Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010

jstevens is on a distinguished road
Cal 33-2 Tender?

We're looking at a 1986 Cal 33-2 with shoal draft keel, but as relatively inexperienced sailors want to avoid a boat that is excessively "tender." Can anyone tell us how the Cal 33-2 performs in winds of 15+ knots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet!
Not, that I know anything about Cals, but all boats will seem tender to those new to sailing. It took me 2 years myself to get used to my boat heeling! As you learn a little more about sailing you'll understand how to keep the boat "on her feet" by making adjustments in sail size, shape and deployment. It seems the Pearson 33-2 is the same boat.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Any short keel will seem more tender than the same boat with a deep keel. It is the physics. If you should only be considering a short keel if you MUST have the shallow draft, and in that case, you just have the accept the tender behavior, after all, it isn't as if you have a choice.
Old 11-05-2010
Couch Explorer

Melantho is on a distinguished road
I crew now and again on a Cal 33-2 (deep keel) that races. This design has a fairly tall mast and lots of sail area. If you're racing with max genoas (150%), it can be tender. My recommendation for cruising is to scale back a bit. The boat will still perform just fine with a 135% or smaller jib. Then reef early and often. This boat is not like a Cape Dory which is so under-rigged that you can carry full sail at 20 kn.
Old 11-05-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
The CAL 33-2 is a nice boat. I looked at, and sailed a few of them. They should be fine in 15 kts, but you will soon be thinking about reefing. Someone already pointed out that the physics dictate that, all other things equal, a shoal draft boat will heel more than a deep fin keel.

With all due respect to Denise, it is NOT the same as a Pearson 33-2. The interior layout is very different (ex. Galley to Port on the CAL, Starboard on the Pearson, Head to aft on the Pearson, no aft cabin on the CAL), the drafts are different, the keel options are different...

Here, I'll show you;
CAL 33-2

Pearson 33-2

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-16-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
With all due respect to Denise, it is NOT the same as a Pearson 33-2.
I believe the Pearson is a Shaw design and the Cal is a Hunt.
Their designs do use similar, and very practical, hull forms.
Old 11-05-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
wow. I only said it "seems" to be the same boat!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2010

ashmun is on a distinguished road
The Cal 33-2 has a sail area/displacement ratio of I believe 18.08, so consider using a working jib (i.e. something under 100%) to start. Putting one reefing the main is okay but might be challenging if you do not have a reefing system or not used to reefing. I’m assuming you don’t have a furling system. I’ve owned two Cals (2-30 and T/4 designed by Lapworth) and found them both to be a lot of fun. I single handed by T/4 (24’) for twenty years before moving up to the 30’ which I owned for 7 years before deciding to move up to a 38’.
Old 07-22-2012

Mark S. is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 33-2 Tender?

As per the Cal mystique, their inherent quality speaks for the boat's quality of workmanship & sturdiness. They cross oceans regularly (properly equipped, of course); Seasters, the 1979 31' I have (31'6" LOA) recently performed quite well in 20+ knots while we dodged thunderstorms (some in San Diego and others towards L.A.) with only a light sprinkling along the latter part of a 7 hours sail on the way back from Catalina. When the wind started exceeding 15 knots, simply reduce the main (and I completely furled the 100% jib) for about the last 1 hour for a much more relaxing sail on a run back to Dana Point harbor in great control. Sure, a lighter boat with almost 500 sq. ft. of sail will be both tender and more responsive, leans more but slices through the waves as compared to more of a pounding feel with a stiffer/flatter sailboat. Tried a boom preventer using the boom vang for the first time leaving Avalon on the port side. Set it back in the middle later (carefully not dropping any parts I didn't have in certainty the back up part for). Had a bit of drama resulting from the boom vang line not being cleated resulting in an auto gybe (luckily in light weather, and a lesson Well Learned). These boats can handle like a champ and are easily pointed (meaning a well-balanced sailboat I've been told by my neighbor, a top racer) within a small degree without the use of auto pilot or locking/hold down screw.

A good surveyor, of course find one of the best, reputable person you can find, and he or she can tell you if the boat you are looking at is good or not. It is pretty straightforward, and try to get one that never had (or will get, I'm told) hull blistering from the osmotic scientific stuff. My neighbor's hull looks like a golf ball and mine has 1 (from the mfg/mold process at the keel separation).

I'm just another person who now (just this year got one) knows, so the rest is just what you like, really; other brands out there, both old & new, I'm sure I'd like to score next, like Shannon or Pac Seacraft. Benneteau's are less pricey but I've read somewhat are heavier duty than some other modern boats I've heard. Have fun!
Old 10-16-2012

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 33-2 Tender?

33-2 SD here. Just finished long uphill slug in 25 knots. 100 and single reef main, boat did well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.