Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009

jolson is on a distinguished road
looking for sails for Cal 22

I'm looking for sails for my Cal 22. It is a boat that does not get a lot of use so I'm really trying to go the budget route. If you know of any used sails from someone who is upgrading, please let me know.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2009

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Jolson,

I'll keep you in mind. I research Cal 22 quite a bit....thats how I stumbled across the sails I bought. They are both on now, and what a difference! The old sails were adequate, but the orignal Pryde sails fit sooo much better.

I'll let you know in here if I come across anything or if I decide to let my old sails go. Like I said there not great, but they are better than nothing. My plan was to keep them as back ups. The genny fits fine, albeit a bit worn. The main is a little small, but in decent shape. It always had a wrinkle in it somewhere because it just didn't quite fit perfect.

Ron
Old 05-26-2009

WTP is on a distinguished road
keel ?

Im looking to buy an '85 Cal 22 this weekend in Charleston, SC, but don't really know much about the boat. Like everyone says, theres not alot of info available on the net about the Cal. First of all, Im not sure which type of keel it has. Either a 3'6" draft or a 2'10". The boat has been in salt water for 4 years and im sure has barnacles all over the bottem, so i didn't want to dive in and feel for myself. Does anyone know an easier way to find out without putting it on a trailer? My dad's friend has a Ranger 23' and was told that trailer should work ok...but might have to adjust around the keel.

I have owned a Catalina 22' swing keel before, and was kind of skeptical about getting a fixed keel seeing how I don't have a wet slip and I would be trailering it each time. Does anyone have any specs. on the Cal 22 such as the hull speed? Any info would be great! I read someone say something about the shoal draft keel not being very good. Why is that? Thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2009

WTP,

Since you previously owned a sailboat, I suspect the little man in your head is telling you that you have to get the boat out of the water and inspect the hull. Cal 22 have a problem with blisters and you need to clean off some sea crap and see if it has blisters. Blisters are not the end of the world, but they are a major project, therefore lowering the value of the boat and it may be a deal breaker unless you are willing to take on the task or pay someone to properly repair the blisters.

The shoal draft will make trailering a lot easier. The fin keel requires a launch that is steep and deep or a really long extension on your trailer....or both. To be honest, I would not use my boat much if I had to launch it every time out. The mast requires two burly guys to raise....three people is better. It is not a problem if you always have three people with you to launch, unfortunately I don't. You really need to strong people on the mast and one to work the pins at the base.

I can't speak to the performance of the shoal keel model, but unless you are racing, the benefit of easier launching might out weigh any loss of performance anyway. My Cal (fin keel) does point well and sails well in light wind too. She is easy to get moving.

Somewhere in the back of my head I have the number 6.2 for hull speed....I'm not sure that is correct. It’s probably very similar to a Cat 22. I've had mine at 5.8 on a run. I was probably in too much wind to be honest. I comfortable beat at 4.6 - 5.0 in 10 to 15 knots..... Over 15 and its time to reef.

Here is a link to some others for sale if you need a price reference...don't forget some of these have a trailer and motor. Cal 22 Sailboat Photo Gallery

I think they are really fun boats. Hope it goes well for you.

Ron

Last edited by NotQuiteCapnRon; 05-29-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-08-2009

WTP is on a distinguished road
Hey Ron, Thanks for the tips.

So I went to Charleston this weekend...my plan was to pull it out at high tide (7:47pm) so the current wouldn't be so strong. We had a few problems but finally got the boat on the trailer and out of the water. You were right...it was nasty.. It had been in salt water for at least 4 years maybe more. and we were wrong...it was a fin keel.

The mast was very tough to get down...all the rigging was very stiff and tight. I undid 1 of the stays on each side(the one that goes to the top of the mast..not sure what those are called) and took the forestay pin and my friend lowered it to me. It took 3 of us and was almost impossible to get the mast pins out. But we did and drove it 2 hours back to Columbia,...didn't get back til 4:30am.

