Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009

Pneumatic is on a distinguished road
New Cal 22 Owner. Eugene, OR

Hello fellow cal 22 owners. I recently upgraded from a '78 Cat 22 to a '88 Cal 22. Huge improvement over the Cat 22. I haven't sailed her yet because it did not come with sails and the reservoir is drained for the winter but I can't wait to get her on the water and see what she can do. We plan on buying the sail kits from sailrite and making our own sails. I'll let you guys know how that works out. The boat has a few minor issues and I am needing some advice/help from other cal 22 owners. First; the torque bearings-the plastic extrusions that connect the furler extrusions- are broken and CDI no longer has replacement parts. Any suggestions on how to repair the furler? If it can't be fixed I might have some parts available and just use hanked on head sails. Second, there appears to be a ceramic gooseneck that connects the boom to the mast but no pins or bolts to attach to either one. Could someone provide picture of how the boom connects to the mast? Last; the post for the table is missing. I contacted Recmar and they no longer have parts for the table. Again, could someone provide pictures and measurements for the post so I might fab one myself. Besides the previously stated issues the bottom has hundreds of small blisters. I'm thinking of not doing anything about it for a season and stripping the gelcoat and applying an epoxy barrier coat next year. Any thoughts? This winter I plan on removing all the deck hardware and re-bedding it. I also plan on buffing out and polishing the gelcoat on the topside and deck. Other than the blisters she’s in good shape and should clean up very nice. I look forward to your comments, suggestions and assistance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2009

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Pneumatic,

Congrats on the new boat.

First, I'm no help on the roller furling repair. The furler sure is a great thing to have. Second, SEE PHOTO....I am not convinced this is the complete, original gooseneck arrangement, but the photo may help you come up with something that works for you. If you have to fabricate or adapt a gooseneck for her, keep in mind that the horizontal axsis of the gooseneck will be imparitive if you ever decide to add a rigid boom vang. Third, I don't think the earlier models had the table....I have an 85 and have not seen any indicators that there was a table, so I am no help there. I have seen photos of Cal 22's with tables at Cal 22 Sailboat Photo Gallery The site is the best resource for photos of Cal 22's I have found.
Lastly, my research on blisters indicates that to properly fix them, they should be drilled and drained before refinishing the bottom. There is information and procedures on how this is done readily available on this site and many others. Mine had blisters too, but lucky for me, the previous owner fixed them before I purchased.

I would be happy to send along any other photos to demonstrate rigging or hardware for you. Just let me know. I believe that jhgrav3, another Cal 22 owner in this forum, is working on scanning his manual. I'm not sure how much help it will be, but it might be interesting to see.

I'll be interested to see how you think the Cal compares to the Cat from a sailing standpoint.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Any Cal 22 Owners?-callie-goosneck.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009

BTW...I fashioned a table that fits between the cockpit seats as well as the the settees in the salon. I put a couple of stops on it to keep it from slipping off one way or the other. It works well. You can slide it fore and aft to any position you need it in the cockpit. No holes in the boat....it just rest there and then I throw it under the cushion aft with the drop boards when not in use. Next time I remember, I'll take a photo. Its nothing elaborate though....just a functional place to set the cheese, crackers and drink at anchor.

Ron
Old 10-19-2009

Ron,

Thanks for the reply and the picture of the gooseneck. It appears that I have a different mast and boom than you. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to help give you a better idea of what configuration I have. I'll also post some photos of the plastic part that I need for my furler and the bracket the table post mounts to.

Martin
Old 10-20-2009

Martin,

Here is a photo of the table. Unfortunately, I don't think this will be much help for building one.

http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/med/m_958.jpg

I'm not sure why you would have a different mast and boom, unless yours was replaced. I believe that I have original boom and mast. Could be that our boats were built in different yards and they used different materials. They moved the Cal factory in 85 from Tampa, Florida to Fall River, Massachusetts. Perhaps they rigged things differently after the move. I have noticed that some Cal 22's have a more rounded bow rail than mine, and as we mentioned, I don't think mine ever had a table.

I'm heading out for a sail today. We have mid 60s and a 10-15 knot breeze.

Ron
Old 10-21-2009

Ron,

I tried to post some pictures yesterday but I was not able to upload the pictures. Kept getting an error.
I did some research on my mast and boom today. Turns out I have a mast and boom manufactured by "Isomat". Did a search and found a web site that has parts for the goose neck assembly. "rigrite.com" .The site says they specialize in hard to find parts. I'm going to check if they have the torque bearings for the furler.
Next project is to find some tubing for the table. The brackets have a 1" diameter ID holes for the post. I'm thinking of using 304 stainless steel tubing for the post. Only problem is I'll need to bend it. I'm thinking of using a electrical conduit bender to bend the tube. Do you think it will work?
Did you have a good day sailing?

Martin
Old 10-22-2009

Martin,

I'm clueless on bending tubing, but you might come across someone in another area of this forum that could answer or help.

Just a suggestion, but as long as your updating and repairing rigging, I think you should take a look at putting a rigid boom vang on her if cost is not a problem. The one Garhauer makes for our boat is about $300 and is great. It's really nice for me, because I am sailing solo most of the time....quick to reef, and I don't have the boom on the deck interfering with the tiller when I lower the main. Obviously, it helps with sailing performance as well.

Had a great day sailing by myself on Tuesday. Great, consistent wind all day, which is rare on our lake. It was 12-15 knots...perfect for the Cal 22 to have a vigorous solo sail. Our lake is narrow, so I do a lot of tacking. Then I pried my wife away from her desk on Wednesday and sailed again. Just a little 4-8 knots, favoring the 4 side, but we had a nice leisurely sail.

