Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009

Sugaree34 is on a distinguished road
Seajoe, that is great info on what is a great boat. I had a shoal draft that was the best little bay boat ever made! That boat was quick off the wind or reaching. In 20 knots reefed
down tight that boat could hold it's own (albeit in miniscule bay chop). I busted a backstay rivet on the masthead casting which when inspected was aluminum. Don't know too much about the seacocks, they were slightly above the waterline, but looked cheap & plastic. I replaced the furler which was only about 300. And was well worth it. Only other issue I had was that I wiped out that little teak trim strip on the cabinhouse.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2010

seajoe is on a distinguished road
Cal22

I will post a picture in the future. I have moved to Florida and I don't have any of the photo's down here. When I get back up North (to to be over 70 deg F before I go back), I will post one.

The center cockpit traveler is great (for me). The boat sails much better. You can take the traveler to windward, all the way to the seat back. It is much like a J22 now. After sailing a J22 for several years I find the tuning guide for the J22 works pretty well for the Cal22. The J22 routinely sails with the traveler right about where the seat ends (about a foot to weather of the centerline). I also put a windward sheeting car on the traveler which is wonderful for single handed sailing. I first used one of these on a T-10 where it is just about standard equipment. If you don't know what this is, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

I tried to use the old traveler on the transom for a year or two, by removing the pins and putting traveler controls on and leading them forward. It provided a marginally better set up.

For the cockpit traveler, I measured the span including the seats and bought a harken, small boat traveler. They had two profiles, one thinner and one taller and stronger. I went with the taller one. Since the seats are contoured, I had to make spacers for mounting the thing. They are made by cutting off pieces of an aluminum tube. It comes in contact with the seats where they end toward the center, and there are 4 or 5 screws that secure it on both ends. The traveler control lines are 2:1 and run from the sides to the windward sheeting car and then back to the seat backs where they are directed forward a few inches and upwards through a cam cleat. I generally sail the boat from a position in front of the traveler. I have a longish solid hiking stick, and the forward position allows me to reach all the cabin top lines without dropping the tiller. I am a big guy and the boat doesn't like it when I am behind the traveler.

So, for me, having the traveler in the cockpit isn't a problem, but it really does mess up one of the best features of the boat, the huge cockpit. The large cockpit really is nice for such a small boat. I have seen lots of 70's and 80's vintage boats in the 25-30 foot range with cockpits 1/2 the size. If you consider how you are likely going to be using the boat, the large cockpit is probably a high priority. Anyway, I think they got that part right.

I did mention that the J22 tuning guide is pretty good for the Cal. I had a tuning guide made up by Shore sails a few years ago, but it was basically the Greg Fisher (North One-Design) school of thought... Set the uppers to a known equal tension and then adjust the lowers until they "just go slack" on the leeward side when sailing up wind. I have also played around with more mast rake by adding links on the forestay. The boat seams to go upwind a little better, but it is hard to tell with no other Cal22 to tune with. I have about 1/2" to 1" of pre-bend with the backstay off, (which is what the last main I had was built for), but I can put about 4" or more in when I honk down on it. Generally I don't really need to completely flatten the main unless it is really blowing (over 20). I'd love to find a tapered mast, which I would replace in a heartbeat if I found one cheap.

Anyway, I will be bringing the boat to Florida and sailing around the west coast a bit. I can't wait!

The last time I raced the boat was in an "open" JAM regatta. All sorts of boats separated into two classes (fast, and slow... go figure). Anyway we did a horizon job on the "slow class" that we were in and beat all the "fast" boats boat for boat except one, an SR-21, which I regret to this day. I am sure he was happy too, because there were a heap of much larger boats. Anyway it was a "fun" regatta, so I am smiling as I write this...
Old 02-18-2010

seajoe is on a distinguished road
windward sheeting on he Cal22

I was wrong about how I have the windward sheeting car set up on the boat. I haven't seen it in awhile. I will take some pictures... the cam cleats are part of the car, so there aren't any cam cleats on the seat backs anymore. I did have these before I added the windward sheeting car. Anyway, the traveler is led back to the seat back where it is very easy to reach when you are sitting on the coaming. BTW, another nice feature, the wide coaming, for "sugar" hiking while sailing single handed. I need to add some foot blocks to keep my feet from slipping off the seats when I am sitting up there.
Old 03-14-2010

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
SeaJoe,

I'll have to take a look at that tuning guide...I think I have considerably more weather helm than I should, which probably is slowing the boat to wind. I've tried flattening everything, over tightening, to see if I could correct the helm balance, but it's still significant. There is almost no wind situation where I can let go of the tiller or leave the helm when going to wind...she will always come up quickly. In fact, she'll head up if let go of the tiller running too. I intend to decrease the rake this spring and see if that helps. When I look at other boats rake, I do not think mine looks over done, but there is room to adjust without being straight or forward at all....which from what I have read is a no no. My furler occasionally sticks, so I have to tie off the tiller and make a mad dash forward and back to get the last few feet of the genny out before the weather helm overwhelms my attempt to hold the tiller.

How is the helm balance on yours?
Do you have any ideas on correcting weather helm on Cal 22's?

Ron
Old 03-15-2010

Cal 22 phrf rating

I believe somewhere in this forum someone asked about Cal 22 phrf.....Stumbled across this....according to The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising Sailboats By Steve Henkel the average phrf rating for a Cal 22 is 234.

The problem I see with this rating is that he contradicts himself within article where he compares the Cal 22 to other boats. He states that "the deep keel does not match the performance of a Capri 22, which is evidenced by the phrf number", but when he list the specs for the Cal 22 phrf in a comparison chart, he uses the shoal keel 2' 10" draft spec. So I am not sure how one could conclusively determine which he meant. I think we all know the fin keel is faster to wind, but I can't tell if he gave the phrf rating for the fin keel and the shoal keel depth was a typo/misprint, or if he did give the correct number for the shoal keel and just forgot what he wrote above.

