Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
Hix, what's the cover going to cost once it becomes an off the shelf item? There are two Cal 22's in my marina. I use tarps, the other boat has a nice tailored custom made cover.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2010

hix is on a distinguished road
not sure exactly and depends on material and finish you choose. look at their website and give them a call. I think mine will come in under $800.
Old 12-01-2010

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
Hix, are you pleased with the boat cover? What material did you use?
Old 12-03-2010

hix is on a distinguished road
don't have it yet. be here in 2 weeks and will let you know and post pics.
Old 10-14-2011

cal 22 is on a distinguished road
Thought I would keep this thread going, I bought a Cal 22 very recently. I have yet to sail her. The sails were shot as was the roller furl, I had to cut the forestay to remove the foil track. What a pain. I purchase a north j-22 One design main like new for 300 off ebay and a J-22 quantum jib like new for 200 same guy. Both the Cal 22 and j-22 carry 223 ruffly of sail area the cal 223.29 a bit larger lol the foot of the main on the stock cal main is 2-3inches longer than the J-22 no biggie, guess thats where the .29 is lol.
the bottom was just done no blisters, I was told. I will be sailing as soon as the fore stay parts I ordered from bosun come in they are very slow, going on two weeks. I bought a 4 horse motor off ebay thats been in the shop 2 weeks this guy is slow too! I have been with out a sailboat for three years and want to get back on the water! I have owned several sailboats my tanzer 22 was my favorite (guess that is why I bought the Cal) I owned a wylie 34 that I lived on and a coronado 27 the past 5 or so years the corondo sailed great and was very fast I thought. I sailed and owned cal and newport 27s in the past and that coronado to my suprise sailed as well!
I can not wait to get out on the River here in Jax Fl. again. I think the 22 is the perfect size daysailer for me enough cabin to store things and put the wife & kids in while out lol. I will be upgrading this boat as I can since this is the boat that fits my budget and needs best. Planning on a spin. and a few other head sails and rigging upgrades soon. Any way I bought the boat I was looking for and at the past couple years at a good price $2000 already have around 3000 in her and havent sailed yet, typical. The boat looks great for a 1986 and so does the inside other than the wore out soon to be recovered cushins, Atleast the cockpit cushins are in great shape they will get the most use anyway lol. Will update as I get her sailing hope to do a few local races. My tanzer won several races and regattas and placed in most I entered but heck it was non-spin slow boat div. Plan on sailing with the big boys in spin. class this time around.
Old 10-14-2011

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Welcome and congrats on the new boat! Not sure who else pays attention to this thread anymore, but I'm still here, and sailing my Cal 22 in Kentucky. In fact this weekend is looking awesome for a fall sail.
Love to hear what you are doing to improve the boat. If there is anything you have a question about the Cal 22, I would be happy to help if I have the knowledge. 2 grand, and another 3 grand puts your Cal in a typical price range from what I have seen.

I put new Ulman sails on mine this year. She's sailing great.

Ron
Old 10-15-2011

cal 22 is on a distinguished road
Talking Thank you for the reply

I noticed you have made several great posts on this thread. Thank you for the j-22 sail idea, I was able to buy both sails like new for less than a new lesser quality main sail.

I hope you have a great weekend of saling, I hope to have my Cal 22 in sailable shape by next weekend.

Last edited by cal 22; 10-15-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2011

seajoe is on a distinguished road
Cal22 Traveler moved to cockpit

Contrary to what you will read here, I didn't post pictures because I kept getting "upload errors". I tired to make them smaller, and other things... I am not a complete idiot... but no go. If you know how, please tell me, or send me your email for pictures. Thanks....

It has been a long time coming, but here are two pictures of my Cal22's modified traveler. I talked about this in a post a long time ago, but I will repeat some of that here. The original traveler is useless. However, one of the cool things about this boat is the large, unobstructed cockpit. If you want significantly improved performance, and you can live with obstructing the cockpit with a traveler, I recommend this upgrade. The whole thing is pretty much a J-22 system.

The traveler is a small boat traveler from Harken, with the larger section track. the track is not bent and it spans the cockpit from seat-back to seat-back. In order to mount this to the seating surface, I had to make aluminum spacers which you can see in the picture.

I picked a place to mount this so that the sheet would run straight (fore and aft) to the boom at the point where I mounted a bail to the boom. I didn't cut off the surplus boom, which is oversize to make the boom end closer to the transom for the old traveler setup, so the boom looks a little strange.

The car is a small boat windward sheeting car from Harken with an accessory that adds a place to dead-end the line to get you to a 3:1. I think it is a Harken 2744 and Harken 2752. The ratchet block is also a Harken mounted on an aluminum plate that fastens to the underside of the track, also available from Harken. You can rig the sheet as a 4:1 (aprox. due to sheeting angles to the car and the ratchet block), and take it down to 2:1 in light air by removing the 2 parts that run through the block on the windward sheeting car, and just running the sheet from the becket on the windward sheeting car to the boom and back to the ratchet block.

If you already know about the windward sheeting car you can skip this, but you leave it cleated when you tack. When the direction of the load changes, the cam cleat on the old windward side automatically opens and that allows you to bring the traveler up to the new weather side. Of course, if you have to ease to leeward, you have to un-cleat it. Also, if you don't want a windward sheeting car, you can use a normal one. I found this on Ebay at a very low price so I went with it and I am glad I did.

