Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Cal 25 a good beginner boat?

I sure hope so because I may end up getting one tomorrow and furthermore it will be my first sailboat ever. Not sure I should go this big but I have been reading mixed things. Some say start with a small dinghy, others say a larger keel boat 22-27ft range. I am choosing the more relaxing cruiser style sailing. Anyway, I hope this is a good starter boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I think it's up to the person. I looked at a 23' and then a 26' and decided that I needed to start small. I'm surrounded by land so I needed something trailerable. Keep us posted and post some pics when you get the time!!! Congrats!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-06-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
There were two versions of the Cal 25. The earlier version had flush decks and the II which came around into production around 1975 had a coach roof and more head room down below.
Either one would make a fine entry level boat in my opinion. The II being a bit more family friendly while the I is still actively raced in some parts of the country.
We had II and one thing I would mention is to watch for leaks around the chain plates which lead to bulkhead rot and deterioration.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-06-2010

Well I did buy the boat today, turned out it was pretty nice when I seen it in person and much bigger then I thought. I did not know there were two versions of it, this must be the CAL I since it has a flush deck. All the rigging, mast and sails appeared to be in good shape. He only had a 50lb thrust minn kota motor on it (nearly new, he had the box for it still), it was all he was using to get in and out of the docks. He added that in with the deal along with a small refrigerator which was nice. Outside of it was in good shape as far as hull condition, looks like it needs a bit of washing and maybe due for a bottom job since he never knew when it was last done. I would like to paint the entire exterior and may do that. Mostly the boat needs some interior work. Its all in good shape just very bare like a fishing boat cabin, only bare wood seating and such. Has tons of potential on the inside to be nice and plush if I desire. I got a great deal on it! The jib is in good condition but the guy never used it so that is something I have to learn how to use. I am interested to see the interior of other peoples boats like this so I can get an idea of how I want to set mine up. I put the tarp over it just because I had it and there was one of the small front wood cabin panels missing. So this will help it stay dry inside. I have a lot of plans for the boat and think within a month it will be very nicely setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 25 a good beginner boat?-imag0034_3.jpg   Cal 25 a good beginner boat?-imag0035_3.jpg  
Old 02-10-2010

scottkroll is on a distinguished road
The current edition of Good old Boat has a nice article of an interior remodel of an older cal 25
Old 02-10-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Awesome man! Looks like a nice one!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-10-2010

Good thing is, nothing is really wrong with her, she mainly just needs cosmetic work and definitely remodeling of interior. This said, I could sail her all I want as is. I plan on doing practice runs everytime I go out to work on her, this way I can get the hang of sailing. I am planning on sailing her to cat island once I can get a lot more experience and accommodations inside such as a table, stove and porta potti. I am estimating that would be at least a 12 hr trip one way so those things are totally required. In the end, with a lot of time and patience I hope to have a decent small cruiser and understand all the basics of sailing. If this is indeed the end result, I will be thoroughly satisfied!

Last edited by sailguy40; 02-10-2010 at 10:27 PM.