Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
I agree with JiffyLube.

I would be more worried that the frame would give out first, not the pane itself.

Years and years ago I heard that many "professional" fisherman had screen frames (tight of course) put over windows will save them. Apparently even solid water when hitting gets "aired" and pressures on the windows are even and lessened. Something to do with the introduced/trapped air's compressibility.

Never seen any tests though.

Anybody ever hear about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012

edwmama is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Bullet proof storm windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy View Post
While i am not a world sailor but i can tell you a few things about polly carb and plexy, lexan etc..

Lexan is the best choice out of all of them but it is flexible which make it bullet proof has the best uv and scratch resistance and does not crack easy like all the others that WILL shatter.

Would i mount it in my boat? nope.. My track cars? yes..

A pain of double laminated glass will hold far more stress,pressure,and impact than comparable Lexan. On A large impact, the lamination will hold the glass together and still remain mostly water tight "as long as the fiberglass around it also could take the pressure". IE The front windshield of every passenger car is built the same.
You can get them in a tint,green for uv only and will not scratch expand,contract with heat. You can see through them after a year of sun and fun. They are cheaper and can be redone anywhere on the planet as long as you still have the frame.

Even the best polly carb leak due to expansion,and heat. After time the plastic will contract and cause a leak sooner or later. And as with any modification to any thing... it will only be as good as the mounting you use to hold it on.
Through bolting seems the be the most used but the polly will expand and contract so you must notch for such,in doing so you make weak spots all over the place. Which is where cheaper polly windows always fail. Small cracks form and soon a large crack will run out.

Polly carbs must be cleaned with soft water " not salt water" and a VERY soft towel or they scratch terribly.

Its your boat and this is just my experience.

Here are pics of 40 year old glass out of my boat and new triple laminated glass that went in to replace all 4... Cost $ 240 us for all 4..
One good Lexan window in 3/8" will cost you damn near that.

When i carried my new windows down to my boat one fell and bounced down a flight of concrete steps "5 to 6' " while smashed over and over i picked it up and took it back to the glass shop and used it as a template for another one. it was still together and in the same shape/size although busted to hell.

Good luck on your boat.

hello quote

i am not looking to replace my existing windows on my pilot house
I simply would like to custom make similar shaped windows that would be
attached about one inch just over the existing pilothouse windows.
these overlapping windows would be held by screws and a spacer
so leakage or expansion or contraction is not an issue

these would just be extra reinforcing storm cover over the existing windows to block
or resists the initial blow from a wave. they would be removable if
desired and can be reattached at anytime.

so with this in mind would the LEXAN MR10 with margard 11 still be a
better choice over a plexiglass?

edwin
Lahlia
Cal Cruising 46
Marina del Rey, CA
Old 09-07-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bullet proof storm windows

I read an account long long ago where an old salt was asked how he had never had his windows stove in while similar boats in the same seas had theirs smashed in.

His solution that he had been using for many years was simply outside screen frames screwed in for storms. It was a thick screen in robust frames.

The "scientific" explanation by others that investigated and tested it (yea, someone did that for this article) explained that it is the air trapped and mixed with the water that hit the windows allowed a compression/absorption of the energy.

Any hoo, that is what they said back then.

I have no idea where I read/saw it.
Old 09-08-2012

Wink Re: Bullet proof storm windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
I read an account long long ago where an old salt was asked how he had never had his windows stove in while similar boats in the same seas had theirs smashed in.

His solution that he had been using for many years was simply outside screen frames screwed in for storms. It was a thick screen in robust frames.

The "scientific" explanation by others that investigated and tested it (yea, someone did that for this article) explained that it is the air trapped and mixed with the water that hit the windows allowed a compression/absorption of the energy.

Any hoo, that is what they said back then.

I have no idea where I read/saw it.

Yes thanks

The one inch of air space between my pilothouse window and my storm
Poly carbonate windows will help disperse this energy and prevent window blowout

Thanks
Edwin
Lahlia
Cal Cruising 46
Marina del Rey CA
Old 09-26-2012

SayGudday is on a distinguished road
Re: Bullet proof storm windows

I replaced the old windows in my Triton because there was some spidering in one or two corners but the rest were perfect. I took the old windows and put them on the inside and put the new ones on the outside making them double paned. Been that way for over a year and get very little condensation, visibility remains good.
Old 05-06-2013

Smile Re: Bullet proof storm windows

Thank you all ( OCEANSCAP, diesel boy Sandusky sailor, jiffy lube) for your reply
I will consider all of your recommendations

Edwin
cal Cruising 46
Marina del Rey CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.