The traveler control is a 3:1 and uses Harken track ends with a block built-in. You want this to be 3:1. I loaned the boat out for women's sailing and even the 3:1 loads up pretty good.

when I sail by myself, I usually sit on the coaming in front of the traveler. that way I can reach all the lines on the cabin top.

To help me with solo sailing, I also mounted cheek blocks in front of the winches. I run the jib sheets through these and then across the cockpit to the windward side. They have ratchets which can be turned on and off which help when I have to trim the job with one hand. run the sheets around the windward winch, and then to a cam cleat mounted on the angled part of the coaming. That works pretty well. I got new small Harken winches to replace the Barients, but I didn't put them on yet. Some year I will get around to that.

I hope you can see the pictures. I have never posted pictures on here... so good luck to me with that. OK, if you read this far you know there are no pictures. I tried but kept getting "upload errors". I tried to make them smaller, and other things, but no luck. If you want pictures please send me your email address... or tell me how to put them up here....

Thanks
Old 10-19-2011

seajoe is on a distinguished road
Ron, long time, sorry about that, I don't have much of any value to say... but that never stopped me before....

I don't have a problem with weather helm on my Cal22. I think it balances out just about right. I can create weather helm by having too much main on, but I can get it just right by putting some twist in the main. I have a lot more rake in the mast than how the boat was originally set up.

I have a turn buckle on the forestay, and that is near its max travel and I also have an extra D shackle on the head stay to get even more rake. I guess I could measure the distance from the mainsail mast head block to the center of the transom. I don't have a good steel rule here, but next time I do, I will make this measurement and let you know. Maybe you could do the same. I will attach the rule to the main halyard and run it up to where the rule is just touching the block. Then I will take a measurement to the center of the transom on the hull itself. this is how we measure dinghy mast rake.

The rake isn't obscene or anything, but it is definitely raked back. I even sail with a working jib a lot of the time and still don't have a problem with weather helm. My boat is a fin keel, not a shoal draft version.

I also have been sailing with a main that has a fairly full roach. I will have to put a J22 main on there and see how that feels. It has been a long time since I sailed with a J22 main. I wonder if I would actually get some lee helm. Maybe my sails are flatter? I don't think they look flat, actually more in the well used range. I guess the other measurement that would be interesting is where the keel is. Who knows how variable that is on these boats?

Anyway, after re-reading your post, I guess I would have to say that it is a matter of degree. I don't think I could drop the helm and run forward and expect the boat to sail by itself even if I had a tiller tamer or something like that. If that is what you are shooting for, and you get even close, you are a better man than I am.

++++++++++++++++++++

I'll have to take a look at that tuning guide...I think I have considerably more weather helm than I should, which probably is slowing the boat to wind. I've tried flattening everything, over tightening, to see if I could correct the helm balance, but it's still significant. There is almost no wind situation where I can let go of the tiller or leave the helm when going to wind...she will always come up quickly. In fact, she'll head up if let go of the tiller running too. I intend to decrease the rake this spring and see if that helps. When I look at other boats rake, I do not think mine looks over done, but there is room to adjust without being straight or forward at all....which from what I have read is a no no. My furler occasionally sticks, so I have to tie off the tiller and make a mad dash forward and back to get the last few feet of the genny out before the weather helm overwhelms my attempt to hold the tiller.

How is the helm balance on yours?
Do you have any ideas on correcting weather helm on Cal 22's?

Ron[/QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2011

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Hey Sea Joe,

No worries on the time lapse....we all have things going on in life. Good to hear from you now. Great info on the traveller mod, unfortunately, I could not see the photos. I'm sure that is frustrating for you.
For me, it's no big deal because I enjoy, and by I, I mean the admiral enjoys the cockpit space, so your traveler mod would not be for us. It's still great info...especially for anyone thinking about racing their Cal 22. Every once and while I get crazy and move my traveler pin from center to windward, which almost centers my boom in 15 knots. She sails better, and it reminds of the inefficiency of the traveler. It wouldn't be so bad if I could beat for a while, but on my skinny lake, I am more likely to be tacking every 90 seconds or so. Of course that makes moving the traveler pins unpractical while single handling. Although I still try.

I think I have become totally accustomed to my weather helm of my Cal at this point. Perhaps it is completely normal and I was ignorant at the time. It seems very normal to me now. I think new sails (this year) improved the situation too. I sail my little Cal in a lot of wind from time to time, and I have found she can handle quite a bit when reefed properly. I sailed in the remnants of a hurricane that produced sustained 30 knots on our lake, and did just fine with her reefed down tight. I was beating up to the dam of our lake to prove I could do it....I proved it for a mile or so and decided after I got about half way there, that I could do it, but if something major broke I would be bummed out....so I ran back to the marina. The hardest part of the day was getting back in the slip under motor.

I have been at the helm racing Pearson 26 for the last year and that boat has a lack of weather helm. I like helm on my Cal a lot better. The Pearson is a bit of pig in my opinion, but having said that, she'll handle a lot of wind for a 26 footer. We race on a budget, don't have a "sail inventory", so we fly a lot of (our only foresail) genny in big wind. Not my boat, not what I would like to do, but my point is, Pearson 26 will take a of wind before weather helm becomes and issue....At least the one I am on does. My Cal is a lot more responsive, and fun to sail in a variety of conditions.

Still love my Cal 22. If I can get out this weekend I'll post some Fall photos from the lake.

Ron