SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seafever's single biggest nightmare

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  tommays 
#1 ·
The shaft log which is one of those last ALMOST forever parts is broken and the PO pretty much had the shaft seal held in with plumbers putty

So this jig was made up at the motor height and i have to shim it up in line with the Prop Strut which is the part outside the boat that holds the prop shaft using a long shaft

Then i can cut out the bad part and epoxy in a new one which is so easy to type and so hard to do :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I have know since i pulled the prop-shaft and the cutlass bearing was worn through a a few degrees angle there was and aliment issue :rolleyes:

So out with the cutlass bearing and in with 1" bronze bushings and aliment shaft

Well i am pretty sure the stern tube was in the right place and the motor was 3-1/2' high SO that left the famous a MONKEY did a bad job of installing the strut

The wood really was on its last legs anyway so i am looking at as a blessing

The FEIN make quick work of that mess

And like magic suddenly everything lined up PERFECT now i just have to clean up all the parts and make some epoxy shims so i can lock it down in aliment

#4 ·
Nice reporting, thanks for that... What are you going to do when all this is finished???;)

#6 ·
:rolleyes:

So i will add on the other post but this is something i have never seen so BAD

I cut away the broken part of the tube

And made one of my famous portable machine tools in a last ditch effort to NOT cut out the tube :mad:

Which left with with a nice round 1.700 tube to eater clamp on a new log or epoxy on and reinforce it with a short piece of tube

BUT No what do i find a BIGAZZ BLISTER INSIDE the tube which kind of explains all the marine-tex i had to chip away :rolleyes:

And its a LOT deeper than it looks in the picture

So the good news is the tool worked great and i only have to cut out another 6" of tube :D

Well

Today was a GOOD DAY i came across a 1.75 diameter carbide facing tool which was GOOD as fiberglass rips tool steel a new ass and this was is made to work with hand held drill power

The hull is freaking thick in this area and i did not want to hack it up

And i had to do 1/2 from outside and 1/2 inside so the mandrel would stay supported and cut a true hole :rockon

#7 · (Edited)
Im very impressed Tommays...Well done....the ingenuity around here amazes me sometimes.

Looks Like one of the few places I would use 5200 on a boat..... bedding in a new log..;)

#10 ·
Well

In the end with the old tube being in ****-eyed the new hole was bit to ****-eyed SO a bunch of grinding to let the tube sit correctly

I played dentist so the first poor would stay locked in them taped things up careful

After it sits a day i will beef it up with a bunch of layers of cloth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.