SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any Cal 22 Owners?

70K views 175 replies 36 participants last post by  Locke434 
#1 ·
I Have A 86 Cal 22 That I Love But Never Seen Another One In My Aera (ky/in Ohio River) Or Hear Any Talk On The Form. Would Love To Hear Any Advice/tech Tips. I Almost Sold Her 2 Years Ago For A Larger Boat (saber 28) Thanks

#2 ·
I'm a Cal 22 owner also.

I own a 1986 Cal 22 also. It's a great sailing boat, and you said you nearly bought a Sabre 28, which is a nice boat, but I think that you should know that I've raced against a Sabre 28, several times, on Wednesday Night races, and my Cal 22 sails much faster, both up and down wind than a Sabre 28. The Sabre 28 has a very short boom and has a very small mainsail, and seems to sail poorly, even though it is a well-built boat and you can get one for a pretty good price. Another nice boat is a mariner 28, which is a lot of boat for the money, and sails very well. I've owned a Catalina 27, also, which is a lot of boat for the money, but you need to buy the newest one you can afford, because they made a lot of improvements every year. I've seen Catalina 27s in the 1985-built time frame for about $12,500 dollars and they had a diesel engine and wheel steering, with a lot of room below, and they sail well.

By the way, the Cal 22 sails so well (unless you have the shallow draft model) because it has a modern hull and keel shape and a long waterline (20 feet) and an excellent sail plan, unlike older boats with shorter booms, or really old boats with short masts and long booms.

Good Luck...

#4 ·
I bought a 1986 Cal 22 a couple of months ago, upgrading from a 1977 Chrysler 22. The guy I bought the Cal from said that the fixed keel Cal sailed better and closer to the wind than the swing keel Chrysler. Figured he was just making a sales pitch. He was right, though. I've had other sailboats come all the way across the lake just to admire the Cal. I liked the dinette in the Chysler and I wish the Cal had one. The removeable table is convenient but not real sturdy. The Chrysler needed a fair amount of wind to get her moving but the Cal takes off with the slightest breeze. It's been a great boat so far.

#5 ·
Call 22 stuff

I've just started racing mine and we are taking 1st place honors. I've been working on some upgrades that should help. The Schaeffer traveller is just plain dumb. It is a "pin stop" system without control ends. Garhauer is building me a set of custom control ends and a set of blocks to mount to my traveler car, giving me a 3:1 system without havining to change the Schaeffer track.

I found the conversion kit from Schaeffer for this traveler, but Rig Rite is charging what amounts to highway robbery for the parts, $400.00. Garhauer is building mine for a whole lot less. They also built me a rigid vang, a huge help. Very nice not having the boom drop on me when I drop the main.

I'd love to hear about any modifications or improvements that you have seen or have done.

Ray Yager

#6 ·
I recently purchased a Cal 22. I would also be happy to hear about an modifications or experiences that other Cal 22 owners have found noteworthy. If anyone has a manual or instructions for raising the mast, it would be helpful. I have experience sailing sunfish and 40 to 50 foot boats, nothing in between, so the initail rigging and getting in the water will be a new experience with the Cal.

I am in the Ohio River/Kentucky area, but we are going to try and sail on a local lake vs. the river in 2008. The Lake is Taylorsville Lake and is known for fishing not sailing. It is a "finger" like lake with land masses rising much higher than the water all around. Read "shifty winds". The sailing is not likely to be good, which is why I thought the nimble Cal 22 (fin keel) might be a good bet for the conditions. I sailed a friends O'Day 25 on Taylorsville. It was OK, but I am expecting more from the Cal 22. We will join two O'Days in the marina to make a total of three sailboats on the lake. So why am I sailing here you ask...it's five minutes from the house.;)

Intially I was concerned about being over run by high speed yahoos in fishing and recreational boats, but my O'Day sailor friend says seeing sails is such an odysey:eek: for the motor boaters, that they shy away immediately.:D I'm OK with that.

Ron

#7 ·
Another new owner

I have become the new owner of a '86 Cal 22. The number of informational sites for this boat seem next to none. This thread has gotten a large number of views considering the number of posts. Could anyone recommend other sites they have run across that support the Cal 22? I really enjoy this boat. Its attractive, trim, well built and a pleasure to sail. I'm looking for hints and tips from other sailors who have "been there, done that". Also looking for a trailer either for or adaptable to the standard keel Cal 22.
Glad I found this site and I would appreciate any information, Bill
Sailing on San Francisco Bay and California Delta.

#8 ·
need2no,

I have not found much information either. Looking at descriptions and photos of Cal 22's that are for sale is the best info I have found so far concerning rigging and equipment. Most of the post in here are older...not sure if the others are still watching this forum.

