looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 29 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

you too, sir!

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014

haven't sted here in a while. just updating.

been scraping paint. getting materials together to redo all my wiring ( so i can sleep secure at night ). making a permanent companionway hatch out of pvc board. the plywood one i made was just to get the boat closed up. i made a new stanchion to replace the damagesd one.

one thing i am still thinking about is what i am going to do about a motor. i haven't heard back from that guy with the vire7. so, i am back to square one.

do i say screw it for now and just do an outboard, for now? do i try to find a used diesel?
or, do i see what i can do about an electric motor? each path has benefits and drawbacks. even if i just find another vire7, there are drawbacks.so, i am still considering.

so, that's it, at the moment.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

screw it get an outboard(at least for now) Im sure you can get a 4-6hp for less than 300 if you search a while

Im doing my outboard mount ply plate again and Im looking for a 15hp for my boat which is huge and heavy compared to yours so honestly just get an outboard

Im done with flakes and resurrecting diesels for sellers down here, jajaja plus they want 2k for a non running engine, plus the cost of new mounts, etc...

happy new year boss

christian
Old 01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
screw it get an outboard(at least for now) Im sure you can get a 4-6hp for less than 300 if you search a while

Im doing my outboard mount ply plate again and Im looking for a 15hp for my boat which is huge and heavy compared to yours so honestly just get an outboard

Im done with flakes and resurrecting diesels for sellers down here, jajaja plus they want 2k for a non running engine, plus the cost of new mounts, etc...

happy new year boss

christian
i hope i can get one for substantially less than $300. if have to pay that much for an outboard, i might as well go for an inboard and just get it over with. but i am starting to think it would just be one less thing to worry about, at this point in time. but, of course, my final decision will depend on what i find available and at what price. just because i haven't YET seen an inexpensive inboard, around here, it doesn't mean i won't.

2k for a non-running engine? pricey.

happy new years to you, too, sir.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-09-2014

two things i forgot to mention: Mitchi, their guy friday who showed me the boat the fist time, said he has more sails that i can look at when i am a that stage. so, that's good.

also, Michael was right. i was looking at the rig. it is set up with a large fore triangle. the mast is nearly in the middle of the boat, like a cutter, and it is set up for that option. i think that set up would work well. maybe, in the future.....

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-12-2014

an update then i need to go to bed. even i need to sleep, sometime

even when i am not actually working on the boat, i am figuring out a number of issues, in my head and on paper, that i need to address. so, i have been solidifying my thoughts about an permanent coach roof, gathering info about a lot of other stuff i need to do....and thinking about the motor issue.

so, i am considering some kind of outboard, temporarily. thinking about removing the prop shaftand glassing over the hole, too. maybe a permanent outboard solution. thinking about constructing a chinese sculling oar, a yuloh, too. then just going motorless. in that case, i think the yuloh would be better than sweeps. but maybe not. however, my mind keeps coming back to electric inboard. i was rerrading some of mr christian's info, from earlier posts. also been searching the net.

i came across electric conversion of VW beetles which lead me to general conversion of cars to electric. same ideas as with sailboats; fork lift motors and that kind of thing. in the sailboat stuff i have read, the cost seems high. but there is a lot of DIY info in the car conversion community; people doing it on the cheap. so, i am considering that option, too. going to begin collecting info about this, in ernest, now.

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

happy new year boss

christian
happy new year to you, as well.

a quick update:

the weather has been making it impossible to get much done. i have scheduled the rigger to come inspect and tune my rig in the middle of next month. around the 22nd.

i have decided to stick with a tiller and just make one that is a foot shorter and somewhat different in shape.

i have also begun designing and building my composting head.

that's all for now. have to run. i have a class to teach in a bit.

1971 Cal 27

Old 03-14-2014

you may remember my intention of getting rid of the pop top and making a permanent coach roof. well, i am down to a final decision on how i am going to build it. this is a mock up of my two possible choices. the only difference is the angle of the sides. i am not sure about windows, yet. thoughts?

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 03-15-2014 at 04:30 PM.