Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012

sailnova is on a distinguished road
Re: Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21

Rippy, I wish I had advice to offer but I only have experience. We sailed a little last summer with no support on the trunk. We had removed everything (v-berth, quarter berths, trunk support) to rebuild the trunk and get rid of any rotten wood. There was quite a bit of flex in the trunk while sailing especially when there was a little swell. The support gives not only the trunk rigidity but also the hull. It was pretty frightening to watch it while underway but nothing bad happened.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012

rippy is on a distinguished road

Hey sailnova, Thanks for the feedback. I wonder why the flex didn't mess up the support pole for the mast? Maybe you were just lucky? Phew, nervous stuff. I will install a transverse support in front of the mast post(I guess that's also the back of the v birth) and then rebuild the ply in back of the keel bolt making sure everything butts up against the trunk. I hope to race my Cal this summer...once I learn a little more about racing sailboats so things need to be shipshape. Thanks again, rippy
Old 05-03-2012

Rippy, we had a different system in place to support the mast with a couple of 2x4s because there was nothing to put the original support onto. Unfortunately I don't have a great picture but this is what it looked like around the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21-keel-trunk.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012

rippy is on a distinguished road

Hmmm sailnova, you said there were swells and I suppose the wind was also blowing. I wonder if the mast swaying could have been causing some of the movement in the trunk you mentioned? Man you sure are great with pics. Thanks, rip
Old 05-07-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road

Sailnova;
Even with the bulkheads and everything in place the top of the keel trunk will still flex and sway a bit undersail. It only moves about 1/4 -1/2" due to the bulkhead restraining it...but it can be a bit un-nerving to watch it while napping in the V-Berth underway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Old 05-07-2012

Rippy, the transverse bulkhead just forward of the keel well is VERY necessary! The forces of the keel act against that bulkhead reducing flex of the keel well which prevents fatigue at the point where hull and keel well come together. Secound, the forces of the mast pushing down and windward shrouds pulling up and in are resisted by that bulkhead. The whole midships countertop that serves as a cover over the head compartment and (on our boat) the galley to port, is actually a box structure that distributes the whole stresses of the athwartships (across the boat) forces of the rig. You could elimiate what is there, but only if you build in a substitute structure to take it's place. Even with all htat structure we had a crack develop at the forward end of the keel trunk where it meets the hull, as the keel moved slightly underway, the crack would open slightly (1/8" or so) and water would squirt in. Had to haul boat our and glass over the crack inside and out. That is also another reason to keep the pivot bolt at least snug while sailing, in addition to using the keel locking bolt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Old 05-07-2012

Sailnova, I didn't forget about your question concerning the mast step. However, I needed to log a few more posts before I could answer your private message. This post should do it! I' mnot sure that my attachments were included i nmy PM to you. However, they might be interesting to others so I'll post them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21-cal-20-oem-mast-step_2.jpg   Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21-oem-mast-step_deck-fitting.jpg   Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21-mast-base.jpg   Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21-masttab.jpg  

NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 05-07-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-16-2012

Thanks for the info! I just took the drawing to a local machinist yesterday to make a new mast stand. Slowly checking things off the list. Windows, hardware and rebuilding the mast support in the cabin...hopefully we will get in a test sail in June and hopefully see our hard work and time payoff!
Old 05-25-2012

tazerproof is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone...

Just thought I would chime in since this thread seems to be where the Cal 21 owners are congregating.

Just bought one last night, going to pick it up today, give it a good cleaning over the weekend and then take her for a shakedown Tuesday. I'll report back with pics and/or stupid questions.

BTW, my boat came with an original owners manual, so if anyone needs one, let me know and I'll scan you a copy.
Old 01-24-2013

growser is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Cal 21 and am looking for a manual - you are a lifesaver! I can't email you as I don't have 20 posts yet. I'll do some posts over the next few days. Does anyone else know where this manual might also be available?