Here are a couple of sites with some basic info that may be helpful. The first one has a diagram and some basic info. You will have to add the logical beggining of the url to my link....apparently users on this forum can not post links until they have posted 10 time in the forum.

getawaysailing.com/pages2/boat_cal22.asp

This one makes sails and has the sail plan for Cal 22.

quotesys2.sailrite.com/ShowAd.aspx?id=5637&SourceID=2&BoatName=CAL%2022

There is a Cal site in Canada too that has a lot of Cal information but very little Cal 22 info.

Ron

#9 ·
new to the c-22 too

Based on the comments I found, we have a good start on a cal-22 group right here in WV, Ky,Oh and VA. I hope to take del. on a nice re-done 77 modle in a matter of weeks. We too will be sailing on a some what narrow lake (Summersville) still, it a great looking and from what I have read, a wonderful daysailor.;)

#10 ·
Soapy,

Enjoyed a great year of sailing with my Cal 22 here on Taylorsville Lake in Kentucky. I left her in the water for the winter, so I can get out occassionally when weather permits....possibly today. Had a great sail on Friday last week.

I recently added a rigid boom vang from Garhauer as suggested by another Cal 22 owner in this forum. Only sailed with it a few times this fall, but I like it. We do have some gusty/shifty winds on our lake, so having the reef system easy to single hand with the rigid vang is a great asset. Makes me feel much better about setting out when I know it might blow 15-18 knots. Between the easily reefed main and the genoa furling, I can get appropriate sail area in minutes by my onsie. I'm probably not supplying any new info here, but in heavier winds, my Cal handles much better with reefed main and a little genoa out than under full main alone. Much better control through tacks. Since our lake is fairly narrow, I do a lot of tacking. No time for the weary in a blow on Taylorsville Lake.:laugher You get from one shore to the other pretty quick sometimes.

I also purchased set of the original (Pryde) sails for my Cal 22 this fall. Lucky find. I'm not going to put them on until next spring though. Put a new Tahatsu motor on her too. I probably sailed about 80 hours worth of day sails on her in 2008.

Sent along a couple of "Callie" photos...pre rigid vang.

I was not aware that Cal made a 22 in 77?

Ron

Attachments

#12 ·
Jolson,

I'll keep you in mind. I research Cal 22 quite a bit....thats how I stumbled across the sails I bought. They are both on now, and what a difference!:D The old sails were adequate, but the orignal Pryde sails fit sooo much better.

I'll let you know in here if I come across anything or if I decide to let my old sails go. Like I said there not great, but they are better than nothing. My plan was to keep them as back ups. The genny fits fine, albeit a bit worn. The main is a little small, but in decent shape. It always had a wrinkle in it somewhere because it just didn't quite fit perfect.

Ron

#13 ·
keel ?

Im looking to buy an '85 Cal 22 this weekend in Charleston, SC, but don't really know much about the boat. Like everyone says, theres not alot of info available on the net about the Cal. First of all, Im not sure which type of keel it has. Either a 3'6" draft or a 2'10". The boat has been in salt water for 4 years and im sure has barnacles all over the bottem, so i didn't want to dive in and feel for myself. Does anyone know an easier way to find out without putting it on a trailer? My dad's friend has a Ranger 23' and was told that trailer should work ok...but might have to adjust around the keel.

I have owned a Catalina 22' swing keel before, and was kind of skeptical about getting a fixed keel seeing how I don't have a wet slip and I would be trailering it each time. Does anyone have any specs. on the Cal 22 such as the hull speed? Any info would be great! I read someone say something about the shoal draft keel not being very good. Why is that? Thanks guys!

#14 · (Edited)
WTP,

Since you previously owned a sailboat, I suspect the little man in your head is telling you that you have to get the boat out of the water and inspect the hull. Cal 22 have a problem with blisters and you need to clean off some sea crap and see if it has blisters. Blisters are not the end of the world, but they are a major project, therefore lowering the value of the boat and it may be a deal breaker unless you are willing to take on the task or pay someone to properly repair the blisters.

The shoal draft will make trailering a lot easier. The fin keel requires a launch that is steep and deep or a really long extension on your trailer....or both. To be honest, I would not use my boat much if I had to launch it every time out. The mast requires two burly guys to raise....three people is better. It is not a problem if you always have three people with you to launch, unfortunately I don't. You really need to strong people on the mast and one to work the pins at the base.

I can't speak to the performance of the shoal keel model, but unless you are racing, the benefit of easier launching might out weigh any loss of performance anyway. My Cal (fin keel) does point well and sails well in light wind too. She is easy to get moving.

Somewhere in the back of my head I have the number 6.2 for hull speed....I'm not sure that is correct. It's probably very similar to a Cat 22. I've had mine at 5.8 on a run. I was probably in too much wind to be honest. I comfortable beat at 4.6 - 5.0 in 10 to 15 knots..... Over 15 and its time to reef.

