Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009
45.63N 122.67W

Calabego is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
You might want to find out from other Sailnetters if they have had any reliability issues with them. The times you use your engine can be the times you really need it to work.

Regards
Amen to that one. Think motor reliability for more than just getting in and out of the slip. High wind/current/tide shift where you end up over your head managing the boat, especially if single handing leaves you relying on one small thing. That kicker. If it fails you're either signalling for a tow or anchoring until you can get things back under your control. Trying to repair a kicker while hanging over the transom at anchor in wind chop is no fun job.

Its been a decade since I've been down to Pearl. Is there much wind to play in in the harbor? I recall it being pretty sheltered...
Old 05-20-2009
Custom Member

Stiche is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Stay with the 50 horse. It should weigh enough to make the stern squat down enough to keep the prop in the water. On the days with no wind you can go water skiing. I think that the extra weight of the 50 should only cost you 1 to 2 knots of sailing speed.

On second thought, stay with advice given in the other posts above.
What are you talking about?! That didn't stop the latest MacGregor 26, with that 60hp THING.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that thing looks a lot more like a powerboat with a sail, than a sailboat with a motor?

I'm sorry...that thing is a joke that floats...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2009
45.63N 122.67W

Calabego is on a distinguished road
Hey, you can't knock the M26.
When you lose your rigging in a 5kt "blow" you always have that trusty 60hp to get you home dragging the rigging and all.

I saw it with my own eyes. Granted I left a 1 out of the gust for the drama.
It was really a 15 knot knockdown.
Old 05-21-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
not sure of the weight of your boat, but my Pearson 26 has a Merc 15hp 2-stroke. Pearson recommends 10hp max in the docs but my friend the prev. owner went with the 15hp for when extra power is helpful to punch through. It is useful now & then.

Definitely go with a long shaft, ours is a transom mount 20" shaft and I was stopped by cavitation last year in choppy 4' waves into a 25mph breeze, couldn't keep the prop in the water. I may look for a 25" shaft next time if I can find one.

Next time I might go with a 9.9hp 4-stroke, though it weighs the same as our 15hp two-stroke.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 11-07-2009

Bonden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendertweed View Post
not sure of the weight of your boat, but my Pearson 26 has a Merc 15hp 2-stroke. Pearson recommends 10hp max in the docs but my friend the prev. owner went with the 15hp for when extra power is helpful to punch through. It is useful now & then.

Definitely go with a long shaft, ours is a transom mount 20" shaft and I was stopped by cavitation last year in choppy 4' waves into a 25mph breeze, couldn't keep the prop in the water. I may look for a 25" shaft next time if I can find one.

Next time I might go with a 9.9hp 4-stroke, though it weighs the same as our 15hp two-stroke.

Yeah, 6 to 10 ought to be plenty for a T/4 - I've used an old 9.9 HP Honda 4-stroke 20" shaft on my old San Juan 24 (3600# boat) which seemed a bit too much, both power and especially weight (almost 90#?!) - like the guy that said half throttle is all he used.

Also used a new Tohatsu/Nissan 6 HP 4-stroke 25" (55#) shaft on the San Juan 24 as well as a little on my more recent Cal T/4. Even with the 25" there are still times in rough chop when the engine rises out of the water and "screams", which I hear is NOT the thing.

I'm very happy with the 6 HP, power-wise, and will note here that its built on the same "family" of engine block and other engine parts as the 4 and 5 HP (at the same weight) - different cam is the main difference, I hear. Just as the old honda 7.5 HP is made on the same block and other parts as their 9.9...

So, I'd always buy the 4-stroke, always the largest HP for a given block "family" & weight, and I'd ALWAYS buy the 25" shaft length for transom-hung sailing applications, vs the 20" (don't even conside the 'short' 15" shaft length for sailboats, except for no-wind, mill-pond-smooth conditions).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bonden; 11-07-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-09-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

Its all in the prop you should be SURE you get a high thrust prop for the outboard you pick

This a big issue with many older used outboards

4hp VS Cal 29 4 hp wins and moves boat 12 miles at 4.5 knots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
We are running an older Johnston Sailmaster long prop 6hp on our Cal 28. I feel we are underpowered when coming around into the wind, but it is fine for straight motoring. Hauled us from Half Moon Bay thru the Gate and down to Oyster Point one day in about 8 hours: heavy swells, 12 to 15 foot, close CLOSE intervals... did the job just fine. Only tricky when coming in and out of the slip with a wind off the bow.

The 24 is a lighter vessel, 4000 verses 8000 so I think anything between 6 and 9 HP should be ample.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 12-28-2009
1974' Cal 21

bonito is on a distinguished road
If I can put in my 2 cents:
I would go with a 2.5 HP (get 4 stroke for easy maintenance), all you need if you just planing in using in getting it in and out of the harbor. But if you plan to go further distance, may want to go bigger.
I have a Cal 21 w/ a 9.9 HP, way too much power and way too much weight, that's why I am selling it and getting a 2 or 2.5 HP.
My 2 cents.....LOL.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2009

coldsteel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Aloha,
Let me first say it has been great receiving all the advice and information on what type and size of outboard motor I should put on my Cal T/4. Thanks to all of you. I have purchased a Tohatsu 9.8hp, 2 stroke with a 20” shaft. I looked over everyone’s posting and did a lot of research online and decided that for the power vs weight a 2 stroke engine was the way to go. Yes, I know that a 4 stroke is more dependable and you don’t have to mix the oil and gas together. If I wanted something that was easy I would have purchased a power boat instead of a sailboat. The price of a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke was also a factor but not that big a factor. I can lift the 2 stroke fairly easily in and out of the motor mount without any help and the pull start seamed easier than the 4 stroke. I guess that it will take some time before I find out if I made a good decision. Mahalo again for all of your advice.
Old 01-03-2010
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
How in the world did you get a 2-stroke 9.8 in Hawaii? They haven't been available for import to the U.S. for five years.