Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010
Sailing Seas of Cheese

brianhess is on a distinguished road
CAL 30 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

Hey Garrett, thought you might find this link (above) useful information about your boat! Take care! Do you have pics of the interior of your Cal 30?

Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2010

GarrettJ is on a distinguished road
took some pictures for you today.
Attached Thumbnails
Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30002.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30003.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30005.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30006.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30010.jpg  

Old 09-27-2010

Im in the process of restoring the interior. I almost have the diesel all hooked up to. took some exterior photos also.
Attached Thumbnails
Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30012.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30014.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30017.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30011.jpg  
Old 09-27-2010
Sailing Seas of Cheese

Some pictures of my boat. More to follow with next posting.

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-port-side.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-port-side-forward.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-sail-cover.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-map-table.jpg
Old 09-27-2010
Sailing Seas of Cheese

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-salon-causeway.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-state-room.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-head.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-salon-facing-aft.jpg

Any one have an old Cal 1-30-mystery-motor.jpg
Old 10-08-2010

my girlfriend Ruth and I officially moved aboard our Cal 30and are heading south for the HAHA. We finally got hauled out so were working all day everyday on the boat. Heres some pics of her hauled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30-2.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30-3.jpg   Any one have an old Cal 1-30-cal-30-4.jpg  
Old 10-22-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
garrett-- thankyou for buying and restoring that boat-- as i said when i met you -- my bestest friend in this life had her for a few years until 2005??? 2005, i believe or 2006. then he went to santa barbara in her and back then after going back to sta barbara second time he sold her and found a pearson 33.
he said black pearl sailed better than the pearson--lol.. enjoy her and have a good cruising life with her-- she deserves it!!! goood boat....i am very glad to have met you!! have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2010

calgryphon is on a distinguished road
I own a 1965 cal 30. I have owned it since 1995. She sailed in the TransPac when she was still fairly new. The owner prior to me sailed her to mexico from San Francisco and I have sailed her extensively on Puget Sound and off the Oregon coast. I have made A LOT of changes to her both for liveabard comfort and for bluewater sailing. About 4 years ago I became very busy with other things and so she has been sitting on the hard for the 4 years. I plan on putting my house for sale late next spring and will move aboard and cruise when it finally sells. Among other things I have, rebuilt her engine beds, enclosed the head to port and moved the icebox to starboard opposite the head. I installed wheel steering, Proful roller furling, large Barient winces on the coach roof along with rope clutches. I added several cockpit drains (2 1" and 4 1.5") as they have a large cockpit. I installed very large Barient winches opposite the helm and let all lines aft of the wheel. This allows me to control the boat easily from the helm and insures that any passengers are not constantly moving to accomodate me. I did extensive mahogany work in the two quarterbirths, installed a propane stove top, and completey removed and rebuilt the galley to give more usable space and add two water tanks, and so much more it's difficult to write about. I removed the big sliding "patio door" windows and replaced them with thru-bolted lexan. This does not even begin to cover the number of changes and upgrades I have made. I also have several pictures available at webshots. If you like I can send a link to the pictures. Webshots does not spam and I've never had any problems with them. try this url calgryphon100's photos and albums on webshots since these photo's were taken at different times not all pics will show all the mods

Last edited by calgryphon; 11-21-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2010

Thanks for the post. all those pictures are awesome! We are in La Paz MX right now we left morro bay CA last sept. We have been debating completly redoing our interior for more space because the trip down has been very cramped. Its kinda in between redo the interior or put the boat up for sale and buy a bigger one, we still havnt decided. I would love to see recent pics of the modifications you have done and advise on what works and what doesn't. Look foward to hearing back from you.

Garrett
Old 11-25-2010

calgryphon is on a distinguished road
One thing I've noticed in seeing the interiors of some of these old 30's is how much the interiors changed over the years. Mine had a head that ran the width of the hull aft of the forward cabin. Others have a small enclosed head to port (which is where I relocated mine). Not having a full liner probably made those changes easier and less costly for Jensen Marine. One nice thing about these boats is that as long as you don't do anything to compromise their seaworthiness you can customize to your hearts content without negatively effecting their value. There are a few things that I am absolutely glad I did. First off was redoing the rigging. I replaced the chainplates and mast tangs with much heavier 316 stainless which is nearly double the size of the originals. I installed new 1/2" turnbuckles and 3/8" wire. This is overkill to be sure but it does have a calming effect on my nerves when the wind is really blowing. My old chainplates were used as backing plates for the new ones. I also installed a for real traveler car and track which makes tacking so much easier. The original curved track used to cause jams that were almost undo-able under tension. All the handrails were replaced with through-bolted stainles and tons of handholds were added below. These little boats can get very lively in rough conditions so there is no place below decks where you can't grab two at a time. The old windows were a joke so I replaced them with through bolted lexan. As you know, the bilge is quite large so I devided mine so that my bilge pumps will kick on before I have an overly large amount of water in them. As far as the below decks layout, it works pretty well for me but if I had it to do over there is one big change I would make. I do not like the dinette arangement. the wrap around bench is not very workable. Too hard to slide around to the inside and the table is too long for a couple to comfortably play cards sitting across from each other. This winter I plan to make a new hinged table that folds down and locks on the aft end. I've had this boat for 16 years now so I've made a lot of changes and honestly can not remember everything I have done to her. Since you are possibly redoing your interior there is one thing I would recommend. Located around my boat are ground and positive buss bars. The positive bussbars have their own fuses on the panels. This way when anything electrical is added it requires only a short run on the wires to go to a ground and a fused power source. I have a total of 4 panels, each with 6 fused switches. This really breaks up the load so if I blow a fuse it only takes out a couple of things instead of knocking power out to half the boat. The electric bilge pump and the VHF are on pushbutton breakers and bypass my battery switches. This way the battery's can be in the OFF position but the pump and VHF will still function. I have a total of 4 group 31 batteries in two banks for house power and one battery for the engine. Sorry for the long winded story. Hope you are enjoying the weather and hope you have a great xgiving. John

Last edited by calgryphon; 11-25-2010 at 03:20 PM.