Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Tom Vs the town round one

It seems on my neighbors does not like my boat cover so they filed a complaint its a funny twon every thing is legal as long as nobody complains

And the town left a letter in my door to give them a call on Monday of face there wrath

After talking to my friend who works for the highway department and my son the Assistant district attorney it seems the temporary nature of the cover will make it hard for them to do much but i will find out more on Monday

And if they want to get nasty about it i have a second design with no legs that is 100% boat supported

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
It's a shame that people always seem to complain to the city instead of coming directly to the neighbor that they have a problem with.

Most likely they are bothered by the noise that the blue tarp makes in the wind.
Old 08-28-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Sounds like there has already been some misunderstandings?......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-28-2010

No misunderstands

At 29' its far from the biggest boat in the neighborhood that lives at home in the off season and completely legal were just getting into how it can be covered

The 35' Fly-bridge down the block dwarfs it when the frame and winter cover is on

In the worst case i just have to go back to winter style cover

legal cover

I lived here over 40 years and there is some transition from small working class neighborhood homes to tear-down and McMansion

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Last edited by tommays; 08-28-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Tom,
Sorry to hear of your woes with the Village of Northport (?) or is it the Town of Huntington (?).
Northport seems like it is a pretty boat friendly place.
Look for the nearest McMansion that has no boat in the yard and a coiffed lawn and garden done by crews of Latinos. They (the owners of the house - not the Latinos) are the likely source of the complaint as they paid somewhere near $1M to 'rebuild' the house on what they thought was a quiet street.
My guess is that they are pissed because they thought your boat would be gone for at least the summer but instead enjoyed the sounds of the Symphony of sanders grinding away at your hull. Perhaps your hull dust got on their burgers or steak too while they were bar-b-que-ing and you were working on your boat. One can only hope so.
In the meantime you have the advantage as your structure IS temporary as your family advised. The worst that could happen is that the police show up with another complaint while you are sanding your hull.
New neighbors do not understand the Old ways.
Hopefully the police will.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-29-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You typed the word legal. Sounds like eventually you will have Johnny Law on your side. Then again the rich in South Beach got together, and had the federal law changed to suit them. Unfortunately for them it was reversed......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-29-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Things that were originally intended to be temporary tend to become semi-permanent as the work schedule is delayed. Although it's neatly constructed, it doesn't appear to be cross-braced or structurally reinforced, and, now that storm season is here, maybe they're beginning to worry about the possibility that the timbers could become airborne in a storm. When I built a small storage barn on my property, the City required me to anchor it to the ground with steel cables.

I try to find a way to accomodate my neighbors and keep them happy, sometimes successfully and sometimes not. If you do, sometimes they'll give you some slack. If not, they'll make your life miserable with endless complaints. I don't know your work schedule, but, if you don't expect to get much more work done on it until next spring, now would be a good time to put on the winter cover. You'll gain some "points" with your neighbors, and with the town, which will see you as cooperative, and those points can be redeemed for a little restraint and good will next spring, when you're ready to get back to work.

Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, nothing good comes from going to battle with your neighbors. Eventually someone wins, but everyone loses.
Old 08-29-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, nothing good comes from going to battle with your neighbors. Eventually someone wins, but everyone loses.
Agreed.
Old 08-29-2010

Well

If whoever was unhappy would man up and complain face to face we could do that

The cover is going back to its winter configuration in 6 weeks and has only been like this about 6 weeks to allow the topsides to be painted

Unless it picks up the concrete driveway and boat its not moving as its already survived a lot more than the local trees

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 08-31-2010

Well

I spoke to the inspector today and at least he claims it was flagged by a public safety office and not a neighbor

He is going to work with me to allow it to stay up another 30 days which if the weather stays decent will allow me to finish

If not i was taking it down in October anyway as the winds start to get nasty

As i would have to prove it will withstand 114 MPH winds i think a permit would not happen

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY