looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
What I have found is boaters, sailor and power alike, are among the friendliest of people I have ever met. I am merely repaying the kindness others have shown me and continue to do so. Anything I can do to help.
I have always found sailors to be helpful but, until I started sailing on the bay, I really couldn't say the same for power boaters. a lot of those guys, fishing in their full camouflage ( to hide from the fish? ) on the lakes I have sailed, are buttholes. down on the bay, it's different. power boaters are ok on the bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Bathroom: It will take considerable effort and resources to convert that fuel cell to a holding tank. Waste will need to be pumped a long way back and up into that tank and what a mess you will have if, after a night of celebration, someone tries to flush a dead beaver through. Ugh.. Don't laugh.. been there, done that! LOL Additionally, a solution will be needed for pump out from that location. If a holding tank for the potty is really set deep and true into your desires, I would look at what you can fabricate and install BELOW the head. That way you can utilize gravity and some existing help that came with the boat. IE: Pump out features that were build into the boat.
ok. then that's what I will do. never turn down good advice from people who flush dead beavers down the toilet. lol
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
I would take everything the marine owner will give you. You can use the sailing paraphernalia you don't use to barter for things you may need. Your boat can accommodate a smaller jib in addition to the main job. You will see the ring on the mast just under the steaming light and you will see the track directly on the deck towards the bow. For the jib, look for a 120 but no more than a 180. We'll talk more about sails later. But, I wanted you to know as you go through the sails available.
yeah. that's what I was going to do. I figure that, even if I don't have the optimal sails, all the extra sails they are giving me should help acquire what I want.

sail advice would be great, since you know the boat and I don't. not really worried about a spinnaker. I will usually be under crewed and I can always sail wing and wing, if I need. I did notice the different tracks.

what do you think about roller furling jibs? I was thinking I could do a genoa and the main, using the roller furler to reduce the jib area.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post

what do you think about roller furling jibs? I was thinking I could do a genoa and the main, using the roller furler to reduce the jib area.
Jack.. especially early on, but really in general and esp when going upwind using a roller to 'reef' a jib is far from ideal. You'd be way better off with a properly sized jib for the conditions (by all means roll it up to furl it - that's convenient and there's even a safety aspect to that when shorthanded.)

I'd suggest that you start out with a 100%-ish jib until you get the hang of things, getting caught in puffs as you learn the balance and steering of this new-to-you boat will be less dramatic. A genoa will help in light air, esp since you're so 'hardcore', but it won't take a lot of wind to be able to move nicely without a large headsail. Tacking is also sooo much easier with the smaller sail.

But.... one of the wisest bits of advice often given to new owners is 'sail the boat as is for a season before deciding on any changes'... you may well find that fewer changes are needed, or those that are are not ones you first considered.
MichaelAngel442 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-13-2013

MichaelAngel442 is on a distinguished road

Engine: Well, if you aren't going to be performing any public services, I would look at a minimum, a 12 horse. You'll thank me later if you decide to take my advise. When powering in against 15 - 20 knots of wind, you'll think of me and smile. I took pics as promised. I was going to take a video but found a dead battery on my cam. Sorry - I'll take a vid this weekend.
Old 11-13-2013

I've posted pics. I hope they help. I will take a video this weekend as promised. Please let me know if you need close ups of anything.
Old 11-13-2013

Auto-Furling: If you are going to be under crewed most of the time, definitely invest in that little nicety! The one I had didn't work very well the first season. However, after some tweaking, I couldn't imagine life without it! LOL I can get you the make and model that is on mine for a starting point/reference if you like.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
I have always found sailors to be helpful but, until I started sailing on the bay, I really couldn't say the same for power boaters. a lot of those guys, fishing in their full camouflage ( to hide from the fish? ) on the lakes I have sailed, are buttholes. down on the bay, it's different. power boaters are ok on the bay.
You are an observant and freakishly clever man. I would agree with you on assessments of these 'fishermen' in the wild. However, I would, with you permission, like to qualify this out a tad more. Those species I would not consider "Boaters" per se. They merely use boats as fishing platforms as dear hunters use trees to ambush Bambie's. Sorry if I offended anyone. LOL To be fair, fisherman here in the Midwest are very nice folks and just as helpful. I'm sorry the courtesies of these folks don't extend out by you. Remember, just stay calm, smile, and have a beer.

Last edited by MichaelAngel442; 11-13-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2013

so, neither of you think it's a good idea to use the furler to reef but it's good to have one to furl up the sail, when striking the jib? michael, thanks for posting the pics. i will takle a look at them in just a min. a recommendation on a good furler would be great. is there a type of furling system where you don't have to modify your head sail? i suppose that's not a huge issue. i have quite a few extra sails, that they put in the boat for me. i am sure that i can get some barter mileage out of them.

as far as using what i have before changing up, i presently am not sure what i have. i haven't had a chance to inventory.

i went to the boat between work and class, tonight. i installed the new temporsary door hatch and door. i say temporary because i built them out of materials i just had around; old plywood and some strips of azak. i painted the hatch white. i wanted to close off the boat, from nature, as soon as possible. i will take a bit more time and make a 'good' door hatch completely out of azak and a door out of a nicer piece of wood. i don't have azak that size, or i would use azak.

you guys are right. there was a motor. the fuel cap is where you said it would be. the shaft is still in the boat. it wasn't glassed over. i didn't get a chance to see if it still turns. it was getting dark fast and i wanted to get that hatch on there. the motor mounts are still there. i think it must have been removed because it stopped working. the outboard mount is a nice one, not just a piece of wood bolted to the transom.

anyhow, does te shaft still being there give me any options to put in an inboard, that would be cost effective? or should i just go with an outboard?

and, if i do just opt for the outboard, should i remove the shaft, when it is hauled, and glass the hole shut? do i have to worry about the shaft being a leak threat?
Old 11-14-2013

Quote:
You are an observant and freakishly clever man. I would agree with you on assessments of these 'fishermen' in the wild. However, I would, with you permission, like to qualify this out a tad more. Those species I would not consider "Boaters" per se. They merely use boats as fishing platforms as dear hunters use trees to ambush Bambie's. Sorry if I offended anyone. LOL To be fair, fisherman here in the Midwest are very nice folks and just as helpful. I'm sorry the courtesies of these folks don't extend out by you. Remember, just stay calm, smile, and have a beer.
i can never figure that camoflage for fishing thing. do they really think the fish will just think they are bushes floating in the middle of the lake? but you are right. they aren't boaters as in people who love boats. they are boat users.
MichaelAngel442 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.