Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014

othomas3 is on a distinguished road
CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina

Pictures of the rip out phase. Both quarter berths gone because the wood was rotted from leaking side lights. First longitudinal bulkhead supporting the counter top removed.

To Do:
Remove the forward most longitudinal bulkhead supporting the counter top.

Remove top of V-berth

Remove deck hardware and teak hand holds

Cut new V-berth

Cut new support bulkheads for the counter tops

Cut new sides for the swing-keel housing

Rework the cockpit to deck connection

Fiberglass weak areas where light comes through hull

Sand entire below decks

Paint below decks and add new fabric to replace original (ripped out a long time ago by a previous owner).

Rebed deck hardware

Prep hull and cabin top for painting.

About 2 weeks work, wouldn't you say?
Attached Thumbnails
CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-bow-area-below-decks-2014-04-26-11.36.36-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-port-side-2014-04-26-11.35.16-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-stbd-side2014-04-26-11.39.18-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-stern-port-side-showing-outboard-support-stbd-rudder-support-centerline-2014-04-26-11.47.13-.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-port-side-where-hardware-stays-enters-cabin-deck-2014-04-26-11.34.50.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2014

Re: CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina

A few more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-below-deck-port-side-cockpit-deck-2014-04-26-11.49.00-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-below-deck-stbd-side-cockpit-deck-2014-04-26-11.50.03-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-centerline-cabin-overhead-area-mast-support-2014-04-26-11.38.57-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-stbd-side-2014-04-26-11.35.44-red.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-debris-rip-out-2014-04-26-11.52.01-red.jpg  

Old 04-27-2014

Last longitudinal bulkhead that supports the counter top removed. V-berth top removed - looks like I'll take out the V-berth supports, also. Fiberglass dust everywhere like white talc. Need a better respirator and googles. Have a zip up tyek suit.
Attached Thumbnails
CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-rs-2014-04-27-14.58.23.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-rs-2014-04-27-14.59.10.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-rs-2014-04-27-14.59.43.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-04-27-15.01.17.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-04-27-15.00.39.jpg  

Old 04-28-2014

Any suggestions on painting the inside of the cabin and hull, and the outside bottom, cabin and hull?

It looks like it had fabric in the cabin and V-berth area at one time. I think I see remnants of the adhesive in those areas under paint.

Suggestions for fabric?
Old 04-30-2014

rippy is on a distinguished road

Ot, Wondering why you chose to start a new thread. I have a tough time keeping track of what's going on Cal21 wise. I am elderly. But I too am working on my Cal. Just installed a couple of reinforcing bulkheads on the port side of the trunk. Right side seems OK. Also ripped out all the ply on the sides of the qtr berths, and cut two 1/4" ply tops to install over the existing ones...after I replace the posts and rails that have collapsed(actually I don't think there were ever any posts in those spots). Lots of other jobs to work on, but none that will keep me from launching soon.
othomas3 likes this.
Old 04-30-2014

Rippy,

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread. Have any pictures of your progress?

I removed the V-berth supports yesterday evening. Now I have to take off the deck hardware so I plug "extra" holes from previous owners and sand the entire below decks and hull in preparation for painting.

Do you have a headliner in your Cal? I am thinking about installing one.

I'm not saying how old I am but I was born in 1956. :-)
Old 05-01-2014

rippy is on a distinguished road

Ot, No pics right now. My current goals are different than yours I think. I was born in '37 and my plan is to just use 21 as a daysailer. Only work inside was to firm up support around the trunk. Well I did have to remove a lot of peeled paint and rotted plywood. Never any sign of cloth on ceiling or anyplace else. Guess the point is that the interior is not my priority. I have only sailed the boat a couple of times and that was just before a hurricane washed it off it's mooring. Long story, won't go there. I have a big fear of losing the keel as described on the other forum just now. Other owners have placed that fear in my head. I didn't like the fact that the wire stayed attached to the keel when I did sail it so researched how to get that whole rig back to factory standards. Did find a lot of info, but haven't solved the problem yet. I also have no way to remove the keel to check the hole that the pivot bolt runs through without spending bucks, which I don't have a lot of. I need to do some work on the transom, the keel space in the cockpit, jib roller reefing, and you may have seen my posts about cutting off the bottom of the mast to reduce heeling and the need to sit on the hull all the time. Too old for that action. I have the boat sitting on it's trailer with the mast raised right now. I am evaluating a very simple roller reefing rig that came with the boat. Have not used it. I got the boat from a fellow who was not a sailor and who scared the hell out of his girl friend and probably soiled his pants. When "they" say the boat is tender, I am in complete agreement.
this is already too long. More later? Off to reply to the other poster, Ron Plasse.
othomas3 likes this.
Old 05-04-2014

Exclamation Re: CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina

I think I just uncovered more work to do.

I took the rub rail off and some of the screws holding the aluminium rub rail weren't biting into anything. May have to drill some out and plug. Actually, I should probably drill out and plug all the rub rail holes.

After removing the rub rail I noticed the stern deck seems to be lifting or not securely attached to the hull.

already decided to remove all the deck hardware, dill out an plug holes, then re-bed the hardware. Just waiting for a little help topside while I'm below decks to get this hardware off.

Then it will be patch and sand the imperfections in the hull and cabin.

Decided no headliner because I think it would retain moisture and grow mold and mildew.

I think my last estimate of splashing this Cal just extended into July.

Pictures later this week.
Old 05-07-2014

More pictures. I either made a hole in the hole or found one. I'm leaning toward I made it with the edge of a sanding wheel. Deck on the stern looks like it is coming apart along with some damage on the stbd corner that was covered by the rub rail.
Attached Thumbnails
CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-midship-port-hull-hole-cabin-16.39.45-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-midship-port-side-hull-hole-16.37.23-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-stern-stbd-deck-hull-16.38.06-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-stern-stbd-corner-damage-16.38.15-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-16.38.06.jpg  

Old 05-07-2014

Picture of the stbd side showing a light blue stripe under a black stripe. I like the original color.

Bow area of cabin with the V-berth removed and the inside hull mostly sanded.

Pictures of the port and stbd cabin deck showing raised fiberglass the was holding the rotted quarter berths. I have to sand those down, also.

Coming along slowly.
Attached Thumbnails
CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-stern-stbd-side-16.36.27-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-cabin-bow-area-16.39.03-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-cabin-stbd-deck-raised-fiberglass-16.40.10-reduced.jpg   CAL 21 Refit in South Carolina-2014-05-07-cabin-stbd-deck-showing-raised-fiberglass-remove-16.40.04-reduced.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.