Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010

hp18carr is on a distinguished road
Would a Cal 21 make a good playmate?

I'm at that point in life where as an older dog (50 something) I'm learning a new trick... sailing. Being the logical man that I am the cart always comes before the horse. Now as a member of the Chrysler sailboat forum I'm restoring a 1980 c26. The writing is on the wall that this project will take longer than I had anticipated... not that this is a bad thing, but it's keeping me out of the water. It's not carved in stone just yet but I'm conversing with a gentleman concerning his Cal 21. I need something to play around with to learn the ropes so to speak while I work on my c26. If we come to an agreement I'll be back with questions and photos.

Last edited by hp18carr; 12-14-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: play mate
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2010
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
sounds like a plan to me

I've actually sailed on one. A guy at our club had one this summer and has since moved. It was fun to sail and he even won a race during the summer series if I recall so it's certainly not a slow boat.

My theory is you do whatever it takes to get you out on the water....I say go for it.

Just my 2 cents....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Old 12-14-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Would a Cal 21 make a good playmate?
Yes.
Although not the easiest to move about on, the answer is a definite yes. They are great little sailors.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-15-2010

Would a Cal 21 make a good playmate

Thanks for the words of encouragment; the haggling is moving in a positive direction, will know if I'm a new owner of a Cal 21 in a day or two.
Old 12-20-2010

rippy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up My 2 cents

Not sure what kind of a deal you are getting or where you live or why you are just getting into sailing at 50+, but I was just given a 1971 Cal21(haven't sailed it yet) and have been doing some research. The Cal21 is a "tender" boat is something that I read. It has a big sail plan for a light displacement. My observations of the boat and it's specs bears this out. It will be fast and require good sailing sensitivities. You may have those. I have spent a lot of time on a 13 ton cruiser that was not in any stretch of the imagination "tender" I have been sailing a Hobie 16 for the past 4 years. It is tender in not too much breeze. I am a new part owner of a Com-Pac23 which is a great boat on which to teach yourself how to sail. But i am looking forward to getting out on the Cal, and giving her the reins in the Spring.
Old 12-20-2010

Would a cal 21 make a good playmate

Rippy

I guess I fall under the better late than never category, I too have research this boat and heard the tender aspect of its performance. Being 50+ I'm to stubborn to let it go, but it maybe a mute point anyway... negotiations have hit a rut. You are not the only one person I've heard of getting a Cal 21 for free so to speak. I'm located in Wilmington N.C. So if any one out there is so inclined... I'm old enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 01-29-2011
Macgregor 26 M Captain wo

falconxp is on a distinguished road
would tend towards a retractable keel since they are easier to get in and out of the water and are relatively stable Have Mark 21 in blanding Utah - value $1750.00.
Trade for larger boat or sculling boat. any boat for less than half market value will require work. Mile is sail away for 2/3 market value
Old 01-30-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
communications

Hey hp18carr, Just got notice that yesterday someone replied to your post and thought I would touch base. Tried to send you a private message, but I don't yet qualify to do so and you don't accept emails. So in case you are notified about recent activity and interested to communicate with me send me an email and I'll get back to you. Best, rippy
Old 01-30-2011
Macgregor 26 M Captain wo

falconxp is on a distinguished road
21 ft trailer boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippy View Post
Hey hp18carr, Just got notice that yesterday someone replied to your post and thought I would touch base. Tried to send you a private message, but I don't yet qualify to do so and you don't accept emails. So in case you are notified about recent activity and interested to communicate with me send me an email and I'll get back to you. Best, rippy
not sure how to set up for e mail
Have been sailing for 60 years and with the exception of Hobie and racing shells tenderness is no longer an issue.
stay awake and keep the crew on the high side.
PS readinng a book while shooting the rapids is also a wet proposition.
jorgensonfawn@yahoo.com
Old 01-31-2011
1974' Cal 21

bonito is on a distinguished road
Talking

I bought one (Cal 21 1974), little bit over one year, and we love it!
Its a fast easy boat. Sails with about no wind and tacks nice. Only drawback is, there is no room on the inside to do anything but take a nap. Other than that is is an awesome boat if you like sailing in super light to strong wind conditions........

Few pics of an ongoing project:

MobileMe Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bonito; 01-31-2011 at 06:24 PM.