Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011

sailnova is on a distinguished road
Here is a photo from the V berth looking aft during the first steps of ply-removal and sanding. You can see the position of the wooden block around the pivot pin that was surface attached by a previous owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Keel-cabin-cal-21.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011
1974' Cal 21

bonito is on a distinguished road
Dear sailnova,
There is no box around the keel pivot on my boat. I do get water in but it is via the hole in the cockpit. It is just a bit enough to be annoying. I don't have the wooden piece around the pivot either. You may have some cracks in that box. If you can raise the boat on the trailer. Drop the keel and inspect the inside of the housing. I sailed mine in 20 knots water almost coming in over the side. But no water inside. Oh, be sure never to drob the keel in the water the housing is not designed to withstand that impact. I will replace my worm driven winch with a strap winch like to put in on the trailer. Change the strap for synthetic rope. No hard cables. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
Hey Bonito, Nice job with the pics! But I think I need a few words to assist in my quest...IMG_4902.JPG is a pic of the keel in the trunk. Exactly what I needed. But I can't quite make out what the hardware is. It looks like there is a triangular piece of steel coming off the bottom of the keel(to the left). I have a feeling that is the keel hook that no longer is on my boat. Can you tell if it is original, or something added by someone? It looks like a lot of turbulence that would be hanging down when the keel is extended.
Also there is some kind of metal bracket forward of the triangle. What on earth is that for? Hate to be a bother, but would like to launch my Cal pretty soon, and I will probably do it with the bolt attached cable the first time, but I would like to restore the boat to original design. Thanks for your pics and thanks for any words you might offer.
One last comment, I think I have located where a pin would be located to lock the keel down while sailing but it looks like there is a permanent structure in there now. I can't imagine how it could be pulled out and reinserted. I wish one of the knowledgeable builders of these boats would come forward and offer drawings of Cal21 details.
Old 05-02-2011

Keel trunk repairs

I wanted to post a quick update on my repairs...Here is a before and after picture of the keel, starboard side. We had to remove a lot of second attempt fiberglass from around the trunk. The plan from here is to add a few layers of fiberglass and build a perpendicular support for the trunk. In the processes we have also gutted the interior and sanded down the inside...learning as we go, more updates to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Keel-before.jpg   Cal 21 Keel-keel-trunk.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011

You are going to town sailnova. I suspect that the lower hole is the pivot bolt and the upper hole is where the locking pin should exist. Does that jive with your work? Thanks, Rippy
Old 05-03-2011

Rippy, you are correct in the placement of the pivot and locking pin. Here is a photo of the keel before we cleaned it up. The locking hole is on the left and the pivot hole is on the right. I have had the boat for less than a year and was never able to lock the keel into place. It might take a little bit of math and a few prayers when it comes to drilling a new hole for the locking pin...I will keep updating the forum as we make progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Keel-keel.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011

Interesting, Maybe there is no real need to pin the keel down. Perhaps folks have been sailing it that way for years. Bonito has pics of sailing his boat. I wonder if he uses the locking pin? Rod Johnson or his dad could give us good info. Or that fellow who owns the Packers. The way info is spread out in different forums makes it difficult. I can never remember where I saw different things.
Old 05-16-2011

Rippy, if you take a look at the specs you will see that the keel sits at an angle so if you don't lock it into place the position of the keel will be in a less than ideal location. From the discussions that I have read, it seems critical to not allow the keel to swing too far forward due to potential damage to the hull.
Old 05-16-2011

I thought the keel pin was to keep it from moving toward the stern while underway, not to keep it from rotating forward or upward. I did read about not letting it just swing down uncontrolled for fear of it coming up through the trunk. That would not be cool! Rod Johnson has informed me that the keel will move slightly fore and aft if you don't secure it somehow once lowered. And that will cause wear on everything. So best to put the pin in or find some other way to secure it. Perhaps a keelplug that fits snug up against the back of the keel.
Old 07-01-2011

I thought I would make a quick post regarding progress, or lack there of...hoping to try to get the keel back in this weekend. Still a little hazy how we are going to do it. This is a photo of the keel trunk progress. We added several layers of fiberglass after sanding through the mess that was on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Keel-img_20110531_193846.jpg