SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fuel tank clean/replace Cal 29 Atomic 4

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  RNC725 
#1 ·
Have badly contaminated fuel tank...anyone out there ever replaced the tank?...or have a method to clean it?

#2 ·
I was able to remove my tank and replace it with a 25 gallon one just by removing the sliding panel assembly in the port quarter berth. Mine was just a 16 gallon rectangular tank with a fill line, vent line and line going to the fuel pump.

I think I did unhook the exhaust, but I seem to think that I only needed to do that to squeeze the larger tank in. Depending on how various hoses are run, you may need to disconnect them and get them out of the way. A half gallon mix of vinegar and thinner let sit for a few day in the bottom of the tank will loosen up sludge and/or dislodge corrosive scale (if you took on water into the tank). If you do see scale come out when you empty it, consider a new tank, you'll never get it all out and you don't want the atomic passing that stuff like a kidney stone.

#4 ·
How difficult it is depends on where it is in your boat. It may be as simple as themcnasty's was, or it may require cutting away structure. I would suggest that before you make any decision, have the tank pressure tested. Most marine repair services can do this. If it is sound, then you can have it cleaned out. This requires removing the plate where the fuel guage is and pulling out the sensor. You really should have a professional do this because gasoline is really dangerous stuff. Anyway after put on a new gasket put the guage sensor back in and have it pressure tested again.

Or you can do what was suggested, keep adding stuff that dissolves the crud, an changing filters until everything comes up clean.

#5 ·
On my website I have some wesbites listed that may help you out. There is one(New Fuel Tank) that really is pretty impressive with alot of pictures and it well documented. It will probably be the most helpful.

Check it out here. Scroll down to the engines section. Look around the site a little bit, you may find some more interesting info.

Best of luck with the project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.