Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007

mandg61 is on a distinguished road
C.al 27 info

I own a 1971 Cal 27, hull # 68, with a Vire BVR engine. I would like to know about rebuilding my engine or going with an outboard. Would I have to reinforce my transon to handle any engine under 12 hp. Also my boat has a wheel instead of a tiller. Would this be original or after market. I have a ton of questions but I'll ask more as I go along. Thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2007

Mc51 is on a distinguished road
Cal Transoms

I recently bought a Cal24. I was a little concerned about the transom, but when we ran it to the boat yard, our 10HP honda seemed very stable. I watch closely to see if there was any flexing but every thing stayed solid. Next summer before we take a long cruise to the Bahamas I'm probaly going to reinforce it with stained and varnished wood just for GP, and maybe to add a little style anyway.
Mc51
Old 03-10-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Assuming you can get the Vire rebuilt, I always think you'll get most of the value of the rebuild back when you sell, versus having an outboard, and you'll have the convenience of an inboard for your period of use.

As to the wheel, I'd say its a million to one that Cal didn't build it that way, some PO added it.

PS - that is a very nice boat, the whole generation of Lapworth Cals sail like champs. Put the money into it needed to keep it up, its the type of boat well worth maintaining.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-10-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2007

Cal 27

Thanks for the info on my Vire BVR. I would like to find someone in my area, southeast Michigan, that I could contact about a rebuild. I am not a sailor by any means but would love to learn how. My son is the sailor in the family. He used to crew on a Cal 25 out of Pt Huron Yacht Club. He now lives in Florida and is too busy to sail. I have friends from Pt.Huron Yacht club who will give me a hand in learning how to sail it. Just day cruises and an occasional weekend. No races. Thanks again,Mike
Old 03-10-2007

Cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc51
I recently bought a Cal24. I was a little concerned about the transom, but when we ran it to the boat yard, our 10HP honda seemed very stable. I watch closely to see if there was any flexing but every thing stayed solid. Next summer before we take a long cruise to the Bahamas I'm probaly going to reinforce it with stained and varnished wood just for GP, and maybe to add a little style anyway.
Mc51
Was your boat originally built with an inboard engine? Thanks, Mike
Old 03-11-2007

Mc51 is on a distinguished road
Cal24

No evidence if it ever having an inboard, it has a cut out in the transom for the outboard. There is an insert that skides in place if you are sailing without the motor mounted. I'm thinkinking next summer when we head south, that I'll keep the motor on a dingy.
Mc51
Old 03-11-2007

Cal 27 info.

Thanks for the input. I want to try to find someone to rebuild my inboard if possible. It would cost as much to install an outboard as it would to have my engine rebuilt. Think I'd like to have every thing as original as when I bought it. Thanks, Mike
Old 05-07-2008

cal30 is on a distinguished road
How's the rebuild going?

Hello Cal 27,
I just bought a Cal 27 and am in the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready to sail again. It's been neglected, and there's work to be done. Any and all info would be appreciated. It had an inboard but it's been removed long ago. I intend to reinforce the transom and contiue to run an out board. I like the unique look of the boat, and have never seen another here in Hawaii. If you have time and feel like helping, send me an email.
Mahalo nui,Leonard
Attached Thumbnails
C.al 27 info-0101110102060104042008043056586ddf041d4ce708007b1e.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008

sailingsun1 is on a distinguished road
Vire Bvr

I was cruising the web and wondered what you did with your Vire BVR. I sail on lake St Clair and have a BVR as well.
Old 12-11-2008

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
I have a 1979 Cal 2-27. She has an atomic deisel inboard that I'm trying to get going again. Right now I have a 5 hp mercury outboard to get her in and out of the marina. No reinforcment, it looks very sound.

Also, I have wheel steering, but it was definately added afterwards. There is a stainless bracket a few feet behind the wheel where the tiller attached before, it moves with the wheel. I also have a few feet of the original tiller incase the wheel malfunctions I can jamb it in the bracket and control the boat.

I like having the wheel and navpod in front of me, but it really, really takes up space and I can't reach any of the sheets, unless I lean far forward. I have to rely on my crew to trim the sails.

I'm debating moving the traveler above the companionway to get it out of the way. Has anyone ever tried this on their Cal?

CB
Attached Thumbnails
C.al 27 info-winning-bid-1.jpg  

Last edited by countrybumpkin; 12-11-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.