SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 29 cover?

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  swblack1216 
#1 ·
So , i bought my boat a year ago and there was this huge blue canvas thing in a massive bag stashed in the v berth. Well while i have been working on the boat i did i forgot about it till the other day and drug it out to have a look.
It turns out that its a two piece cover meant for storage " winter ?" . In Texas its not practical.. my boat stays in the water year round and gets used year round so why would i ever cover it?

Any boys/girls need a pacific blue cover and have something to trade? lol
rom the looks and the tags this was not a cheep idem it even has some leather in area's of friction to prevent a tear.

#6 ·
Howzit Guys,
Just by chance if you're checking in. We're looking ata Cal 29 today and wondering if there's any special ares of concern. Is this keel integrated or does it have bolts. Anybody know? A quick reply is appreciated.
Mahalo,
Leonard

#9 ·
Cal 2/29

Thanks for the input guys. No keel bolts, so it's integrated like the 2-30's. I've read your blog Tommays, and you've done some extensive work. We did not look under the liner and have to _assume_ that it's sound. How'd you find out about yours? The boat we're looking at is a 78 and is clean fromm the rail down. Topsides needs paint but otherwise looks good. Has a Faryman 12 hp/1 lunger , wheel steering and furling.Price seems fair for Hawaii and we're serious about it. Our T/2 is for sale! HAHA. Keep you posted.
Mahalo,
LR

Attachments

#10 ·

If you look under the seating right next to the compression post you will see the beam tabs and both my and

Wilkie's Cal 29 Sailboat Page

had the same crack from the force of the rust

Its hard to avoid as the ice box hose drains on the beam and the hole in liner in the head area also dumps right on the beam :hothead

#12 ·
Cal 2/29

Howzit,
Just checking back in to let you Cal 29 guys know that we joined the club.
We bought after a good test sail and a further inspection of the rigging as well as the cross beam. All looks to be in good condition for a 33 year old boat. Apparently , this boat had no shower and this owner stored canned goods in the "ice box" so no draiage to the keel. Needs to be hauled, and we're hoping that we won't find too many blisters. Had a great shakedown on a 40 mile run from Kane'ohe to Hale'iwa. So far ,so good. Keep you posted.
Leonard

#13 ·
Window leakage can be a problem. So can the seal between the mast and cabin top. I had teak Window frames made for mine with tinted plexi. The portlights may also leak and rain/washing water tends to collect in them. Other than that I have few complaints. My beam tabs are in good shape :)

#16 ·
topsides

Howzit SM,
That would be the blue areas. Looks like a light blue, but don't know the specific name. Our gel coat is worn and needs work. We're using an International Bright white, 2 part epoxy on the cabin and rails. Just wondered if the blue was a standard Cal color. We have a West Marine in Honolulu, just wanted to know what to look for. Z-spar had a nice Hawaiiian blue that I used years back but that's a darker color. Let me know if you come up with a name for the blue.
Mahalo,
Leonard

#18 ·
Pacific Blue...

Howzit Dieselboy,
Mahalo for the reply, all ready went with Bikini blue from Pettit(easypoxy). Looks awesome. Appreciate the help. Now, I'll be looking for Farymann diesel parts. Water pump for A30/ 12 hp. I've found some info on the net, but no local dealers. Still doing the research for now. I'm trying to get a picture to load, but can't do it. Try again later.
Happy New Year.
LR

#19 ·
Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a Cal2-29... Possibly found a seller but I'm not sure how to appraise these boats.

It's a basic 2-29, berthing isn't updated, main needs replacing, rolling furling jib, and most things need love. Sailed with them today and everything seems good. Owner has replaced rigging within the past 2 years.

Any guidance or help would be glorious! Thanks!

#20 ·
Howzit Baammers,
Our 2-29 is a GREAT boat for our coastal cruising on North Shore. Very solid, sturdy boat. I'd say buy if the price is right and you want to do the upgrade jobs. Can always find sails. Be sure to check the compression beam , as mentiontioned in this thread. Check the engine temps etc.There's a lot of items that need to be checked out. Safety gear, electrical etc. Good Luck.
cal30

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.