SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

rub rail

9K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  blackbeard10 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience replacing the rub rail on a cal 34, or any cal, with something other than the factory rubber one? How expensive would it be to just finish the hull and deck joint?

#8 · (Edited)
New rub rail

Howzit Cal sailors,
Just finished installing new rub rail on Cal27. Now just need to pull the tape on the waterline and add bootstripe,and we'll be done . Steve at Seals and Spars knows his business and helped out with the install instructions over the phone. Shipping to Hawaii was steep($90.00!), but we needed to change it out. Thanks to whoever(Salty Bob) mentioned Steve and his business. I second the recommendation. Good sailing.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

Attachments

#11 ·
I picked up my Rub Rail for my '68 Cal 28, from Hamilton Marine in Searsport Maine. They stock the Cal 34 RR but they had mine shipped in. I have also been searching for the mounting directions for the Rail. My existing one on the boat was not screwed in place. It appeared to be dogged into grooves on the deck and hull connection. This may be the correct approach and I may need to apply an adhesive before snapping it into place. If this is the case, can I get a suggested adhesive?
I need some help on this one.

#14 ·
I just replaced the rub rail on my Cal 25. Same issue as you- not screwed in place. If the lips are perfect, then tension should be enough, assuming you have anchors at the stern to hold each end. But since mine were long since worn in many places, I applied 3M Marine Adhesive 4200 FC top and bottom at the bow, and top only on the sides. Works great. Used one caulk tube for the whole thing.

#13 ·
Re: Cal 2-27 Inquiry

The design purpose of the rub rail was to conceal the deck/hull flange by being screwed into the "T" shaped flange joint formed by the deck meeting the hull. I have accordingly attached a picture of the top view of the section that I'm searching for. The black vinyl strip shown in the "damage" picture is used to cover the attaching screws and washers and is shown as an insert in the "Rub rail Section" attached (51.5kb). Overall dimensions are provided below.

The rub rail section is about 1/8" thick by 1 3/8" wide by 1 1/2" high and 3/4" deep to cover the flange. It also has a slot on its face which is apparently used to hold a 7/8" vinyl strip whose purpose is to cover the screw heads.

#15 ·
I have a 1981 Cal 31.
I re-riveted the hull to deck seam and put on a new rubrail about 4 years ago. I used a stock Hunter rubrail (at that time anyway). Hunter shipped it from Florida to Toronto on a new Hunter that was being delivered. I just sailed by the dealership and picked it up. FREE delivery and no bending!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.