SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 30-2 1969

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RNC725 
#1 · (Edited)
I acquired a CAL 30-2 boat last year and I am in need of all the possible info about these boats, type of construction (core or no core), possiblity of using a tide grid supported on the keel only? and many more questions about various aspects of the boat, including rating, sailplan, rigging, exact dimensions and weight....

Could you please help,

Thanks

EricoPedro

#2 ·
I crewed on a Cal 2-30 "RAMPAGE" out on the SF bay, doing the MORA series. Check out sailplan on BACON sails. its a 7/8 fractional rig. PHRF should be around 178-180 depending on pole length, max size headsail. etc... I believe that the Cal 2-30 might have the dreaded steel beam that may need replacing. Some owners have used a bore scope to check their beams. She is narrow for the weight and will do well to weather even in rough chop and heavy seas. She will scoot in a blow with a chute up. Had her up on a plane on some big rollers coming in from the light ship. Good access to the Atomic4, and some had monel water tanks. LOA = 30' 8"
LWL = 25' 0"
Beam = 9' 0"
Draft = 5' 0"
Displacement = 10,300 pounds
Ballast = 4,500 pounds
I = 37'
J = 12.33'
P = 35'
E = 13.5'

#3 ·
Cal 3-30 vs 2-30?

The Cal 3-30 has the steel beam under the mast step. I am purchasing one now and have inspected several. It weighs 10,500 lbs bare and has 4500 lbs of lead in the keel and a PHRF of around 160. The 2-30 is a lighter boat with less balast and a PHRF rating of around 180. See calyachts.org for sales brochures and other info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.