Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013

jeflaba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jeflaba Send a message via MSN to jeflaba Send a message via Yahoo to jeflaba
Re: Cal 31

Was on the hard in early December. In addition to bottom paint had some repairs made to the rudder and replaced some plastic though-hulls with bronze. The rudder needed repair because I forgot to secure the tiller in Avalon one night and a surge came into the moorings. The rudder banged against the stops several times before I woke up and secured it. I replaced the through-hulls because I had seen one fall apart when an owner tried to replace a hose. Sun/UV had made the plastic part so brittle it just came apart in his hand. These are the auto and manual bilge pump discharges and are normally above the waterline and so exposed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

Send a message via ICQ to jeflaba Send a message via MSN to jeflaba Send a message via Yahoo to jeflaba

Last summer I needed to replace the 12 VDC motor and right-angle transmission for my anchor windlass. Both of these had failed due to salt water intrusion. I went from a 700 watt unit to a 1000 watt model. This has greatly improved the windlass's ability to haul up 100 ft of 3/8's chain and my 15 kilo Bruce anchor. I also decided to upgrade the battery system at the same time.

I wanted to be able to use a small microwave or a 1 hp vacuum cleaner as well as power my laptop and other minor AC accessories. I also wanted to have a separate, isolated, starter battery so that if I draw my house bank down, I can still start the engine. What I ended up with is an 1800 watt inverter/40 amp charger combo, a 90 amp alternator, and two group 31 AGM batteries plus an isolated group 27 AGM for starting. This has worked out very well. I can even run my 1500 watt electric tea pot (while the engine is running - though this is pushing it I think). My only complaint is that when shore power is charging the batteries the fan is pretty noisy. I mounted it just above my head in my berth above the house bank of batteries. This was the best place to put it in order to keep the digitally controlled unit out of the (hot) engine area.

I also installed a battery "fuel gauge" which can show me the percent of charge left, the voltage on either the house bank or the starter battery, and the amps in or out. The latter feature has led to my intention to replace all my incandescent and halogen bulbs with LED units. I am particularly concerned with replacing the anchor light which is drawing 1.4 amps! I am going slow on replacing the house lights as the LED units are expensive!
Old 05-28-2013

Brisak is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 31 Water Tanks and more

Hi All,

I bought a 1979 Cal 31 back in July and have a few questions:

1) I just noticed a crack on the bigger water tank (50'x21"). Problem is that one side of the tank is curved to fit under the settee, agains the hull. Does anyone know where can I get a new tank? I looked int Plastic-Mart, but to get started with the mold for a custom shape they charge at least 2k. Too much for a little water tank.

2) One of the previous owners took off the original stove. Any tips on where I can find a stove like the original?

Thank you
Old 05-30-2013

I think you need to google custom boat water tank. I found several companies offering to design and build custom tanks. There is no mold required - they just "weld" together sections of plastic to create the tank. I paid only a couple of hundred to get replace the (leaking) stainless diesel tank with a custom aluminum tank and I can't believe plastic would cost more. I haven't looked at mine yet but would wonder that the biggest job would just be removing the old one and slipping in the new one. Don't overlook the opportunity to replace your hose while you are at it.
Old 05-31-2013

Re: Cal 31 Water Tanks and more

The original stove was probably a Princess two or three burner by Seward with an oven/broiler. It was either propane or CNG. Mine is the three burner CNG. Your previous owner was not alone, many Cal31 owners have removed the stove and use a camping stove and/or microwave. This is because it is most often used as a weekend boat and not a cruiser. CNG has the advantage of not needing special storage and electric hookups for a solenoid. It is inherently safer because CNG rises instead of settling in the bilge. The disadvantage is availability and cost of fuel and a less hot flame than propane. You might well find a used stove for a reasonable price but you need to know which fuel it was made for as they are not interchangeable. If you don't have the propane tanks and storage locker (drained over the side) as well as the safety solenoid and associated wiring this is going to add a considerable amount to your cost. If you plan on extended cruising and/or doing a lot of cooking propane is the way to go. You might want to consider a higher quality stove as well like the Force 10. Check out your options at a site like Marine Stoves, Cooktops, Ovens and Ranges.
Old 06-03-2013

Brisak is on a distinguished road

Hi jeflaba,

Any particular place to recommend in CA? My boat and I are down in Oceanside, but would have no problem going up to LA area.

Thanks for answering both topics
Old 04-09-2014

thudbranch is on a distinguished road

I have had Evania, a 1981 Cal 31 since 2001 and sail in Puget Sound, Washington. What do you want to know. I may be able to help.
Old 05-16-2014

Cal31Windchaser is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Cal 31 in January 2014. It didn't have a bimini. Just spent 20 days on inland waters (about 500 miles traveled). Definately need shade in the hot southern sun. Cockpit shade is a challenge on this boat due to the small cockpit, split backstay and cockpit mounted main sheet. Anyone find a good solution they could share?
Old 05-16-2014

Cal31Windchaser is on a distinguished road

I need as big a bimini i can fit on my 31 with accomodation for the split backstay and bridgedeck mounted main sheet.
Old 07-14-2014

Hope you have found a solution/vendor for your bimini needs. I have had my Cal31, Imagination, for 26 years now and of all the upgrades I might consider, a bimini is near the top of my list. I just returned from a bluewater crossing to Honolulu from San Pedro, CA on a friends boat, a Catalina 42. It had both a dodger and a bimini and I can't imagine how uncomfortable the trip would have been without either. Additionally the bimini was used to mount two 10 amp solar panels as well as GPS and AIS antennas.

Imagination has the boom sheeted to the bridge deck and not the cabin top. this makes installing a dodger somewhat iffy. The bimini, however would really help with the SoCal sun. Also, if I get refrigeration installed (pricing it this week after living aboard for 4 years) I will need someplace to mount solar panels if I don't want to be running the engine for a couple hours a day when not connected to 120VAC.

One of the things holding me back is that I would want to replace the stern railing (pushpit) rather than just add new mounts for the bimini. I have already replaced the bow pulpit with considerably stronger stainless tubing than was used in the original. My current pushpit is marginal for holding my 45# dinghy outboard. With a stronger structure and perhaps a built in crane I could consider a larger outboard and maybe get my dinghy up on a plane!

To be honest, If I added everything I want (secondary antenna mounts, radar mount, corner seats, stereo speakers, grill mount and maybe a rack for my mountain bike, in addition to the outboard mount and crane and solar panels) I am afraid it would cost a fortune and look like a Rube Goldberg contraption.