Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
US Sailing takes phrf from clubs around the nation and creates a PDF that includes low, high and average for many boats. Looks like there is only one Cal22MH in their records.

Cal22 231 255 240
Cal22 MH 228 228 228

Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2010

quinnmatt is on a distinguished road
CAL 22 mast

I need to get a new mast for a CAL 22 I just acquired. Does anyone know (if anyone is still on this forum) where I can get one? I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the mast, Dwyer perhaps? Any info would be appreciated. Located in Cape Cod, MA area.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 03-29-2010

capteos is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to capteos
Question Cal 22 Headsail Furler

The furling unit that I inherited with my 1985 Cal 22 seems to be missing something.

The extruded aluminum segments have two gruves on one side to accomodate a number 6 size Luft Tape and another gruve on the opposite side to accomodate a 3/16 dia halyard and a hole down the middle of the extrusion to pass the head stay wire.

The extruded segments just butt up to each other and the only thing that can keep the groves aligned is the 3/16 halyard on one side and the headsail luft tape on the other with the head stay wire providing the axis for rotation.

There is a little plastic THING at the top of the upper most segment that provides a guide for the 3/16 halyard (that is attached to the sail head) to make its 180 degree turn and then goes down the aft gruve of all the segments to the drum.

Question: - Am I missing some parts, like something that goes in and between the segments to aid alignment?

Seems there is tremendous potential at the joints to sever luft tape and or 3/16 halyard.

Nuther Question: Does anyone know where you can get a replacement for that little halyard THING at the top of the assembly? Mine is damaged.

L Jones
Old 03-29-2010

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Capteos,

Not sure we have the same system....I'm not sure who made mine, but it sounds similar, yet different. I do not recall having any trouble with the segments lining up. I do recall thinking they seemed flimsy until I got the furling up and tensioned the stays and shrouds.

My segments were never taken apart????....I didn't know they came apart...in fact I was very careful to not stress the segments where they met when I handled it for fear of it breaking. The long metal segments were together and secured to the the side of the mast, which was down when I purchased the boat.

I do have to play the sail up and down sometimes to get onto the next segment, so I guess they do not line up exact. But it doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to thread the foresail into the track.

As you can probably tell, I don't have much furling knowledge. You may want to expand the knowledge pool in another forum.

Ron
Old 03-30-2010

Smile Furling

Thanks Ron,
I had to have the headsail repaired (sun cover replaced). The sail was rolled up on the furling and tied to the mast when I bought the boat. I took the sail off the furling and took it to the sailmaker. Thats when I examined the furling unit. I have yet to put up the mast and check out the operation of this unit. It just seems kind of a Mickey design for gruve alignment, segment to segment. The only other roller furling system I have had experience with was a ProFurl about 20 years ago. Just Tuff-Luff racing foils and hanks ever since.

I will give this thing a try and maybe go to a Harken system as SeaJoe suggests. I'm kinda thinkin of rigging a masthead forstay and going to a taller headsail in the future anyway. I did in fact just add a masthead halyard for a kite and am considering adding a internal halyard at the fractional headstay attachment point which I will have to do if I go to a Harken system.

Happy Sailing,
Larry
Old 04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnmatt View Post
I need to get a new mast for a CAL 22 I just acquired. Does anyone know (if anyone is still on this forum) where I can get one? I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the mast, Dwyer perhaps? Any info would be appreciated. Located in Cape Cod, MA area.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
You might shop right here on this Sailnet site for a mast or check out the McGregor 26 rig. It looks similar to the Cal 22 fractional set-up dimension wise with swept back spreaders. I believe the McGregor mast is a little more bendy which can give you more sail control if you add the right controls. I think they are still building McGregors. Don't know who makes their masts. Kenyon might be another source. There are lots of 22 foot boats that have the same size sail plan as the Cal 22. Also check out the Catalina Capri 22, J-22 and Ranger 22 which are fractional Rigs stepped on deck. The Capri 22 has an option for Standard and Tall configurations. Good luck.

Capteos
Old 04-20-2010

Sugaree34 is on a distinguished road
i had an old owners manual when i had my Cal 22 that I PDF'd - i could probably dig it up on my computer. But it had all of the suppliers listed for each of the components (mast, etc).

As for the aluminum furler extrusions, there are little nylon splice inserts that attach the sections together. When I got my boat all of these were busted and the PO had been sailing the boat for years that way. To me the furler was garbage so i simply put a new CDI unit on with a plastic, continuous extrusion. Cheap & fixed the problem.
Old 06-09-2010

sailnova is on a distinguished road
trailer

Hey! I am looking into purchasing my first sailboat (a cal 22). I have access to a trailer for a Cal 20 and was wondering if anyone had information/experience as to whether or not I can use this trailer for the 22? Any other bits and pieces of advice is greatly appreciated as well!

Also, does anyone have info on adding a spinnaker + gear? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2010

hix is on a distinguished road
Sugaree34 - Is it possible fo you to email or post that Cal 22 owners manual?
Old 06-28-2010

beidson is on a distinguished road
Bimini or boom tent for Cal 22

Hi everyone - I've been enjoying my Cal 22 for three years now. Wonderful, fast, easy to sail boat. My wife has been complaining about the heat....has anyone fitted either a boom tent for when you're at anchor? Or how about a bimini? If you've used a bimini, can you tell me how it worked under sail? Is is entirely in the way for such a small boat or is it acceptable?

Thanks,

Bill