Here is the link if you want to have a look for yourself...The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising ... - Google Books

let me know if I am missing something. I am just trying to learn about racing and phrf.

Ron
Old 03-23-2010

capteos is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to capteos
Smile CAL-22 Mast Raising

For those that are interested, Catalina Direct, sells a mast raising system called Mastup Mast Stepper that mounts on the Rudder Pintals and telescopes up to 9 1/2 feet supporting the mast while initial connections are made and then two people can easilly put it into final position while the headstay is fastened. I had one for my Catalina 25 that worked very well. Am getting another for my Cal-22.
Capteos
Old 03-23-2010

I'm a nuther new (old) CAL 22 owner

Thanks to several contributers of Cal 22 information on this site, especially to SeaJoe and NotQuiteCaptRon.

I recently obtained a 1985 Cal 22 from the Atlanta, GA area and towed it down here to the Bayoo country (SE Texas near Houston). This boat seems to have spent alot of time in the water just sitting as the sun cover was rotted but the 130% roller headsail was practically new. It has the original pin stop traveler that has been the source of much conversation and a few bottom blisters which don't concern me much since I have done several bottom jobs on race boats with good results.

The interior of the boat was damn near like new. The sail plan is almost identical to J-22, Capri 22, Ranger 22 to mention a few so there should be plenty of good sails available without too much cost.

I am interested to find out about performance variation between the Masthead rig and the Fractional rig. The rig seems to be plenty stout to fly a masthead chute if one were interested in a little more pulling power. I am more concerned about going to weather performance in pointing ability in comparing the masthead headsail vs the fractional headsail. The masthead headsail should give about 10% more sail area.

Would appreciate any info on this subject.

Larry
Old 03-23-2010

Larry,

Congrats!

Can't provide any first hand info on the masthead vs. fractional rig, but I think the deep keel points to weather quite well based on what I have read and limited experience with other boats. Having said that, outside of a few small boat, day charters, I have almost nothing to compare the Cal to hands on. My recollection of the day charter boats is that they were all slugs compared to my Cal.

On the lake I sail, the only other boats to play/race against are Oday 25, Oday 302 and recently added Catalina 250....but I have yet to see the sails on the Cat. Other than many hours on my Cal, most of my experience is on much bigger charter boats....difficult to draw any comparisons. I would comment that with the original genoa on the furler (fractional), my Cal has significant weather helm anywhere over 8 knots. (I am working on tuning to help that...just purchased a Loos gauge) Although my sails are obviously aged, they were well taken care of, possibly lightly used, and do not show excessive wear. I reef the genny in around 12-14. I have a swirly and gusty place to sail, so that plays a part in the reefing decision....I think if I were in consistent 14 knots, I might feel OK with the full sail...I think heel would be uncomfortable and compromise speed over 15.

I think I am faster to wind than the Oday 302, but he usually out runs me. He lives on his boat part time, so he has a lot of weight in there. I've circled back to make sure there was nothing wrong with the Oday 25 when we raced.

The traveler will barely center the boom. Not that I know a lot about racing, but I suspect you will want to modify that system if you want optimal performance from the rest of the boat. As you say, previous post address some ideas for that mod. I'm not giving up the cockpit space to expand my traveler, but I am looking into getting rid of the stop pins and putting something on there that could actually be used effectively while sailing. I'm on a narrow lake, so I tack a lot. Right now I pretty much leave the traveler centered (compromise), which does not center the boom. I do have the Garhauer rigid boom vang, which is a great mod.

I'm starting my racing career this spring. I'll be crewing on a Thistle and a Highlander, so that experience will likely give me more insight on how my Cal handles.

Sure wish we were all on the same water....just a dream...

Ron
Old 03-23-2010

Larry,

Have you seen this photo?http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/med/m_955.jpg

Looks like the boat was designed with a spinnaker in mind. The photo is from the original brochure.

Ron

Last edited by NotQuiteCapnRon; 03-23-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-24-2010

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteos View Post
Thanks to several contributers of Cal 22 information on this site, especially to SeaJoe and NotQuiteCaptRon.

I recently obtained a 1985 Cal 22 from the Atlanta, GA area and towed it down here to the Bayoo country (SE Texas near Houston). This boat seems to have spent alot of time in the water just sitting as the sun cover was rotted but the 130% roller headsail was practically new. It has the original pin stop traveler that has been the source of much conversation and a few bottom blisters which don't concern me much since I have done several bottom jobs on race boats with good results.

The interior of the boat was damn near like new. The sail plan is almost identical to J-22, Capri 22, Ranger 22 to mention a few so there should be plenty of good sails available without too much cost.

I am interested to find out about performance variation between the Masthead rig and the Fractional rig. The rig seems to be plenty stout to fly a masthead chute if one were interested in a little more pulling power. I am more concerned about going to weather performance in pointing ability in comparing the masthead headsail vs the fractional headsail. The masthead headsail should give about 10% more sail area.

Would appreciate any info on this subject.

Larry
I found some info on the PHRF Rating of the Cal 22. PHRF NE rates the std rig at 240. The Masthead unit rates 216. I presume these are both fin keel models. Its interesting that Ranger 22 rates 216 with the exact same sailplan & weight as Cal 22 std and that Capri 22 std rig rates 202 and weighs same as Cal 22 and has the identical sailplan. ??? J-22 rates 180 with the same sailplan but is 300 lb lighter.

Anyone have comments on this?

Larry