Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
couple of things:

looking forward to a long weekend on the water, the plans are to push away from the dock later afternoon and Friday and return someday late Monday afternoon.

1. when leaving the dock, whats the best way to 'unhook' the power cord:
a. unplug from the boat and coil on dock
b. unplug first from the shore power, then boat, then coil
c. any other way?

2. we have a 1967 Cal 30, any problem with using some dryice on the bottom of the icebox, covering with real ice, would the real ice be ok to use in drinks, etc? how much dryice would be good to use

3. whats the best way to utilize a 2 battery system:
a. leave dock fully charged on 2 batts then switch to one for anchor time?
b. stay on 2 the whole time?

I'm quite sure I'm not supposed to switch batts while the motor is running, correct?

Any thoughts and all would be nice here, as you can see I'm a newby .

thanks and fairwinds to all

Bobby Centers
s/v TRUE NORTH
Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Assuming which is allways a bad thing

Two group 27 batterys its NOT a whole lot of stored power depending on how much stuff your running

I would allways use one battery at time BUT it will take most Alternators a LOT of motor running time to recharge each battery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2010

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC725 View Post
looking forward to a long weekend on the water, the plans are to push away from the dock later afternoon and Friday and return someday late Monday afternoon.

1. when leaving the dock, whats the best way to 'unhook' the power cord:
a. unplug from the boat and coil on dock
b. unplug first from the shore power, then boat, then coil
c. any other way?

2. we have a 1967 Cal 30, any problem with using some dryice on the bottom of the icebox, covering with real ice, would the real ice be ok to use in drinks, etc? how much dryice would be good to use

3. whats the best way to utilize a 2 battery system:
a. leave dock fully charged on 2 batts then switch to one for anchor time?
b. stay on 2 the whole time?

I'm quite sure I'm not supposed to switch batts while the motor is running, correct?

Any thoughts and all would be nice here, as you can see I'm a newby .

thanks and fairwinds to all

Bobby Centers
s/v TRUE NORTH
Georgia
I always unplug from the shore power first in case the cord happens to fall in the water.

I put a couple blocks of regular ice in the bottom of my ice box and then a bag of crushed ice on top for drinks and it will last for a long weekend. You will probably have to go ashore for more crushed ice though assuming you drink much.

My house battery is number 2 and I only switch to number one for starting. When the motor is running I switch to all to charge both. When the motor is off I switch to 2 to run the electronics of the boat.

You don't want to swtch to off but you can switch between 1,all and 2. Thats the way I have always done and haven't had any problems.
Old 09-02-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
If you freeze water in several plastic bottles, and put those in your ice chest instead of ice cubs or blocks, you'll have nice chilled drinking water as they melt. Also, there won't be so much water in the bilge and/or bottom of the ice chest. Putting dry ice in the bottom of the chest shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 09-09-2010
Custom Member

Stiche is on a distinguished road
1- For a short (few hours) day sail, I unplug from the dock and coil on the boat, while still plugged in to the boat's receptacle, for convenience. For a longer trip, I unplug both and stow on the boat, to keep things neat and nautical. Reason: never leave home without your shore power cables. Never ASSUME you'll be returning to your home port.
Also...as a rule of thumb, the FIRST thing I do, when I approach my boat for a sail, is unplug from shore power, especially if you have screw-on rings on your plugs. Disconnecting from shore power is easy to forget, especially if you're itching to get out and enjoy the weather and waves. I almost ripped off my boat's shore power receptacle once (thanks to my very quick hands covering for my very slow brain) when I motored out of my slip with shore power still connected! Had to re-dock and fish half of it out of the water (still (barely) plugged in to the dock). Laugh if you want, but it happens to the best of us. Unless your on your boat for a few hours before leaving dock, with everything on, your gen/alt will top off any battery loss when you motor out.

2- Dry Ice is just carbon dioxide (CO2) in solid form. At normal pressure, CO2 transitions straight from solid to gas form. CO2 will do nothing to your perishables/drinks. The only thing to be aware of is that the CO2 will further lower the temperature of your ice (water freezes at 32F, CO2 at -109F. If you set anything you want frozen near the dry ice or too deep in your wet ice, you're not going to be happy when you thaw it!

3- Two 27s sounds like two house batteries. Always leave the dock topped off. I assume you're running 12V house power, not 24V? If 12V, always run on 1 battery. If one of your batteries is/goes bad, it will drain the other one (Think of two jugs of water. drill a hole in the bottom of one and that one drains; if you drill holes in the sides of each jug and connect them with a tube, they will both stay at the same water level, as you drink from them. If you now drill a hole in the bottom of that one jug, it will drain both jugs, because they are trying to stay equally filled). IMO, the only time to switch to "both" on a 12V system is if neither battery has enough juice to start the engine. At anchor, always keep a reserve battery that is not on a circuit. **** happens, and you always want to know you have a fresh topped battery to start your engine. I have a Cal 25 with a single 27, but I carry a jump starter (like the ones for cars) on board just in case. (My 9.9 has a pull start too, but I avoid it...come to think of it, I've never even pulled it once).
As far as switching while running, just don't pass through "OFF" to get from "1" to "2", doing so will kill the engine and your electronics will all reset (and you will lose all of your AM/FM radio presets and anything else that doesn't have battery backup). If you need to switch from "1" to "2", always go through "BOTH". Finally...if you have a dual bank battery charger on board, just make sure you've wired it to both batteries, so they stay conditioned while you are docked and connected to shore power- again, stay on only one battery in the switch so that a short or battery failure at port doesn't kill both batteries.

-Mike
"Sattar" Cal 25, #256
Old 09-09-2010

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
FYI: The machines that make dry ice are very often internally lubricated with some kind of oil, which winds up getting incorporated with the product. It's generally recommended that you don't put dry ice directly into something you're planning to consume.

So, dry ice on the bottom of the icebox, with a bunch of ice sloshing around is generally okay for keeping stuff cold, but I wouldn't recommend using the (water) ice for mixing your martinis. Could be some nasty crud in there.
Old 09-10-2010
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up thanks to all for the replys

filled the ice box up, placed the food on top, left the dock about 4 pm Friday, returned after lunch on Monday, had enough ice for another day or too --easy - and this with high 80s and low 90s

just used cube ice from the clubhouse, wanted just to experiment without the dryice or frozen jugs -- both great ideas and will be used this fall for a week long trip

will plug/unplug the safe way from now on, and will now NOT be afraid to switch from 1 bat to both while running

again, thanks for the info -- we had a fantastic weekend, winds 10-12 every day, 5-10 at night, the night sailing was wonderful, the whole weekend gets an A+

fairwinds

bob centers
67' Cal 30
Georgia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.