Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014

Roadking Larry is on a distinguished road
Cal 2-27 mast step question

While my "new to me" '76 Cal 2-27 is on the trailer with the mast down I'm looking to put a plate under the step so that when I get around to running halyards aft I'll have someplace to put some turning blocks.
All I can see on the top of the mast step is 4 bolts/nuts holding it on from inside the cabin I can't find anything. I would have thought it would have been through bolted but it looks like maybe not. I'm a little reluctant to start taking things apart when I'm not sure how they're put together. Anyone able to confirm how the mast step is attached on the 2-27?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 2-27 mast step question

My Cal 28 is lag bolted to the mast post.......Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-04-2014

I'm ging to have to do some measuring inside and out to be sure but I'm thinking the fasteners wouldn't line up with the compression post. On my boat the post is esentially a 2"X6" post.
Old 04-23-2014

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Roadking,

I found your post while trying to figure out how to remove the mast step on my 1978 Cal 2-27. The good news is that it's easy; the bad news is that I don't think it would work to put a plate under it without some modifications (I explain why below.) More good news is that my boat has turning blocks mounted directly to the mast.

On my boat there were four nuts on top of the mast step. Surprisingly, they were all easy to remove (usually on my projects, the first three come off easy and the last one has to be melted off with a thermite grenade.)

The threads that the nuts are removed from are studs that will stay in place when you remove the step.

I was able to pry up the step using a large screw driver that I tapped under the step with a "hammer" (pipe wrench.) I did this in several different places around the edge until it worked loose. Not too difficult at all. If I had a stiff putty knife on hand I'd use that instead. The screw driver left some small gouges in the work surfaces. Nothing that I'm worried about at all but I think a putty knife would be a little cleaner.

The problem with adding a plate under the step is that the studs aren't long enough to reach all the way through both a plate and the step. However, as I said, my mast has turning blocks mounted directly to it. If you go this route, don't make the mistake of drilling/screwing into the the vertical fins on the mast step. If your mast is still down, take a photo of the step and/or mark the mast so you can avoid the step when you mount your turning blocks.

Congratulations on your new boat...mine has worked out very well for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to scratchee For This Useful Post:
Roadking Larry (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014

Scratchee, I appreciate your reply. I'd come to pretty much the same concluson you did with out the added frustration of pulling the step.

Hey, since I've got another 2-27 owner on the hook... I may hit you up with more questions before long. Mine is still runing the original Atomic 4.
Old 04-24-2014

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Larry,

I also have an Atomic 4. It's been a great engine so far (and presumably for the past 36 years.) A couple weeks ago I went down to start it after the long, harsh winter, and it started right up.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I've had this boat (my first) for two years, so I'm still figuring out things myself.
Old 04-24-2014

I'm still hoping to get it back in the water by the end of May but time is eating my lunch. Mid June is looking more realistic. I'm catching up on some "deferred maintenance" issues on the engine. It still had some factory original water lines on the engine and I'm changing over to electric fuel pump. My alternator is in the shop, hoping it will be fixable.
Then it's just a matter of puttingit back together, finnish the bottom paint and put the new halyards on and step the mast.

And an old pic from before I bought it