Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Any reviews of the Cal 33-2?

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of a boat search, and I've become interested in the Cal 33-2. So far, the only info I've found on these boats is a Bob Perry review of the design (but not the boat itself). Does anyone know if there is a full review of this boat anywhere?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any information about the build quality. I'm not that familiar with 80s Cal construction methods, so any information about things like solid vs. cored hull, what type of hull-to-deck joint, backing plates on hardware--those sort of things--would be very helpful. Also, any major known issues (other than the standard stuff on all older boats) is really appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2008

edstill is on a distinguished road
I'll second the request, as I have my eye on one as well.

EGS
Old 09-08-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
They are a glass hull, very competently put together, IMHO a very nice design for a performance coastal cruiser.
Old 09-09-2008

saltybob2 is on a distinguished road
Cal 33-2

I own a Cal 34, big brother to the boat to the model you asked about. I can tell you that Cal's are legendary sailboats, built to last. The 34 sails fast enough to beat most boats her LOA today. My hull is solid glass, cored deck and solid cabin top. The hardware was some of the best available when the boat was built 31 years ago. I just replace 4 port lights with stainless steel and the hardest part was getting the old ones out! They never leaked but the hardware failed to a point they became inoperable. The deck to hull on ours is riveted and glassed over. Its' impossible to get leaks inside the hull from that joint. Resale is usually high, if the boat is well maintained. Most boats of this vintage will have Westerbeke diesels that need attention. Parts are scarce and we have decided to re-power even though there are only 2,800 hrs on ours. The Paragon V-Drive has failed and no parts are available.
The joinery on our boat is still beautiful and the layout is perfect for us. I'd take it anywhere in the world. As you can tell, we are very fond of our Cal. Yahoo has a very active Cal users group you might want to visit. Cheers, Dan
Old 10-11-2012

Jeep's Cal is on a distinguished road
Re: Any reviews of the Cal 33-2?

I bought a 1987 Cal 33 this June and am very satified with is construction and preformance. Competes well in the Wed night racing on the Miles River. I have already won my first long distance race beating both PERF 1 and 2 boats. This all with crusing sails and second hand spinniker gear. Some gel coat cracks on deck and some leakage around the chain plates. Will take care of this over the winter.
Old 10-16-2012

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road
Re: Any reviews of the Cal 33-2?

Long term owner of early hull # in 1986. Shoal draft.

Note Cal 34 is not related in any way with the 33-2. Two different designs and builders.

What I like? Sailplan, fore and aft berths, engine, engine access, mast, cockpit layout. Sails better than expected. Just finished 30 mile upwind slug in 25 knots with #3 and single reefed main. Headroom below is great and it is generally a decent looking boat

Things I really do not like. Forward hull oil cans in a chop (this might have been remedied in later builds). General construction of the deck has many sharp 90 degree corners above and below decks aft. Meaning more stress cracking and gel coat voids at the corners...plus dangerous if you land on one of them. Cockpit lazarrette lid is heavy, bulky, and thus a safety hazard when open in a chop. The U shaped starboard settee is just not a good design for group dinner or for sleeping upon. Original traveler is a joke.

I've years on Swans and Sabres. I would place the build quality below Sabre and Tartan of same vintage, but the price will also be lower.

I'm not sure I would do it again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.