Here is a link to some others for sale if you need a price reference...don't forget some of these have a trailer and motor. Cal 22 Sailboat Photo Gallery

I think they are really fun boats. Hope it goes well for you.

Ron

#15 ·
Hey Ron, Thanks for the tips.

So I went to Charleston this weekend...my plan was to pull it out at high tide (7:47pm) so the current wouldn't be so strong. We had a few problems but finally got the boat on the trailer and out of the water. You were right...it was nasty.. It had been in salt water for at least 4 years maybe more. and we were wrong...it was a fin keel.

The mast was very tough to get down...all the rigging was very stiff and tight. I undid 1 of the stays on each side(the one that goes to the top of the mast..not sure what those are called) and took the forestay pin and my friend lowered it to me. It took 3 of us and was almost impossible to get the mast pins out. But we did and drove it 2 hours back to Columbia,...didn't get back til 4:30am.

The last 2 days, I have been cleaning the hell out of it...scrapped the bottem and pressure washed it. Its pretty smooth now. I was surprised but It appears to have no blisters. Im ready to put it back in the water now, but being how its so hard to raise and lower the mast, I want to find a permanent place to keep it where I can leave it up and rigged ready to go.

I do have a few questions though:

1) Do you know the Cal 22's rating?...if I were interested in racing it
2) Does the sail number indicate when it was produced. Mine is 57..does that mean it was the 57th produced.
3) i had a few more...but can't think of them right now.

Thanks!

#16 ·
I do not know the phrp and I have looked on the internet quite bit for that information. I have corresponded with a couple of Cal 22 owners that raced and their clubs based it on Catalina 22's. Both of these owners sheepishly admitted that they thought the Cal 22 was faster, but they are proud boat owners, so who knows. I have seen comments on the internet that support Cal 22's being a bit faster than the Cat 22. The guy I got my boat from raced it on the Ohio River....he claimed the club was happy he was selling it.;)

Where is this sail number located on the sail? I have never noticed any numbers other than 22 on mine and I have original Neil Pryde sails now. Perhaps someone had sails made for the boat and that is just the number for racing purposes???

Good deal on the lack of blisters.

I know what you mean about getting on the trailer and out of the water....You get the boat on the trailer and with the fin keel it sure looks a lot bigger all of sudden. LOL

I was a little bummed when I discovered the wife and I couldn't step the mast by ourselves, but we always intended to keep in the marina at the local lake, so its just a matter of pulling it out once every year or two to clean and refinish the bottom now.

Congrats!

Ron

#17 ·
Ron,
I see that you purchased a set of original sails for your CAL22 by any chance do you know of anyone that's no longer using their "Mircro Reefer" that came on the 1985 86 CAL22's, or maybe someone who's upgraded to a newer furler? I've had a CAL22 here on Percy Preist lake in Nashville TN for a couple of years and my "Drum" on my micro reefer is cracked... I've got it fixed up enough to continue to use it but I'd like to find a new drum instead of replacing the entire furler. CDI, who manufactured the furler no longer has this part available. Just an FYI for those of you who have recently purchased a CAL22 I do have all the original owners manual's and can make copies fairly easily if someone would like a copy.

#18 ·
jhgrav3,

I do not have a connection to the original furler. I did quiz the guy I got the sails from about other parts....the only other Cal 22 equipment he had was a used, original boom. He was selling the sails on Craigslist near Boston.

I sailed....check it...floated on Percy Priest a few years back. No wind, high humidity and about 98 degrees made the admiral cranky. We day chartered a little boat somewhere there on the lake...surely conditions are normally better than what we saw that day. It was expensive too. Then the guy at the dock hit us up for the price of a gallon of gas, because he knew we had to motor. Not exactly a great way to get someone to come back after they laid out a couple hundred to charter a boat for 3 miserable hours.

I would be curious to see the Cal 22 manual. I'm not sure there would be anything in it I haven't figured out by now, but you never know. Do you find it useful? Any discussion of rig tuning?

Ron

#20 ·
I don't mind you asking at all. I got it from Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -70954

I think it was $275 at the time. If you check around forums, I think you will find many happy Garhauer customers. They built a nice, custom rigid vang for me at a much lower price than anywhere else I researched. It is a quality piece of equipment....nothing cheesy about it. It makes a big difference in comfort and sailing on the Cal.

Although I do not feel I did the best job mounting mine, I don't think it was that tough and would do it again. You do need to tap some threads in the mast and boom. I just underestimated the importance of tapping the threads at exactly the same angle as the boom shape, so the first couple I did are not perfectly tight. I will probably redo them in the future.

Take a look at this Wilkie's Sailboat Page and you might want to search the installation project on google so you know what you are getting into. I read through a few peoples experiences and learned a bit. Garhauer supplies instruction as well. I found them good to work with.

