Fuel tank clean/replace Cal 29 Atomic 4 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2008 Thread Starter

Fuel tank clean/replace Cal 29 Atomic 4

Have badly contaminated fuel tank...anyone out there ever replaced the tank?...or have a method to clean it?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-19-2008
Complete&Rudder Disaster

I was able to remove my tank and replace it with a 25 gallon one just by removing the sliding panel assembly in the port quarter berth. Mine was just a 16 gallon rectangular tank with a fill line, vent line and line going to the fuel pump.

I think I did unhook the exhaust, but I seem to think that I only needed to do that to squeeze the larger tank in. Depending on how various hoses are run, you may need to disconnect them and get them out of the way. A half gallon mix of vinegar and thinner let sit for a few day in the bottom of the tank will loosen up sludge and/or dislodge corrosive scale (if you took on water into the tank). If you do see scale come out when you empty it, consider a new tank, you'll never get it all out and you don't want the atomic passing that stuff like a kidney stone.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-06-2008

Smile It is true to say. Support you.

It is true. Support you.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-07-2008

How difficult it is depends on where it is in your boat. It may be as simple as themcnasty's was, or it may require cutting away structure. I would suggest that before you make any decision, have the tank pressure tested. Most marine repair services can do this. If it is sound, then you can have it cleaned out. This requires removing the plate where the fuel guage is and pulling out the sensor. You really should have a professional do this because gasoline is really dangerous stuff. Anyway after put on a new gasket put the guage sensor back in and have it pressure tested again.

Or you can do what was suggested, keep adding stuff that dissolves the crud, an changing filters until everything comes up clean.

Ike
My Boat building Web Site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Boating Safety Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-07-2008
Montgomery 17

On my website I have some wesbites listed that may help you out. There is one(New Fuel Tank) that really is pretty impressive with alot of pictures and it well documented. It will probably be the most helpful.

Check it out here. Scroll down to the engines section. Look around the site a little bit, you may find some more interesting info.

Best of luck with the project.

Small is beautiful, simple, cheap, and easy......

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
post #6 of 6 Old 08-18-2010
RNC725

great info guys

I have a 1967 Cal 30 and will be changing the gas tank soon, thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.