SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cal/)
-   -   Cal 25 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cal/59194-cal-25-a.html)

PaulinVictoria 10-23-2009 08:25 PM

Cal 25

So... I'm still in the hunt for a nice little starter boat. I've seen this Cal25 advertised, sensible price but not too sure on their "good condition" in the advert. Looks like it needs a fair amount of TLC to me.
Anyone got any opinions on it?
25' CAL 25 SAILBOAT IN GOOD CONDITION Malahat (including Shawnigan Lake & Mill Bay), Victoria

Faster 10-23-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 535056)
So... I'm still in the hunt for a nice little starter boat. I've seen this Cal25 advertised, sensible price but not too sure on their "good condition" in the advert. Looks like it needs a fair amount of TLC to me.
Anyone got any opinions on it?
25' CAL 25 SAILBOAT IN GOOD CONDITION Malahat (including Shawnigan Lake & Mill Bay), Victoria

A friend bought a similar model about 10 years ago in the Victoria area for similar money - it looked better than that one. However they are not great pictures and much of the streaking may well be cosmetic and simply require some elbow grease.

The other thing that caught my eye was an apparent modification to the deck just forward and starboard of the companionway hatch. Can't quite make out what it is - could be something simply sitting there, or someone created a "bump" for some reason. Might want to look closely at that if that's the case.

These are pretty solid boats as a rule, many prone to significant blistering so watch for that. If it's been on Shawnigan lake that might be good news. No trailer mentioned so be sure to find out where they'd "put it in the water for you".

It won't race to weather in a hurry, but as a starter, forgiving sort of cruiser you could do worse, and the investment is rather minimal. Chances are, though, that it WILL be a starter and if things go well you'll be looking for more soon enough.

At present, it "looks" rough enough that a lowish offer may be justified.

PaulinVictoria 10-23-2009 10:24 PM

I've asked him a few questions, let's see what he comes back with. I also notice he's been trying to shift it for a while, lowball offer might be a fine idea ;)

Stiche 10-26-2009 12:38 PM

Well, I own a Cal 25, #256, so I can certainly testify to their excellent purpose as a starter boat. The Cal 25 was built before resin scheduling in fiberglass was optimized. As such, most glass boats (to include the Cal) are over-resined fiberglass tanks. A few notes that I caught looking at the pictures and ad.

Stern pulpit is a nice addition, as are the spreader lights.

The bow hatch concerns me. That looks like the original hatch. After 40 years, that thing is going to be at, near, or past its service life. Check all around the interior for water stains or rotting. Mine was beginning to rot out, so I replace it with a Bowmar Low Profile hatch (1000 series, 21"x21"), which I'm much happier with. Aside from the price (about $519 from Defender)), installation is easy. I ordered one larger that the original hole, so I could cut out a new hole. Took about 1 1/2 hours start to finish.

Paint looks decent for the boat. That's always a plus.

Wiring...well...Cal 25s never had a factory wiring kit. I'd inspect it, because every guy out there thinks he's an electrician...most aren't. My stern light was wired to the block by speaker wire...That was my indication that all the wiring was coming out, no more discussion.

The white streaking is old paint or oxidation that is powdering. Elbow grease and more elbow grease, or elbow grease and some Interlux Brightside :)

I don't see interior cushions. Does it have a decent set?

To Faster's comments:
1- blisters...well...yea...but I'm from the the group that says, "let solid blisters lay." If you're not going to race, and the blisters are solid, that it's not worth the time to sand down blisters that will keep returning anyway. Besides, it's 40 years old, blisters are a fact of life.
2- I think the "bump is just a shadow from the spreader bars.
3- As a starter, I'd go further than saying you could do worse. I would rank it pretty high as a starter cruiser. Strong hull, easy to sail, and very forgiving to the new owner.

Last words of caution when inspecting the boat. Check for a spongy feel on the deck. Especially around the pop-top and the main beam. Check to see it the beam is sagging or has pulled away from the bulkheads. Spongy decks can be replaced (though not easily). A spongy or saggy beam is a deal killer. Just walk away. Check the keel for cracking at the stern end. A little cracking is fine, but more that a couple of inches is not so good, and MAY be an indicator of separation. Check everywhere for indications of leaks. More specifically:
Chainplates, any through-deck fitting, the portlights (I can see from the picture they are the original aluminum frames, which is fine), the anchor points for the lifelines (U-bolts), the lifeline stanchions, the corners of the cockpit brightwork, the bow hatch. Look for darkening of the wood, if nothing else. I mention those places because mine leaked in all of them when I bought mine (what idiot backplates the lifeline stanchions, but doesn't backplate the lifeline anchors?). Fixing leaks is not too difficult. Some 3M Marine Adhesive 4000 UV and a lot of latex gloves (when it happens, you'll know) can fix that.
I agree that $3500 may be a little high in today's market. I paid $2500 3 years ago for mine, which also needed some TLC and had a bunch of leaks. Mine had a full (and good quality) sail set though, mainsail, 150% Genoa, spinnaker and reek spinnaker, and a good 9.9 Johnson (OMC) 2-stroke. Off the cuff? With good sails $3000-$3250 is fair, and I also agree with Faster on the picture quality. That stern picture does indicate the paint has been maintained. Certainly better that mine when I bout her.

For more information, check out the Cal 25 site, Cal25 DOT com. Under the restorations tab, see "common problems." This should reinforce and add to my list. Also, the Cal forum here and the general forum on the Cal 25 site are good resources of information.

Bottom line? Good, solid first boat. Hard to do better IMHO. Be aware of the common problems and give them honest attention, but you'll like how she sails on the water. $3500 may be high, but if the outboard is newish, the sails are in good condition (stiff, not soft), the cushions are clean (no mildew) or can be cleaned easily) and she doesn't leak, $3500 is a decent price. If ll of thoe criteria aren't met, start lowering the price some and see what the owner does.

-Mike

PaulinVictoria 10-26-2009 12:54 PM

Thanks Mike, fantastic information there, much appreciated.

I'm still deciding what to do boat-wise. I started out thinking something in the 20ft size would be good enough, then quickly thought "well actually, I learnt on a 25ft so that'd be OK too" and now it's to the "I suppose anything up to about 30ft would be alright" :D
I think I'm just going to have to set a budget (and actually set it, these things have a habit of getting pushed!) and see what the most I can get is. I might even just stick with crewing over the winter as that's going to take most of my sail time anyway.

gmacon 10-26-2009 10:33 PM

Cal 25

the boat in the picture is an "A" hull Cal 25. One of the first that were made. The deck beam looks good. Looks like the deck is a little "saggy" around the teak pieces on either side of the hatch but who really cares. Looks like a good deal w/ all the stuff it has. If it has cushions your all set. The rubrail is hit. You need a new one....They come from 2 different places. Both guy's are online, just do a search for Cal 25 rubrail. Its gonna be $350. Deduct from the price.

I have two of these boats (630 & 1241) and there great. You'll love it. I would offer less than asking price but the price he is asking is reasonable if there are cushions. They can be quite expensive.

Stiche 10-27-2009 11:37 AM

Um...yea...sticking to a budget is probably a good idea when refurbishing your Cal 25. Let us never speak of this subject again. :)

RachelFail 10-28-2009 02:26 PM

All Cals are great boats, I think they are the most bang for your buck everytime in every size.