Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
Yes yes, tender for sure. I watched a lot of Bonita's videos with little kids and all out there in socal and seemed very peaceful. Guess that's the Pacific. Let's see, how the heel felt? About 75 degrees! I was standing on the side of the cockpit seat In the mean time I have discovered that the main can be reefed on the roller boom - very cool. Will try tomorrow with 20 mph winds forecast. Regarding the keel pin...my pin hole is totally covered up so have no idea what's going on in there. I went over the side the other day and it looks like the keel is fully down. Need to check some more. She is such a sweet little boat I want to make her shipshape. My daughter arrives from Anchorage tomorrow and we will put her through her paces. Daughter teaches sailing up there. Will see if she comes back up without luffing I have play in the pintle/cudgeon area that I will have to fix, but haven't noticed any heavy helm pressure so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2011

mistacolin is on a distinguished road
Ha, mine felt like 75 degrees too. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 08-03-2011

sailnova is on a distinguished road
She's in the water! ...but yet to sail. We took an educated guess on the locking pin location and well, we came up a little short or better yet long. I jumped in the water last night and was able to adjust the keel so that the lead is horizontal. We can see the locking pin hole by shining a flashlight through the trunk when it is dark in the cabin. I will head out tonight to drill a hole. Also, there is still tension on the winch line so the keel is not fully extended.
Old 08-03-2011

In the water is where a boat belongs. Congrats! Interesting about that lock pin hole. After I suggested where it might be I was looking at your pics again and thought that I saw your drill just finishing the job on the trunk. Guess not.
I have to believe that either 1. your wire is too short(that would be easy). 2. Something is jammed up in the trunk(no big deal). Or you have the pivot bolt in the wrong spot(Yuk!)
Didn't get out much when daughter was here, but last night went out with 20+ gusts and learned a bit more. I had the smaller of my two foresails on, but still too much. When I dropped it, not easy in those conditions when solo, the main did just fine. Must confess that I forgot about the roller boom or i might have tried it. I wonder how you lock it in once rolled
Have decided that I need roller furling/reefing for the jib, or at least run the halyards back to the cockpit and put a downhaul on the jib.
Old 08-03-2011

Rippy - regarding the keel not fully extended, this is pretty typical from the post I have read on locking the keel in place. The trunk allows the keel to pivot further than it needs to be whether it was designed that way or not I don't know. I speculate that it was otherwise if the keel winch let go and the keel dropped uncontrollably there would probably be a giant whole in the hull. I know dropping the keel like that can still cause damage...I'll try to post pics again soon! Sounds like you don't have any trouble finding the wind!
Old 08-03-2011

Feast or famine here on the Hudson. I don't mind sailing in big steady winds, but gusts are another thing and as I am 100 miles north of NYC just east of the Catskills we get gusts. Aha, I see what you are saying - the keel is not supposed to fully extend into the trunk. Instead the pin should lock it a bit below that point. So much to learn, so little info available. Good there are more than one of us out there!
Old 08-06-2011

Well, I did a quick test sail this morning. The keel is locked in place...I went with a piece of brass based on a thread I read somewhere. I am interested to know what the original locking pin diameter is. Anyone know? In the picture there is a large nylon gasket around the locking pin. I think I am going to try and find a larger diameter pin for the long term.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Keel-keel-trunk.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011

Nice pic. All looks shipshape down there. Well done. I can't help with size of original locking pin, but the one you put in there looks a bit tiny.
Old 08-08-2011

It is 3/16in so it is a bit small. In the keel re-build process we ended up putting some filler that was then drilled out over the locking hole...From a thread on the cal 21 site I read someone using a 1/4in brass. Apparently the original is 1/2in. It's easier to make the hole in the trunk bigger rather than smaller which we plan on doing. Rippy, is the pin you have 1/2in?
Old 08-08-2011

Yo sailnova, I have no idea about the size of the locking pin on my boat. In fact I doubt if I have one. The keel trunk is all covered over and solid where the pin should be. When I launched the boat I just lowered the keel til it stopped moving. I think it is fully down which would indicate that there is no pin and that a prior owner must have just decided to glass in the opening where the pin access was. Pretty bad I guess, maybe I'll put it right this fall. She sails pretty well even with a permanently attached wire down to the back of the keel. Maybe next year? I have another little cruiser and a Hobie that I sail.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.