The last 2 days, I have been cleaning the hell out of it...scrapped the bottem and pressure washed it. Its pretty smooth now. I was surprised but It appears to have no blisters. Im ready to put it back in the water now, but being how its so hard to raise and lower the mast, I want to find a permanent place to keep it where I can leave it up and rigged ready to go.

I do have a few questions though:

1) Do you know the Cal 22's rating?...if I were interested in racing it
2) Does the sail number indicate when it was produced. Mine is 57..does that mean it was the 57th produced.
3) i had a few more...but can't think of them right now.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009

I do not know the phrp and I have looked on the internet quite bit for that information. I have corresponded with a couple of Cal 22 owners that raced and their clubs based it on Catalina 22's. Both of these owners sheepishly admitted that they thought the Cal 22 was faster, but they are proud boat owners, so who knows. I have seen comments on the internet that support Cal 22's being a bit faster than the Cat 22. The guy I got my boat from raced it on the Ohio River....he claimed the club was happy he was selling it.

Where is this sail number located on the sail? I have never noticed any numbers other than 22 on mine and I have original Neil Pryde sails now. Perhaps someone had sails made for the boat and that is just the number for racing purposes???

Good deal on the lack of blisters.

I know what you mean about getting on the trailer and out of the water....You get the boat on the trailer and with the fin keel it sure looks a lot bigger all of sudden. LOL

I was a little bummed when I discovered the wife and I couldn't step the mast by ourselves, but we always intended to keep in the marina at the local lake, so its just a matter of pulling it out once every year or two to clean and refinish the bottom now.

Congrats!

Ron
Old 08-06-2009

jhgrav3 is on a distinguished road
Ron,
I see that you purchased a set of original sails for your CAL22 by any chance do you know of anyone that's no longer using their "Mircro Reefer" that came on the 1985 86 CAL22's, or maybe someone who's upgraded to a newer furler? I've had a CAL22 here on Percy Preist lake in Nashville TN for a couple of years and my "Drum" on my micro reefer is cracked... I've got it fixed up enough to continue to use it but I'd like to find a new drum instead of replacing the entire furler. CDI, who manufactured the furler no longer has this part available. Just an FYI for those of you who have recently purchased a CAL22 I do have all the original owners manual's and can make copies fairly easily if someone would like a copy.
Old 08-06-2009

jhgrav3,

I do not have a connection to the original furler. I did quiz the guy I got the sails from about other parts....the only other Cal 22 equipment he had was a used, original boom. He was selling the sails on Craigslist near Boston.

I sailed....check it...floated on Percy Priest a few years back. No wind, high humidity and about 98 degrees made the admiral cranky. We day chartered a little boat somewhere there on the lake...surely conditions are normally better than what we saw that day. It was expensive too. Then the guy at the dock hit us up for the price of a gallon of gas, because he knew we had to motor. Not exactly a great way to get someone to come back after they laid out a couple hundred to charter a boat for 3 miserable hours.

I would be curious to see the Cal 22 manual. I'm not sure there would be anything in it I haven't figured out by now, but you never know. Do you find it useful? Any discussion of rig tuning?

Ron
Old 09-01-2009

jhgrav3 is on a distinguished road
Rig Tuning

There is not much in the owners manual about rig tuning but I'll try to remember and bring it home tonight and start scanning it. Quick question where did you purchase your rigid vang? and at what cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-01-2009

I don't mind you asking at all. I got it from Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -70954

I think it was $275 at the time. If you check around forums, I think you will find many happy Garhauer customers. They built a nice, custom rigid vang for me at a much lower price than anywhere else I researched. It is a quality piece of equipment....nothing cheesy about it. It makes a big difference in comfort and sailing on the Cal.

Although I do not feel I did the best job mounting mine, I don't think it was that tough and would do it again. You do need to tap some threads in the mast and boom. I just underestimated the importance of tapping the threads at exactly the same angle as the boom shape, so the first couple I did are not perfectly tight. I will probably redo them in the future.

Take a look at this Wilkie's Sailboat Page and you might want to search the installation project on google so you know what you are getting into. I read through a few peoples experiences and learned a bit. Garhauer supplies instruction as well. I found them good to work with.

Ron