looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

hi. I just bought a 1971 cal 27. it's the original cal ( with the pop top ), not a 2-27, 3-27, or T2. it's in need of a little work. i'm finding little detailed info, on line, and I was hoping a few things could be made a bit clearer if I could speak with people who own or have owned one of these boats. below is a picture of the boat I just bought, for ID purposes. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s-my-new-boat.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013

MichaelAngel442 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

Hi Captain Jack. My name is Michael and I currently own a 1970 Cal 27 with the Pop Top. I gotta tell you. I absolutely love that pop top! I'm currently working on engineering a lift support system to assist in getting that thing up and down. LOL I have posted some pictures of 'Starship Del Rocio' on my page. I have a TON of documentation. Please let me know what I can help with.
Michael
Old 11-12-2013

I just looked at your boat 'picture' and I'm shocked to discover its almost identical!! lol
Old 11-12-2013

really? that's funny. I have a number of questions about the boat. mine needs a little work. the woodwork, inside looks good, but the door to the berth is missing. the cushions are all missing. it needs paint, inside, and over all cleaning.

one question I have is about the head. did these boats have a marine head or a portable head? there isn't a head, in the boat, right now. there is a tank under the cockpit sole that I think may be for the head, but i'm not sure.

also, this is probable a dumb question but, there is a handle to starboard, right on the cockpit bench....well, the side of it. it's a crank, like a large window winder. I have a suspicion that it's a manual bilge pump, but i'm not sure and I can't really test it. the bilge is bone dry. can you tell me what it is?

one last thing, for now, I haven't checked to see your pics yet, but it would be really great to see some pictures of the interior, so I can see what isn't right on mine.

it's good to meet you. I can't believe how hard it is to find detailed info about some boats and yet it's a breeze on others. if this was a 2-27, there's tons of info.

thanks for responding.

oh. one other thing, how's she sail?
Old 11-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
I just looked at your boat 'picture' and I'm shocked to discover its almost identical!! lol
it's a dark picture. it does make it look like yours, though. actually, it is white with a blue stripe. at about the aft most pat of the cabin, there is a 3 or 4 foot wide blue stripe, angling backwards, that goes down to the waterline. you can't see the wide stripe because there is a finger dock in the way. I posted about this boat under the general forum, in a thread called " I found a better boat ".

Last edited by captain jack; 11-12-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2013

Ok - Lets take this one at a time. First ~ Congrats on acquiring a pronominal boat. These boats are sturdy, quick, a safe cruisers. I absolutely love mine. With that said, lets start.
1. The door to the birth is a two part door separating in the middle. You should be able to locate the track as they are right on the wall where the bed begin right by the vbirth cousins. These doors slide in opposite directions to open and close. I'd be happy to take pics and measurements as you require to help you along.
2. The head is a portable head with access to external plumbing to extract waste if desired. I simply use mine as a port-a-potty. Emergency
/lady use only. lol I can send you pics and have documentation that came with boat. I'd be happy to copy and email if you like.
3. The handle to starboard, right on the cockpit bench is actually the lever (white ball on end of handle) for the transmission on my boat; forward (all the way forward), neutral (middle), and revers (pulled all the way aft). I have documentation on this as well. I have a dry bilge as well and there is a whale pump in the cabin located on the bench wall on the starboard side.
4. I don't have any pics of the interior, but I will take some for you and post them.

I hope this helps.

Its nice to meet you as well and look forward to learning more about your boat.

Question: Your boat is a 1971 correct? Mine is a 1970 (1st design) My hull number is 101 (Very first design of CAL to have an inboard motor.

What type of engine does your have?

Thanks again and nice to meet you.

Michael
Old 11-13-2013

Oh - The tank directly under the cockpit is a fuel cell for the inboard engine.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Ok - Lets take this one at a time. First ~ Congrats on acquiring a pronominal boat. These boats are sturdy, quick, a safe cruisers. I absolutely love mine. With that said, lets start.
it's good to know they are a good sailing boat. I will be sailing on the Chesapeake and it can get rough, sometimes.

Quote:
1. The door to the birth is a two part door separating in the middle. You should be able to locate the track as they are right on the wall where the bed begin right by the vbirth cousins. These doors slide in opposite directions to open and close. I'd be happy to take pics and measurements as you require to help you along.
I did see the track. I didn't realize it was a split door, though. I thought it as a single panel. I don't need measurements, though. if you are going to take interior picks for me to look at, that will be good enough.

Quote:
2. The head is a portable head with access to external plumbing to extract waste if desired. I simply use mine as a port-a-potty. Emergency
/lady use only. lol I can send you pics and have documentation that came with boat. I'd be happy to copy and email if you like.
really? that would be great. my email is motorcyclejack2@aol.com. thanks. that would be a big help. so, what do you think about the tank under the cockpit sole? is there one on your boat?

Quote:
3. The handle to starboard, right on the cockpit bench is actually the lever (white ball on end of handle) for the transmission on my boat; forward (all the way forward), neutral (middle), and revers (pulled all the way aft). I have documentation on this as well. I have a dry bilge as well and there is a whale pump in the cabin located on the bench wall on the starboard side.
I don't have a transmission. it's set up for an outboard, not an inboard. but that does sound like the handle. when you say a whale pump, I assume you mean for the bilge?

Quote:
4. I don't have any pics of the interior, but I will take some for you and post them.
thanks. I appreciate that. it'd be a huge help.

Quote:
I hope this helps.

Its nice to meet you as well and look forward to learning more about your boat.

Question: Your boat is a 1971 correct? Mine is a 1970 (1st design) My hull number is 101 (Very first design of CAL to have an inboard motor.

What type of engine does your have?

Thanks again and nice to meet you.

Michael
yes. it is a '71. I didn't know that about it being cal's first inboard. that was an option, though. one that the original owner of my boat didn't opt for. thanks for your help. it's good to know i'm not alone out there. lol. I don't know my hull number. I couldn't find the HIN. the title just has a 4 digit number there. it's 107-something. maybe 107-9. I can't remember. I will have to look.

thanks again
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Oh - The tank directly under the cockpit is a fuel cell for the inboard engine.
oh. that answers that. my boat has no inboard, though. I wonder if they just set them all up in case they got an inboard.
Old 11-13-2013

Your hull number should be in the glass somewhere. I will locate mine and tell you where I found it. It took a closer look at your original pictures and seems as though your boat was ORIGINALLY shipped with an engine. Probably a VIRE 7 / 1 lunger 2 stroke. You will notice on the floor in the **** pit just in front of the hatch, you will notice a cover with 'FUEL' on it. That lever with the white handle operated the transmission which was attached to the VIRE 7. It's obviously gone now. If the boat was shipped without an inboard engine, the transmission gear selector and fuel cell would never have been installed. Additionally, if that boat wasn't shipped with a inboard, the transom would have been cut to accommodate for an outboard engine. If you look carefully at the transom on the inside, you can actually see the outline where the cut would be. I have seen of few of these CAL's with the outboard option.

Last edited by MichaelAngel442; 11-13-2013 at 01:08 AM.