I should take some photos if I can get back out this week...we're in full fall colors in Kentucky right now. The lake has very few boaters this time of year, so it is quite peaceful and beautiful.

I'll keep teasing you with these stories so you are inspired to get her finished and in the water.

Ron
Old 11-29-2009

seajoe is on a distinguished road
Cal 22 sails

I have owned a Cal22 for about 15 years. I have had had sails made, but if you want a low cost way to get pretty good sails, you can use a J22 main. Used J22 mains are readily available in condition ranging from nearly near (one or two regattas on them) to real beaters. If there are any J22 sailors in your area, just ask around and you will find plenty of mainsails. You may find a J22 genoa, but these are rare. The J22 was originally sold with pulpits and 150% genoa gear. I added jib tracks to the cabin top of my Cal 22 so I could sail with a working jib. If you do this, you can use J22 jibs too. I haven't tried a J22 kite yet, but I plan on it. I have a lot of information about the design and history of this boat if you are interested. I have also made a number of modifications to the boat:
- took off the transom traveler and replaced it with a traveler spanning the cockpit. this is really great for sailing, but it does mess up the large cockpit. I usually single hand the boat, so it is a good change for me.
- added cabin top jib tracks and I usually sail with a 110% working jib
- rebuilt the gooseneck using a block of stainless
- rebuilt the outhaul
- added a solid vang
- removed the cruising design furler, may be interested in putting a Harken furler on later
- added a backstay adjuster which pulls down on the split backstay
- faired the keel (the factory didn't do a very good job with this)
- Considering a higher aspect ratio rudder. The monster the boat came with is, well.. a monster.
- added spinnaker gear

I will post some history next
Old 11-29-2009

seajoe is on a distinguished road
Cal 22 design and history

Here is some history about the Cal22 from some personal coorospondence I had with the boat’s project manager, Robert W. Stringer, about 3 years ago...

“… I was the head of New Product Development @ O'Day/Cal in the late '80's. The Cal 22 was my first Job there. It was started in the Cal plant in Tampa and then moved to Fall River, MA in the O'Day plant in 85. There were about 100 22's made and all the info on them was destroyed when we went into Chapter 7. The 22 was a great boat with no signif. warranty problems. As you know she is simple but elegant and we designed her to be a fast day boat. The most boats were sold in CT (by Milford Boat Works) and in Charlotte NC. We had just formed a class organization and were about to hold our first nationals (in NC) when we folded. The deep keel was the best sailor and accounted for about 75%. The only thing I would do if i bought one (and it's on my list to do) would be to replace the Cruising Designs furler with a Harken. It was designed by C. Raymond Hunt Associates (Peter Boyce) on Long Wharf in Boston and they probably still have a little info.

Ray Hunt was long dead, (1970) when these boats were built but his design firm, C. Raymond Hunt Associates pressed on and did all the modern designs for both CAL and O'Day. Jim Hunt, one of Ray's sons was President of the company at that time. Peter Boyce was basically the in house designer at CRHA for both O'Days and CAL along with help from John Deknatal (who worked with Ray) and Winn Willard. John and Winn did most of the custom stuff and powerboat stuff while Peter worked with us on the sailboats.

The CAL 24 was also a CRHA boat. We discontinued it when we brought the 22 out. While I have a real soft spot for the 22 if I had my choice at about the same price I would get a deep keel 24.

Almost all the C-22's were built at the O'Day plant in Fall River, MA. The prototype (on the brochure) and first few were built in the CAL plant in Tampa, FL before we closed it down. At the time the C22 was started we were owned by (but up for sale by) Lier Seigler Corp. We were in the "Starcraft" division at that time which was all the retail recreational marine products (Starcraft powerboats, Prindle Catamarans, CAL and O'day). Jim Hunt was president of the Sailboat division.

In regard to downwind speed, Peter Boyce of Hunt Associates who did the design was convinced when we built the boat (cause I asked him specifically) that you could fly a masthead kite with no mods. Yeah, the keels were pretty rough. They were done by Mars Metals who did all of our keels and we weren't willing to pay a whole bunch to have a really fair keel made.

Soon after Jim left we underwent a leveraged buy-out (very popular in the '80's) with management participating and with most of the money coming from a LBO guy named Lance Funston. Lance was a Texan who had done one other LBO with a furniture company.

At the same time the market was going to hell due to inflation in the '80's and the "Luxury Tax". Things went downhill pretty soon after that. Our mast and rigging supplier and our cushion manufacturer all sent us into chapter 7 bankruptcy. When I heard, the first thing I tried to do was get into the plant and save all the plans, R&D stuff and MCO's (manufacture change orders: which told when we did what on each boat) but it all was shredded in the first few days on the bank's orders !!!!)

When the auction finally came, most of the molds were bought by Pearson. The unfinished boats were sold off to the general public (watch out for some of these that were finished by guys in their backyard!). Pearson tried to build s couple of the O'Days, but sold off the CAL molds to a guy in Little Compton, RI. He built one 39 a couple of years later and showed it at Newport and Annapolis, but had no bites and went under. I have no idea where the CAL molds are now.

No O'Days or CALs were (to my knowledge) ever built in Canada.”

- Robert W. Stringer
Old 11-30-2009

Thanks SeaJoe. It is nice to read some history about Cal22's conception and turbulent early/only years.

Post a photo of your Cal sometime if you have a chance. I would be interested to see the gooseneck...I think mine is of questionable design and may not be the original.

Do you find the new traveler to be an advantage going to wind. I do see how the original is limiting to angle and a bit cumbersome to adjust on the move. I would not give up the cockpit space for your modification, as the admiral specifically requested "that thingy not be in the way" when we were searching for a boat to buy, but I would consider something easier to adjust.

I have also added a rigid vang...that is a great mod for the Cal22.

Thanks again....great post!

Ron