SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 29 Main Cabin Table/Bed Post

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  helmanta 
#1 ·
Hi

Just purchased a used Cal 29. The kitchen table is held up by a metal post. The post can be removed and replaced with a shorter post allowing the table to convert into one half of a double bed. This shorter post was not included in the purchase. Could any Cal29 owners with this shorter post let me know the height? I can then get it made up at a local metal shop.

Note I could try and do a rough measurement but having the manufacturers height would be great.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Are your sure it's not on the boat? Look all the way aft in the port quarter berth and in the locker under the head of the port quarter berth--you might be surprised. If not simply measure the distance between the underside of the forward edge of the table and the rail that runs around the front and side edges of the setee and deduct that from the existing post length.

The Cal 29 is a great boat. We had a 1976 2-29 for a l-o-n-g time and regret having given her up to this day. Making up the salon berth is a pain in the neck, however, so we either used the V-berth or the quarter berths 99% of the time.

FWIW...

#5 ·
Mine was hidden in the cabinets behind the fuel tank for the stove
My Cal29 has been customized - the inboard converted to outboard and the stove replaced with a propane model (yes, I could cook a turkey at sea!). However, I think the advice is clear - get out my head mounted flashlight and do a really really detailed exploration. Hopefully I will stop barking my limbs on things soon.

#7 ·
I just bought a cal-29 that has a 4" black PVC pipe as the short post. I will measure it for you when i get back to the boat in two weeks. Or you can experiment with the cheap black pvc until you get it right, then go have one made out of aluminum form your local machine shop

#8 ·
If you will be making a replacement support post, take note that the base and top fittings have short pins that are designed to fit into a slot cut in the top and bottom of the support tube to ensure the alignment of the table and to disallow it to rotate unexpectedly should the locking screw in the base or top support loosen while the yacht's underway. When we owned our Cal 2-29, I actually cut a second slot in the lower end of the table post that allowed us to rotate the table "sideways" which made for a servicable navigation table while the yacht was underway.

FWIW...

#9 ·
If you will be making a replacement support post, take note that the base and top fittings have short pins that are designed to fit into a slot cut in the top and bottom of the support tube to ensure the alignment of the table and to disallow it to rotate unexpectedly should the locking screw in the base or top support loosen while the yacht's underway. When we owned our Cal 2-29, I actually cut a second slot in the lower end of the table post that allowed us to rotate the table "sideways" which made for a servicable navigation table while the yacht was underway.

FWIW...
Hmm,
thanks for the info, i did not see that. i will take note and look at mine. I did notice that my table did twist from side to side easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.