Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011

mistacolin is on a distinguished road
I have the pin set up still installed on mine. Next time I'm down there I'll try and get a picture of the setup and measurements of the pin.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
sailnova, looking again at the last pic you posted I see that there is a wooden board alongside the trunk which must support the compression post. My boat has a substantial wooden platform on top of the trunk which the post sits on which allows the entire top of the trunk to support the post. Just for your general info!
Old 08-18-2011

sailnova is on a distinguished road
We've been out a couple of times in light wind and the boat is performing well. The locking pin is holding for now. The previous set up had a couple of metal plates to put the pin through...We will probably take a closer look at our options when time allows.
Old 09-22-2011

I thought I would post a quick update on the boat renovations. She's been in the water now for several months. I'm happy to say that a few drips might make it through the pivot pin area but it stays pretty dry even under decent win gusts. It is obvious that we are going to have to provide some support perpendicular to the trunk as you can see it flex! I will probably pull her in a few weeks and get back on the rebuild of the interior.
Old 10-24-2011

AuxSailor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help needed with lifting a Cal 21 Keel!

We have a fellow in our marina who just underwent heart surgery... We are trying to help him pull his boat for the winter. We are looking for a picture or very accurate description of where we need to attach the lifting cable from the winch. We have the Y rod, "fished around" for quite some time... no luck. Can we just remove the lock down pivot bolt and (gingerlyl) pull her onto her trailer?

ANY help would be MOST appreciated!

Clueless in Pennsylvania!
Old 10-24-2011

Do you have a wetsuit or even just a mask and snorkel? You can drop the winch down and just swim down and attach it. This is the simplest and cheapest option.

Check out this post too - Hi, we too got a new/used Cal 21
Old 10-24-2011

AuxSailor is on a distinguished road
Sailnova, thanks for the immediate reply... Any pictures of what we are trying to snag? Your mooring hook answer suggests that there might be ring of some sort. (we found another style of mooring hook that works very well--I'll post a link as soon as I get back up to my boat to get details.) In the meantime, no wetsuit and the water is very cold here now... We'll dive if we have to, but brrrrr! It is great to see any boat this well loved. I've not sailed a Cal 21, but looking forward to doing so.
Old 10-25-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
My Cal21 has a notch about 3" up from the tip of the keel that the cable loop hooks in...you need to be positive that the cable is hooked right...if the cable slips off the keel and the keel swings out of control...well...that may be the end of that boat...lots of the keels have custom cable hooks...and at 40ish years old, there is no telling what's been done.
Old 10-25-2011

A couple of other things to note - once you hook the line onto the back of the keel make sure you remove the locking pin before cranking it up. There is also potential that the keel plug is in place. Check out this website for more details - Keel Plug page
Old 10-25-2011

Photos

You might be able to see it if the water is clear enough. In the photo there is a shackle that my winch connects with to raise and lower. I have never tried to remove the winch line because diving in seems like the easiest way to reattach. Good luck and if you need more info I'll try to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Keel-keel-shackle.jpg