Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
Rippy, I was kinda wondering when my Cal would stop heeling...I started a thread to that effect...
I had her way over, 45+ degrees, and a puff took father than I was comfortable so I dumped the main and let the jib sheet fly.
When your back is on the gunale and you're standing on the riser of the leeward seat it's kinda scary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
My experience exactly. Too much sail? Not enough ballast? I'm too old and chicken for the boat? Not sure...
Old 10-06-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
When your back is on the gunale and you're standing on the riser of the leeward seat it's kinda scary.
did you forget to add, "With water up to your knees."

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-08-2011

Haha, no water in the cockpit for me...yet...been close but no waves here on the lake and I chicken out pretty quick when the "lev-o-meter" ball rolls down near the 45...feels more like 85.
From what I've read on here, about 20 degrees is the magic number for speed anyway.
Old 11-15-2011

Dirtbag spammers.

I took my 21 out last week...not a lick of wind on the lake. I found that I could create lift with my light 160 and main just by pushing along on my 44lb electric. It was cool to watch them puff out even without wind. And it seemed to suck the 21 along as fast in "3" as it would go in "5" with no sail up.

We are supposed to get wind up to 50mph tommorrow. I think I will go see how she does with a reef in.
Old 12-20-2011

dtwitty is on a distinguished road
surfing

I have seen reference to surfing this boat. What does that mean?
Old 12-20-2011

Running downwind with a bunch of sail up, you can get going fast enough to plane on the water, surfing the swells. I'm too chickenshit to try it yet myself. Maybe after I get more comfortable with her. Makai is my first keel boat.
Old 12-22-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, On my way to SW Australia for the winter. My 21 has been on the trailer since Irene. But my son who lives in Albany Australia bought what I think must be a knock off of the Cal21. Called Swarbrick22. I am on my way over for our winter and their summer to help him get used to her. Can't remember just now but don't think the keel is retractable. I think if you had the gonads to raise the keel in the Cal21 going down wind you wouldn't need a swell to surf!
Old 02-01-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Another (former) CAL 21 owner

Well, glad to see that Richard Fuller's web site (www.cal21.com) is still used by some. Sorry if anyone had trouble getting info from him, we shared a lot of info back and forth when we were both CAL 21 owners, many of the pics on his web site are of NODROG ,my old boat. It was also fun to see that I guess that I helped at least one other CAL 21 owner, THANKS!

Anyway, if I can answer any CAL 21 questions (based on 38 years of sailing/owning one), fire away!

PS: That's my Dad sailing NODROG..... I took the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-06-29-03_edit.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-2241890034.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-ek_2_6a.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-nodrog_interior.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-keel-well-cover.jpg  

othomas3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Old 04-13-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

Ralph, we were primarily on an A-Frame cradle for storage (originally we used the supports from the shipping cradle bolted to an A-frame), I do have a picture of NODROG on stands...but that was temporary (about 2-3 days) one year when we had a problem with the keel (pivot bolt hole had rusted out). The yard didn't quite position the stands correct, looking at those pics. It was a bit unnerving boarding the boat when she was that high (I was so used to her sitting low to the ground!). I would think that as long as you have the centerline of the boat supported on blocks (positioned close as possible fore and aft of keel slot) and the stands are positioned to support the hull at bulkhead locations (basically aft stands would be located with pad roughly centered on a line crossing the boat at aft end of keel slot. Forward stands line up outboard of forward end of keel slot) Even for low stands, I'd chain them together across boat to prevent them from kicking out.

I can't answer your "private message".....still need to get my post count up, but I might have more info. However, hopefully my advice might help others anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippy
Rod, I just bought 4 jack stands so I could lift my Cal off the trailer and drop the keel. But now I am nervous about placement of the stands. Somebody suggested that the hull couldn't withstand the pressure of 4 one foot square supports. But I see in your recent post that your boat was probably on stands. Any suggestions/info/pics appreciated. Thanks ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-2241890035.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-spring-1991.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-nodrog_haulout-00_keel-down.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-nodrog_keel.jpg  
othomas3 and jacjdawley like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon