Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008

sendrom is on a distinguished road
Unhappy not enough water outta egzost...

I have my Cal 9.2 on dry dock and getting it ready for the season. Last year before we moved to land the engine was not running at %100 towards the end. So I started the engine with a bucket of water this year to see what's up. No water coming out of the back. Checked the water pump and the pump is ok. I removed the hose out form the out side of the pump an there was sufficient water so it's not the water pump. Replaced the thermostat, now there is a bit of water coming from the back but very little and has black tar like stuff in it. I by passed the thermostat with another hose and fed the water directly in to the elbow and I had enough water coming from the back so no clogs in the egzost system however there was some black hardened tar or something in the in part of the thermostat housing that I scraped with a screwdriver. Installed everything back on but still next to nothing of a water. Checked Torreson's site for Universal 5411 which is what I have I think and they say engine zinc are not used in this unit??? Also I don't know if I have a heat exchanger or not. I am thinking of removing the elbow and checking it this week to see if there is any condensation otherwise I am open to any and all suggestions you may give... Thank you....

Also I think the raw water is actually circulating through the engine without a problem....

Thanks again...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2008
Banned

seawitch1906 is on a distinguished road
exhust ? exozt.. poatato ..

you don't know you have a heat exchanger ? or not? ... that would be a good start to "find out" ...

in my take on this .. your exchager is plugged up or corroded .. and full of stuff ... do you ever replace the zink pencil in the exchager ( after you find it) ? .... Im a bit confused by your assesment ...
Old 05-20-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Egzost huh? Phonetically correct I suppose but IIRC it's exhaust. If you have a heat exchanger, it's likely full of crap or just corroded. If it's just a water muffler it likely the same issue. The tar in the water pump might be some oil tar from an old spill that got sucked into the system. If so, the strainer would be fairly plugged as well.
Old 05-21-2008

sendrom is on a distinguished road
I understand your exhaustion however I don't know the answer to whether or not the heat exchanger exists. Simply because the Torrenson marine site claims that because the Universal 5411 is a raw water only engine without any clean water parts it does not have engine zincs. I also read in few other resources that the heat exchangers are not a must for every engine. So I am not sure. Let's assume it is not the exchanger would it be the manifold then?
Old 05-21-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It could very well be. It sounds like you may have to pull pieces off and inspect as ya go.