Just bought a Cal 39 MKII... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Just bought a Cal 39 MKII...

Hi all, just bought (well, only the survey left) a Cal 39 MKII. I have tread so much about this boat and it seems everybody is super enthusiastic. Mine has a practically new engine (54 HP) and all rigging (both 2010), fridge, electronics etc. I think I made a good deal at 42.5K, but let's await the verdict after the survey. I have some questions, maybe someone here can help out:

1- Mine is a 1977 model, launched 1978... Now that sounds weird, because the MKII only started in 1978. Maybe I have the first one, which they started building in 1977 and finished in 1978? How to check?
2- How do I check if my Cal 39 is a tall rig or a short rig?
3- I can't find a Cal 39 owner forum. Anyone knows if there is one?
4- What to check for during the survey? I read up a lot and found the following, but it may be incomplete:
-Rudder issues
-Serious blistering on some Cal 39ís
-Whole mechanical steering system (exterior and interior)
-Steel beam for the mast step (encased in the boat's structural fiberglass pan) is prone to rusting, being that itís made of galvanized steel. Some boats have a screw in type inspection port, with others, youíll need to use a borescope. Should the beam need replacing, you pretty much have to disassemble (destroy) the entire internal fiberglass structure inside of the boat in order to do this. Along with all of the furniture, & bulkheas as well.
-The hull to deck joints are crap. And leak a lot. Some have been re-glassed, which fixes the problem
-Stringers and floors and exterior trim (cabin soles are weak and flex, and thus the table wobbles, exerting undue leverage on the sole).
-Original traveler systems were low quality.
-The deck is balsa-cored. Check for rot/ soft deck
-Deck delamination and leaky hull-to-deck joints issues
-The nonskid is likely well worn
-Teak toerail
-Be sure to check the wire terminals on the standing rigging for cracks and crevice corrosion
-Many boats have plastic portlights, be wary of broken dogs and cracked frames
-The original teak-and-holly cabin sole is not well supported and may need work

Thanks so much, any reply is appreciated!
Bart
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Just bought a Cal 39 MKII...

Welcome to the CAL family! Well, almost.

As to if you are looking at a Mk1 or a Mk2, they are completely different boats. Sailboatdata.com says the Mk1 was only made for a few year in the early 70s then replaced by the Mk2 in the late 70s. I suspect this is a Mk2. Here's the data on the Mk2.
CAL 39 MK II (1-147) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
And here's the Mk1.
CAL 39 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Note the different keel, rudder, etc.

If the listing doesn't specify if its a standard or tall ring, have the surveyor take some rig measurements with a tape measure to confirm.

Good luck!

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.