Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Cal 20

My mainsheet tackle on the cal20 I just bought is subpar at best. Does anyone know of how to fix it or can recommend a better or simple system to replace it with?

On it now there is a double cam cleat at the end of an eight inch metal swivel. There is no block on the swivel just a metal loop the sheet goes through with a pice of cutout metal that look like it used to hold a block or something, though I can't figure out how to fit one. The main problem I am having is that the tackle swivel to face the stern and the sheet gets twisted by the metal loop so if you release it the sheet does feed out, it just gets caught. Its a bad system really, the pull from the sheet also bends the metal up. Thanks for any advice from what you have on yours, or how you replced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
nob,
I'm thinking you might have something similar to what is on my Cal21'. If you look at these swivel cam cleats from Harken one might look somewhat familiar. Note that the ones with the springs sticking up require your selection of a block to mount there. Harkenstore Product Category
I'm presuming that the block and cleat in question mount on the starboard quarter gunwale of your boat. If on the mounting base it says F130 Austrailia you probably have the same block I have. I replaced it with one of the Harkens. You can size them up at a West Marine for what you need.

Welcome to sailnet. You've got one of the Cal's of enduring popularity. There's a thread here on a fellow who restored one and the pictures are phenomenal. You'll have to look for it, just check under Cal 20 in the archives. I'm sure it will be of help to you.
Old 03-25-2008

Yeah! It's exactly like an older version of one of those. It's mounts right in the center of the boat about a foot and a half from the back. there is a block on the back of the boat directly behind it a foot and a half, and blocks on either back corner.

If you look here

---whoops would not let me post a link-----------

it's like 326. And see how 326 has the metal loop right there, the tension from the sail pulls on the sheet, which in turn pulls on the swivel mount, which turns around and faces the back, which twists the sheet on the metal loop at the back of the cam cleat, locking it in place, so you have to use both hands to feed it through.

On my swivel mount, instead of a spring, there is a little piece of metal sticking up with a small hole in it. I can't figure out how this would hold a block, or if mopunting a block there would do anything in the first place.
Old 03-25-2008

hmm, I'm not very mechanical.

I'm looking closer, and I think that a spring is supposed to go over that metal piece and that's what holds the block from flopping around. Maybe that would make mine work.

I still can't see what that block does though.
Old 03-25-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You need ten posts to enter a link. On my old swivel block the sheave was captive and not mounted on a spring as in the Harken photo.
Old 03-25-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

nob,
You'll find this link, originally posted by one of our members Jim H., well worth your time. Cal 20 Restoration Set 1
Pay particular attention to the "Cal 20 visit" photos. A lot of these boats are raced and have had the rigging modified from the original. You'll see adjustable backstays and other non-standard rigging. You should though get an idea of what you need.

Last edited by sailaway21; 03-25-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2008

gandydancer48 is on a distinguished road
New to the Cal 20 world

Just thought I would post a comment. I have just bought a cal 20. Since I am new to all this thought I would try and make as many contacts as possible. Actually new to sailing. This one is a 66 with a roller furling on the jib.
thanks
Rich

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.