHz transducer it will probably work.
cool. thanks.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-24-2013

just to be thorough, i am posting a pic, one of the original pics in the ad that led me to this boat ( amazing how much better it already looks ), that shows the gauge holes in the rear of the cabin. i forgot about this pic when we were discussing the depth finder. i believe the depth finder was previously in the closed off hole just to port of the companionway.

http://

just for giggles, here is the other pic that was in the ad.

pretty rough looking. most of my time has been spent working on the inside but what i have done on the outside has really made a difference. after the holidays, i will snap a recent exterior pic to post. wish i had taken better interior pics before i even started scraping paint, so i could look back, when i am done, and see just how far she has come.
christian.hess likes this.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 12-24-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

mighty dandy looking to me!

rough is seagull crapped decks with moss and damage by seals and such like you find in monterey, ca! or san fran

little simple green does wonders for stuff like that, as does 409...

deck brush and have at it!

merry christmas bud!