New Cal 2-46 owner! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-16-2015 Thread Starter

New Cal 2-46 owner!

Hello everyone,

Jumping the gun a bit here, but the offer I made on a Cal 2-46 ketch was accepted and I've already scheduled the survey for next week.

Of course, it's possible they'll find something that kills the deal, but short of that, it looks like I'm in the club.

... and on that subject, I've been searching around and haven't managed to find any specific 2-46 owner's group.

Does anyone know of a registry, forum, or group for 2-46 owners?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-18-2015

Re: New Cal 2-46 owner!

I Have not seen any 246 specific forums, there is or was a pretty informative blog if you google s/v brightwater.
I purchased a 246 last August and I'm doing a complete refit, im about halfway thru the electrical system and rewire.

Welcome
post #3 of 17 Old 01-18-2015 Thread Starter

I've read through the owner of Brightwater's blog.. very interesting stuff, especially regarding tankage.

Have you spent much time sailing your 2-46? It's a stout rig, to be sure, and a small sail area, but I was a little worried about the ballast/displacement ratio. Do you find her to be particularly tender?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2015

Well she was not in sailable condition when we bought her, all the rigging needs to be replaced, she has a furling main and foresail and both furlers were locked up. we motored to the marina she's at now, and started the refit, when the electrical is finished the fuel and potable tanks are next, then the sanitation system, then the rigging, so I am shooting for a shakedown sail late this summer.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-19-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliderider View Post
Well she was not in sailable condition when we bought her, all the rigging needs to be replaced, she has a furling main and foresail and both furlers were locked up. we motored to the marina she's at now, and started the refit, when the electrical is finished the fuel and potable tanks are next, then the sanitation system, then the rigging, so I am shooting for a shakedown sail late this summer.
Interesting. Out of curiosity, roughly what are you expecting to spend on the rigging?

Is she a ketch or the sloop?

Have you priced out the tankage replacement?

My first passage will be getting her home from Oriental, NC (either inland via the ICW/Chesapeake, or some offshore towards New York if the weather is ideal) and the rigging is certainly in good enough shape for it (changed in 2009). I'm targeting end of april, and I'll gladly share my impressions.

It will be interesting, coming up from a MacGregor 26X.

I've crewed aboard a Fast Passage 39, a few CSes, a Nonsuch, and done some offshore work aboard a Nordhavn 47 trawler, but I've only ever owned/captained my little trailer sailor. Should be good times!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-19-2015

I know that boat we looked at it when we decided to get a 246. Well as far as rigging goes I will spend whatever it takes to make it right, I have a lot of experience with cables and rigging so I am confident in my ability to inspect and replace as needed. The boat we bought spent most of its time at the dock as a live aboard the rigging with the exception of the lines and furlers is in great shape, the bearing kits for the furlers are 500 each and I need two and I estimate the line replacement cost to be between 2000 and 3000, but that's every line on the boat.
I have priced fuel tanks in stainless steel,aluminum,poly, and ballistic fabric tanks as used by the military, I worked on many boats with aluminum tanks and I don't care for them, too much corrosion. The stainless would be ok but expensive, the ballistic fabric tanks need basically a coffin structure for support and are also expensive, I priced out having poly tanks made to same dimensions as the originals and the were 3k each without sending units or any plumbing, so I contacted moeller and they manufacture tanks that will work with some cradle modifications,however I will need to relocate the fills on deck which I plan to change anyway, I don't like flush deck fills they are to easy to get water into. I have to do some measuring and if they will fit I plan on increasing tankage to 150 gal each. We plan on extensive cruising and not having to worry about fuel will make it more enjoyable.

I don't have a lot of sailing experience other than my little trailer sailer but I have a lot of powerboat experience US Coast Guard as well as being a merchant marine for 14 years, I've been all over the world in all kinds of weather so I know what's out there, my wife is currently serving as Chief Mate on a ship that re supplies the navy, however she has a captains unlimited credential.
We plan on making it happen when I get the refit completed.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-24-2015 Thread Starter

Guess the odds of coming across a particular boat are pretty high when hull numbers barely pass double-digits, eh?

So I take it your boat is already fitted with sta-lok? Or were you planning to swage the new cable yourself?

Kinda surprised by the tank pricing. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to, for sure. I guess I've got some research to do there.

In any case, should receive the survey report some time tomorrow. Pretty excited!
post #8 of 17 Old 01-24-2015

That is exciting I hope your survey goes well,
yeah the tanks are pricey. I am doing all my own work so I dont have any labor costs. one thing I can suggest is, if you are doing the work yourself research the ABYC standards, its like renovating an old house if you change something it has to meet ABYC code, boat insurers insist on it. I removed two black garbage bags of derelict wires from years of helter skelter wiring. i've spent hours and hours and a wheelbarrow load of money redoing the wiring to meet ABYC specs.
The shrouds and backstay have sta-loc fittings installed, I have a hyde streamstay forestay so it doesnt have a wire it uses an extruded aluminum alloy rod. I will be changing all the chainplate bolts and rebedding.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-28-2015

Hi gentlemen. In case your interested there is a cal 2-46 Google Group; search for it and join up. Not super active but some posts and a few members. I bought my 2-46 in Mazatlan in Nov 2013 and have her home in Victoria BC now about 75% through a major refit of pretty much everything. No regrets on this though they are really wonderful boats and I just don't think much else compares. (not that I am biased of course! )
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2015

There is an active user's group on Google: cal46.. lots of great information sharing and quite active.

Send an email to request to join.

Regards
David s/v Merry Dolphin

"The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labours hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective". -- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
2-46 , cal , ketch

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.