Opening Up The Lazarette: Pictures of your new access? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-30-2014 Thread Starter

Opening Up The Lazarette: Pictures of your new access?

My '65 Cal 30 has an afterdeck area with no topside access that is only accessible now with a very small vertical panel in the aft bulkhead of the cockpit.

While I can get to something right in the center behind this removable panel, it is so small that I can't really crawl in to reach other areas.

Since my boat has had a smaller (10' instead of original 14" boom) boom added, I don't use the aft traveller track for anything and this deck area wold make a great location for some topside lazarette access.

I am thinking about adding a large access hatch into the center that will open up this area and allow access more easily than crawling through the quarter berths.

Have any of you done something similar with your boat? If so, can you post a picture of two here?

Thanks.

Murph
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2014

Re: Opening Up The Lazarette: Pictures of your new access?

I've never done something similar, but I have an Alberg 35 with a lazaret hatch and I have to say it really makes things easy. With three cockpit hatches, (two benches, and lazaret), I can organize storage and keep things like the bilge pump handle and lines that are commonly used on top and accessible.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
and I have to say it really makes things easy. With three cockpit hatches, (two benches, and lazaret), I can organize storage and keep things like the bilge pump handle and lines that are commonly used on top and accessible.
Yes, that's why I feel that I need to do this; I just want to do it so it is good looking, functional and still usable for storage on top of it. My last boat (C&C 24) had a huge access along the starboard side that would allow me to crawl in and actually pass below the cockpit. While the lay out of my current boat allows access to the lazarette area through bulkheads at the end of the quarter berths, the access for anything stored inside through the cockpit "door" is laughable and very inconvenient.

I'm thinking painted oak framing with a painted fiberglass over marine ply top, but would sure like to see what anyone else who's added an access hatch has done.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-02-2014

Makes sense.

I know that with a lot of effort you could end up with a more integrated look doing it from scratch, but using a stock hatch would likely be more water tight.

Many more than these to select from. If you are desiring a real large opening, I'm sure the price goes up exponentially.

Access Hatch With Cam Latch - Tempress | Fisheries Supply

Jim Black 581-1620-04 16 X 20 Inch Arctic White Boat Deck Hatch / Door | Great Lakes Skipper

Tags
hatch , lazarette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.