SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 29 - Two freshwater tanks?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dieselboy 
#1 ·
Just starting to poke around a new Cal 29 I have got...

After tracing pipes around, I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 freshwater tanks...

One is under the forward V berth
The other is on the port side quarter berth

Is this intended? Just to increase storage?

I don't do extended trips, so I wondered if I could pull one out?

#2 ·
Sounds like something installed by a previous owner, as small Cal boats usually only have one tank under the v-berth. Usually only big cruising boats come with multiple FW tanks. You can always yank one of the tanks out and re-plumb the FW system accordingly.

#4 ·
It could be that a PO intended to use one tank (most likely the forward tank) for flushing the toilet with FW, and the other for drinking water. However, if that is the case, it's a bit odd that the aft tank is on the port side, since the galley should be on the starboard side. Look carefully and see if there is any evidence of that the forward tank was ever hooked up to the inlet side of the toilet. If so, I would chlorinate the bejeezus out of it and the rest of the FW system before I used it for drinking water.

#6 ·
Sounds good. I usually put a cap-full of bleach into the thank when I fill it, and use that water mainly for hand and dish washing. For drinking/cooking, I keep a couple of 2.5 gal carboys of spring water (the squarish ones with a spout at the bottom), and a case of San Pellegrino mineral water. Well, there's also a bottle of Bushmills, just in case we come across any sea snakes (you never know ;) ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.