Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006

DPS1 is on a distinguished road
New owner of Cal Crusing 36 design information?

Greetings from Port Angeles - Washington State.

I just bought a 1971 Cal Cuising 36. Are there any resources or user's groups that can help me with sail sizes, air draft (bridge clearance), and boat-specific tips and tricks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2006

thudbranch is on a distinguished road
try Calyachts.org
Old 10-18-2006

BillandLene is on a distinguished road
Hello DPS1 - we bought our CC36 a year ago in Seattle, and moor her on Orcas Island. Not so far away. Our boat was in pretty rough shape, and we did a HUGE amount of work on her last summer (we live in Houston and spend summers in the NW). I've also found info hard to obtain. There is an owner's group, but it doesn't seem to be very active at the moment. I also found it through Calyachts.org.

The deck-to-truck mast height on our boat (standard, I think) is a bit over 40 ft, which would give an air draft of perhaps 46-47. We are having a new main made this winter, by Schattauer in Seattle. They will measure the boat in Jan., and when we have that info I'd happily share it.
Old 12-04-2006

ReganJames is on a distinguished road
Cruising Cal 36

Greetings DPS1, I too just purchased a CC36 here in Santa Barbara. There is quite a bit to do - the fuel tanks leak, which promises to be difficult. I have some brochures and general info which was forwarded to me that I can forward to you if that is of interest. I have not located original manuals and design info. There is an active Cal group at Yahoo Groups.
Old 12-31-2006

DPS1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all responders

I've been absent for a few months, but just checked in and found several replies to my questions.

Updates on Cal Cruising 36 "GEM" formerly "Discovery" and before that "Puffin":
It has been a project. Haul and survey, new batteries, bottom paint, zincs, new seacocks, new cutless bearing, new bilge pumps (2), relocated bilge strainer, replaced all underwater hoses and clamps, replaced cockpit drains (can you believe the factory used sink drains with pot-metal threaded nuts?), new hot water heater, re-plumbed fuel lines and added pulse pump and additional diesel valves and by-pass loops for ease of filter changes and bleeding lines. The installed Perkins 4-108 is a bit cranky about air in the lines. Radar soon to be added, and the electrical wiring is a mess.

The fuel tank is leaking on my boat too! I have not yet tackled that issue. I am considering a bladder inside the existing tank. I have read about epoxy treatments that seal the inside of the tank. I have considered cutting the largest possible hole in the plywood cabin sole, and then cutting a round hole into the tank top to inspect and clean before sealing. Failing that, I would then cut the tank into pieces to remove it. Then the plan would be to replace the single tank with two saddle tanks. It is a daunting thought.
Old 01-31-2007

ReganJames is on a distinguished road
CC36 leaking tanks

DPS1, I managed to get the tanks out by removing the floor between galley and dinette and nibbling and sawing the tank into two parts which I could (with considerable effort) manipulate out. Very hard work! I am having two tanks fabricated which will be joined by tube and then relocating the batteries in the newly available space. I will take some pictures and post. My electrics are also a mess, but that project is more manageable.
Old 06-11-2007

Mokarran is on a distinguished road
First off, Hello! I'll work on an introduction later, I'm not good at writing about myself. I do have a question, I found a boat for sale, advertised as a Cal 36, I haven't been able to find much information on the design. And, oddly enough, most of the pictures I find online of "36 Cal's" look different. (I'll include pictures below) this one seems to have a raised cabin, which is absent on other models.

Here goes, is this a Lapworth design? I am planning to use it as a live-aboard in Jacksonville, FL (I am currently in Islamorada), is it a good liveaboard? Fin Keel or full? What would be a reasonable price for this boat? The boat has a Perkins 4-108 with less than 65 hrs, but that's about all I know about it. I just want general information and opinions on the boat. Thanks!

Pic:
Old 07-01-2007

QuoiCaDit is on a distinguished road
Cal 36 Cruising

I have one. She's called "Quoi Ca Dit". I completely rebuilt her in 2000-1 replacing all the main bulkheads and all the furniture in the main cabin. I hauled out the fuel tank, cleaned it (over a gallon of sludge in it) and gave it a good coat of paint and a large inspection hatch.

QCD has since cruised from Alabama to Trinidad, crossed the Atlantic to Poole, England in 2003 and recrossed back to the Caribbean in 2005.

I was my intention to do a circumnavigation but she has been badly damaged in an accident within a few hours of being stored on land in Power Boats boatyard in Trinidad. I have now been fighting for nearly a year for adequate compensation.

QCD was a beautiful boat. She sailed exceptionally well. The hull is well laminated with woven rovings and is over 12mm think in the bilge. She's behaved very well and I'm really gutted that she has been damaged so badly.

By the way .... The fuel tank has a lot of baffles in it so you cant put a bladder inside.

If anyone can add weight to the build quality of the Cals I would like to here from them. The insurers are saying that they were built cheap

I rather suspect that the keel was moulded in two parts with another section laminated in in way of the stern tube. Is there anyone out there that confirm this?
Old 08-01-2014
MC Cal 20 Owner

MI Cal 20 is on a distinguished road
Re: New owner of Cal Crusing 36 design information?

If you need there is a letter from lapworth on triming for cal 36s I can send it if you dont find it on the net

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.