Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

OH, and Rippy, you mentioned the surfing ability of the 21...... believe me, even with the keel locked down...given the right wind and sea conditions (in otherwords...typical Buzzards Bay afternoon!) the 21 will take off and surf on a broad reach or run very well! Not as much of an "afterburner" effect as on my O'DAY Day Sailer II...... but still a thrill!
Still, I felt like she was performing like a true CAL yacht! Maybe not quite as exciting as the CAL 40 below..... but.....
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-consertpfinishcroppedbright.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2012

rippy is on a distinguished road

Terrific Rod! Thanks a bunch. Narrative and pics extremely helpful. Can see what you mean by a bit high off the ground. Do want to examine the keel bolt, pin and keel though.
Old 04-13-2012

That Cal40 is smokin!
Old 04-16-2012

sailnova is on a distinguished road

We found a way to get to the keel...not conventional so to say, but it worked and we never had to take the boat completely off the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-img_20110704_082903small.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-p1050324small.jpg  
othomas3 likes this.
Old 04-16-2012

Hmmm. Not sure the pictures tell the story. But you have given me an idea, how about healing her about 75 degrees on the trailer? Nope, I bought some jacks and gonna pull the trailer out from under her. I hope w/o damage.
Old 04-16-2012

The 2nd picture is when we removed the keel. We tried to block the keel up under the trailer as best we could (its heavy). We knocked out the pin, lifted the stern off the trailer and the keel "dropped" onto the ground (again we did block it up to try and protect as much as possible). A small bit of the edge broke off in the process but nothing detrimental. We had planned on filler and faring the keel anyhow.

When we put it back in, we blocked up the stern off the trailer then lifted the bow and scooted the trailer out from under the boat. We dropped the keel onto a piece of ply and pushed it under the boat. I used the winch to hoist the keel from the back and then we kept blocking it up until it was back in place...this required a bit more strength to get in up high enough to get the pivot bolt in place.

It helps to have a neighbor with a backhoe too.
Old 04-16-2012

Right on man! A backhoe is a worthy assistant. Did you find any damage to the pivot point or the pivot? What about the locking pin? Is there really such a thing? I wish I could just launch her and not worry! But would just be my luck that it would fall into the river. Besides I want to put the little hook back in the keel so I can remove the wire when it's down. Best rippy
Old 04-16-2012

Tough question to answer. We didn't do anything major to the keel other than clean it up = bonding and faring filler to the entire thing and then a new paint job. The pivot pinhole was in decent shape nothing like you see on the Cal21 website about replacing that piece. My real problem was with the trunk not the keel...but we did sail it with the new trunk and keel in place. I managed to get a locking pin through but it broke. I was using a piece of 1/4in brass which couldn't handle the weight of the keel. I plan on making something with a bigger OD for this spring.

Hopefully I will be posting some more of the rebuilding process pictures soon. We just put in new chain plates. It was pretty scary when we pulled the old chain plate tabs off and found essentially saw dust inside the fiberglass.

Check out the "Cal 21 Keel" page that I originally started for some pics that rod posted...

Last edited by sailnova; 04-16-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2012

I have an article fro man old SMALL BOAT JOURNAL magazine that shows how someone removed his RHODES 19 off the trailer each year to paint the bottom and the centerboard. I use a modified version of his method to paint the bottom on my O'Day Day Sailer. It might be possible to use this way to access the keel on a CAL 21, we had our boat at a boatyard with a Travel-Lift, so never tried this idea...... But it does work great for my DS II. I have pics of how the yard re-instaled our keel the last time it was out during our ownership (2001).
If you save the R19 painting file, then open it it should come out bigger, worked on my computer at least. Basically, you lower the tongue of the trailer, block up the stern of the boat (I use a semi-fitted support beam), then jack up the trailer tongue, that lifts the bow while the stern rises off the trailer, then insert a crossbeam between boat and trailer, block up that beam above the trailer ,and move the trailer out. I only move my trailer forward enough to allow the CB to drop ,bow stays supported by the trailer roller. (Guess I should have added a pic of my DS II lifted?)
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-r19_painting_1.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-1604938370.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-1604939522.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-nodrog-keel1.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-100_0800.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 05-08-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2012

Sailnova, the key to using the 1/4" brass rod for a locking bolt is to set it up right.
First, we inserted a bushing into the hole in hte keel for the locking bolt, reducing the hole to just over 1/4" I.D.
Second, we used a pair of metal disks on hte outside of the trunk (replaced the original fiberglass reenforcements that ripped off the trunk when we bent the 5/8" monel bolt). These were sized to have a lip that fit the now over-sized holes in each side of the trunk.
Third, the brass rod/bolt needs to be snug (tight enough to need a wrench, but not cranked down)
Fourth, the pivot bolt needs to be snugged down after the keel is lowered to semi-clamp the keel in place. This prevents the keel from moving fore and aft. We once snapped the brass rod when a powerboat wake rocked us on the mooring before my Dad got the pivot bolt snugged down. Yet...with everything set up, I softly grounded a few times (actually nudged a rock at least once!) with out shearing the brass rod off. We set the brass rod up to shear off if we ever clombered a rock again like we did when we bent that 5/8" monel bolt. It worked a couple of times when we ran aground, preventing the damage that occured before.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-c21_locking-pin-assy.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-c21_locking-pin-place-starboard.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-c21_locking-pin-plate-port.jpg  
othomas3 likes this.

NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon