Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
CAL 25 cockpit not draining

Had some rain yesterday and when I got to the boat the cockpit was half full with water! Is this normal for this boat when it rains? I had to bail it out. This worries me. I think it is draining but very slow. Anyone know what I can do about this? I am afraid a hard rain could sink her!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Most of the Cal 25, 27 and 29's I've seen have a drain at the aft end of the cockpit sole that discharges through the bottom center of the transom. It's fairly sizable and, on our old boat, would normally drain a cockpit filled to the level of the seats in 2-3 minutes. There is, however, a little collection basin adjacent to the drain-hole that can easily clog with debris--leaves and what have you--that will slow or prevent draining. This is especially so if a prior owner installed a "flapper valve" cover over the outside of the drain to prevent following seas from blowing water back into the cockpit.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-10-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Good news: It happened at the dock.
Old 02-10-2010

Mine has 2 drain holes in the front of the cockpit. When I look inside the cabin there are 2 small drain hoses that lead into the bottom of the boat. They are most likely clogged, I imagine they drain on the very bottom of the aft area where they go in. I need to get this taken care of asap
Old 02-10-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There should be valves at the hull...make sure they are open, then try rodding out the line with a stiff piece of wire if the run is straight enough. There is a possibility that the valves, if present, will not move - but are probably open and can be cleared.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-10-2010

I don't think it has valves, only drains with hoses attached. The only thing I notice is the 2 drain holes on the floor of the cockpit that lead to those 2 hoses in the inside which are just under the opening to the cabin. Both of the hoses are attached with hose clamps on each end. I am nearly sure they go straight down to the bottom of the hull into the water. It has to be just debris clogging them up. I am going to try to rod it out, should be all thats necessary and its what I first thought about doing. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-11-2010

Skylark23455 is on a distinguished road
If that's the case, you will want to put in seacocks (valves that can be closed) between the bottom of those hoses to the thru-hulls the next time you have her out of the water.
Old 02-11-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Humm... You must have a newer Cal. In any case, Skylark is correct. Any through-hull below the waterline should have a seacock to allow it to be closed when/if necessary. In re: cleaning, you may find an investment in a plumber's snake (or the rental of one) worth the investment. Depending upon your location, you may also find that critters have set up house-keeping in your drain-lines and need be removed to keep the lines clear.

Good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-11-2010

DanielBoon is on a distinguished road
This happened on my Ericson 28 which had been sitting for a while prior to me buying it. After much rodding to no effect I donned my scuba mask and went underneath with a long screwdriver and picked some very interesting sealife out of the thru-hulls. After that, all now drains nicely! As for sea-cocks on cockipt drains, I questioned this when I bought the boat and my research showed that they are not such a good idea as the cockpit always needs to be able to drain rain and seawater. If you think about it, why would you ever want to close these off?
Old 02-12-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBoon View Post
....As for sea-cocks on cockipt drains, I questioned this when I bought the boat and my research showed that they are not such a good idea as the cockpit always needs to be able to drain rain and seawater. If you think about it, why would you ever want to close these off?
If the hose ever failed or came adrift - or needed to be changed - it would be nice to be able to close off that largish hole in the hull.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)