Ron

#21 ·
New Cal 22 Owner. Eugene, OR

Hello fellow cal 22 owners. I recently upgraded from a '78 Cat 22 to a '88 Cal 22. Huge improvement over the Cat 22. I haven't sailed her yet because it did not come with sails and the reservoir is drained for the winter but I can't wait to get her on the water and see what she can do. We plan on buying the sail kits from sailrite and making our own sails. I'll let you guys know how that works out. The boat has a few minor issues and I am needing some advice/help from other cal 22 owners. First; the torque bearings-the plastic extrusions that connect the furler extrusions- are broken and CDI no longer has replacement parts. Any suggestions on how to repair the furler? If it can't be fixed I might have some parts available and just use hanked on head sails. Second, there appears to be a ceramic gooseneck that connects the boom to the mast but no pins or bolts to attach to either one. Could someone provide picture of how the boom connects to the mast? Last; the post for the table is missing. I contacted Recmar and they no longer have parts for the table. Again, could someone provide pictures and measurements for the post so I might fab one myself. Besides the previously stated issues the bottom has hundreds of small blisters. I'm thinking of not doing anything about it for a season and stripping the gelcoat and applying an epoxy barrier coat next year. Any thoughts? This winter I plan on removing all the deck hardware and re-bedding it. I also plan on buffing out and polishing the gelcoat on the topside and deck. Other than the blisters she's in good shape and should clean up very nice. I look forward to your comments, suggestions and assistance. Thanks.

#22 ·
Pneumatic,

Congrats on the new boat.

First, I'm no help on the roller furling repair. The furler sure is a great thing to have. Second, SEE PHOTO....I am not convinced this is the complete, original gooseneck arrangement, but the photo may help you come up with something that works for you. If you have to fabricate or adapt a gooseneck for her, keep in mind that the horizontal axsis of the gooseneck will be imparitive if you ever decide to add a rigid boom vang. Third, I don't think the earlier models had the table....I have an 85 and have not seen any indicators that there was a table, so I am no help there. I have seen photos of Cal 22's with tables at Cal 22 Sailboat Photo Gallery The site is the best resource for photos of Cal 22's I have found.
Lastly, my research on blisters indicates that to properly fix them, they should be drilled and drained before refinishing the bottom. There is information and procedures on how this is done readily available on this site and many others. Mine had blisters too, but lucky for me, the previous owner fixed them before I purchased.

I would be happy to send along any other photos to demonstrate rigging or hardware for you. Just let me know. I believe that jhgrav3, another Cal 22 owner in this forum, is working on scanning his manual. I'm not sure how much help it will be, but it might be interesting to see.

I'll be interested to see how you think the Cal compares to the Cat from a sailing standpoint.

Ron

Attachments

#23 ·
BTW...I fashioned a table that fits between the cockpit seats as well as the the settees in the salon. I put a couple of stops on it to keep it from slipping off one way or the other. It works well. You can slide it fore and aft to any position you need it in the cockpit. No holes in the boat....it just rest there and then I throw it under the cushion aft with the drop boards when not in use. Next time I remember, I'll take a photo. Its nothing elaborate though....just a functional place to set the cheese, crackers and drink at anchor.

Ron

#24 ·
Ron,

Thanks for the reply and the picture of the gooseneck. It appears that I have a different mast and boom than you. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to help give you a better idea of what configuration I have. I'll also post some photos of the plastic part that I need for my furler and the bracket the table post mounts to.

Martin

#25 ·
Martin,

Here is a photo of the table. Unfortunately, I don't think this will be much help for building one.

http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/med/m_958.jpg

I'm not sure why you would have a different mast and boom, unless yours was replaced. I believe that I have original boom and mast. Could be that our boats were built in different yards and they used different materials. They moved the Cal factory in 85 from Tampa, Florida to Fall River, Massachusetts. Perhaps they rigged things differently after the move. I have noticed that some Cal 22's have a more rounded bow rail than mine, and as we mentioned, I don't think mine ever had a table.

I'm heading out for a sail today.:p We have mid 60s and a 10-15 knot breeze.

Ron

#26 ·
Ron,

I tried to post some pictures yesterday but I was not able to upload the pictures. Kept getting an error.
I did some research on my mast and boom today. Turns out I have a mast and boom manufactured by "Isomat". Did a search and found a web site that has parts for the goose neck assembly. "rigrite.com" .The site says they specialize in hard to find parts. I'm going to check if they have the torque bearings for the furler.
Next project is to find some tubing for the table. The brackets have a 1" diameter ID holes for the post. I'm thinking of using 304 stainless steel tubing for the post. Only problem is I'll need to bend it. I'm thinking of using a electrical conduit bender to bend the tube. Do you think it will work?
Did you have a good day sailing?

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.