Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010

airdog07 is on a distinguished road
here is a good web site for cal by richard anderson and look at ca 31
Practical Boat Buying Review good information there abut what to look for and how to remedy the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2010

Csobanc is on a distinguished road
I read through the Cal 31 publications at Rich Anderson's web site, including P.S. review of the Cal 31. I have a few questions to you Cal 31 owners.

1, Since these boats are from the late 70s early 80s, (good old boat vintage era) have you had any major structural issues with these boats like fiber glass cracking in the bilge area, etc.
2, Water intrusion into the cabin top or deck plywood core? Have you needed to replace any wood cores due to rotting?
3, Standing riging: P.S.'s review also mentiones that some of the standing riging chainplates should be beefier than what they are... some of them do not have s/s or aluminum backing plates, etc. Have you needed to beef up the standing rigging supports?
4, Any beer canning effect at heavy(er) seas? Some say the built is comparable to Pearson, is the fiberglass about the same thickness?

I am interested in aquiring my first boat and would like to buy something that has performance, classic styling and also would be a safe boat for the family. My budget is fairly limited too and would not want to spend more than 5%-10% of the purchase price on repairs or upgrades per year.
Thanks for any info.
Old 12-13-2010

bangkaboat is on a distinguished road
I've been reading this thread with great interest, as I am planning a trans-pacific cruise and was evaluating what was available in my prefered budget. Those whom are contemplating a similar voyage with an older boat should recognize that you'll invest 1.5 to 2 times the cost of the boat in alterations and equipment additions.

One of my previous boats was a 1976 Cal 3-30. What a great boat! In a comparison with the Cal 31, I note that the chainplates of the 3-30 were attached to knees, which went to the keel, whereas the 31 has bulkhead mounted chain plates. The difference between the two rig systems is significant as, as was mentioned earlier, the bulkheads aren't always bonded to the hull sufficiently. It is imperative that they are, but access to assess this? The hatch sizes can be altered, I did this with my companionway hatch.

The Cal 3-30 had a quarter berth & nav. station and I installed a lee cloth on the berth to "tighten up" the space in bad weather. To be honest, I prefer a boat with qtr. berths both port & starboard. Not owning a Cal 31, I have no idea of the space to add tankage, but I added two 45 gallon water tanks under the v-berth & fuel tankage(+20gallons) aft. My 3-30 had a very thick hull, 1.75" where I put in a through-hull. I had the ability to run a cutter rig on my boat - great set-up for offshore - and running backstays.

Really, the only issues that concerned me with my 3-30 were that there was no skeg in front of the rudder, it had a gas(universal) engine & the stove was CNG(very safe, but hard to find in some areas).

It is not of value to consider a boat's offshore abilities in terms of size, other than for consideration of comfort. The Contessa 26, is a typical Carl Alberg design, therefore, very capable of offshore. On the other hand, it's cabin is a miserable hole in which to live for extended periods & only tolerable for more than a week if solo-sailing(my first boat was a Contessa 26).

So, I'd recommend any of the 30 foot Cals - Cal30, 2-30, 3-30 - over the Cal 31. Just one man's opinion, however. I hope this helps & that I haven't offended anyone, as I think all Cals are terrific boats!
Mike
Old 12-14-2010

airdog07 is on a distinguished road
yea the newer boat is made cheaper than the older offshore prevent boat, there are all abut cost and profit more and more boat is that way. I sure are looking for cal 30 or 34 for now, cal 31 can be off shore but lot of work before hand. I know lot's cal. 30 have made the trans-pac,single handed trans-pac cal 20 too. but they are battered after the the tripe, I'm looking for cal 34 because I well be using for live aboard too. thanks for you input al
Old 12-15-2010
Couch Explorer

Melantho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csobanc View Post
1, Since these boats are from the late 70s early 80s, (good old boat vintage era) have you had any major structural issues with these boats like fiber glass cracking in the bilge area, etc.
2, Water intrusion into the cabin top or deck plywood core? Have you needed to replace any wood cores due to rotting?
3, Standing riging: P.S.'s review also mentiones that some of the standing riging chainplates should be beefier than what they are... some of them do not have s/s or aluminum backing plates, etc. Have you needed to beef up the standing rigging supports?
4, Any beer canning effect at heavy(er) seas? Some say the built is comparable to Pearson, is the fiberglass about the same thickness?
1. I have repaired tabbing in various area where it has broken loose. The port main bulkhead rotated about 1/4" inch so I've rotated it back as much as I could and put a lot more screws in place to prevent it from doing that again. The tabbing did not break from that rotation. Bilge area is fine, no problems other than a float switch that needs replacement.

2. Yes to water intrusion. No to replacement. I've reduced most of the water intrusion so I'm hoping that I won't need to replace anything while I own it.

3. All my rigging chainplates are pretty substantial s/s all with backing plates. The weakness is where they penetrate the deck. It needs lots of caulking and frequent inspections to make sure you don't have any water intrusion there.

4. Not much. I would say the build quality is very similar to Pearsons of the time. They were direct competitors.

Unless you are buying a brand new boat, you'll have all of these problems in varying degrees. The older the boat, the more problems. My boat is 27 years old; it's in pretty good shape for that age. I think you can expect to pay a bit more per year for maintenance, like 15 - 20% of value. You can get away with less if you don't care what it looks like when you sell it.

Last edited by Melantho; 12-15-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2012

Mark S. is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 31

Hi, I just acquired a 1979 Cal 31 in San Diego and have done some work on it soon after getting it. My friend's trying to get me to do the cushions, but I'm more concerned now about more functional things, like through hulls and anything regarding the safety of the boat, like the electrical. The new bimini on it is almost finished and looks really good, but it doesn't collapse due to the boom being more into the cockpit, we were really after more shade, and now have a "roll cage"...
Old 03-06-2012

Off of Point Loma, where it blows an apparently consistent 15-20 knots, this boat feels more tender, especially as compared to a Catalina 30.But the Cal 31 has the best feel at the helm of any boat I've sailed (in my somewhat limited experience) so far.

In my limited experience (Sunfish, Venture 21', West Wight Potter 19', plus sailing clubs with some 30" Newport/Catalina experience), after having sailed this one boat just twice, it handled well enough so that I could easily, with a consistent enough wind, get the boat to sail itself by setting the sails.. Throw a reef in it, adjust the furling genoa, and just have fun. Again, this is one nice handling boat and feels comfortable even though a bit more responsive/nimble feeling, thus quicker to heel, than a Catalina 30' (1983-1988 I've sailed).
Old 03-18-2012

Just recently acquired a very nice 1979 Cal 31' in San Diego from Brokaw Yacht Sales, a very reputable yacht broker I would and am going to buy another yacht through. I'm taking steps to make an already nice vintage boat into a durable, ready t0 go, take out all the time workhorse of a sailboat...nice!

It is more tippy than a comparable or newer Catalina 30', but the Cal just feels better to me at the helm!
Old 05-09-2012

Our 1979 Cal 31', Seasters recently was:

*Rated by surveyor a few months ago as an offshore racer.

*Coast guardsman said a couple of weeks ago that these and other Cals cross the ocean regularly.

I feel very comfortable and safe in up to 20 knots. Would reef at or about that. But in the open, blue water ocean, my preference would be a full keel like a Shannon, Contessa, Pacific Seacraft or something heavy duty.

Sure, with proper equipment and experience, a trip from So Cal to Hawaii would be feasible, even a "milk run", I've been told. With some work, like new sails, this boat would almost be ready. But, I would question whether or not I would be up to the challenge.
Old 06-21-2012

Brisak is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I am considering buying a Cal31 and wanted to join this list

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.