Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

Ron Plasse is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

Morning My Fellow CAL 21 Owners... I have had some inquiries regarding my 72 Cal 21 boat and trailer less the keel... Yes I have decided to part out this boat. I have a good sail set, most all of the hardware, pulpits, aluminum mast, boom, stanchions, rigging, etc... It currently on its own trailer. I was in the process of replacing the hubs and bearings, wheels, tires, lights and trailer wiring before I decided to go ahead and part this boat out since the keel was lost at sea by the former owner. I really like the hydrodynamics of the CAL 21 hull design and was hoping to replace the keel and take her out and put her through her paces however the project size and time just won't allow me to pursue that course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2014

rippy is on a distinguished road

Hi all... rippy here...trying to post photos that show some kind of hook that is located between the wire and the rope of my jib halyard. My friend figured out a way to do it so here it is! I have no idea if it is original equip or was added when an inexpensive Harken roller furling was put on the boat. As I have said before, I have just about no history on the boat. What I am lacking is the hardware it would attach to. I am assuming it would be located on the mast, but is a quandary to me. I have researched a few sources, Sailnet, Defender and Jamestown, with no positive results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-07-2014

Hey Rippy... I don't have anything like that on my (what appears to be) all original rigging. I looks to me like someone was missing a clevis and did what sailors always to made it with M.O.H. (Material on hand) If you find out more about it post it I would like to know...
Old 05-08-2014

rjohnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippy View Post
Hi all... rippy here...trying to post photos that show some kind of hook that is located between the wire and the rope of my jib halyard. My friend figured out a way to do it so here it is! I have no idea if it is original equip or was added when an inexpensive Harken roller furling was put on the boat. As I have said before, I have just about no history on the boat. What I am lacking is the hardware it would attach to. I am assuming it would be located on the mast, but is a quandary to me. I have researched a few sources, Sailnet, Defender and Jamestown, with no positive results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
That fitting is 100% original from CAL. We had the same thing on our 1970 model. the purpose was to allow furhter tensioning of the halyard after you raised the jib. The technique was to take the rope part of the halyard and hook it under the cleat on hte mast, then run it up over the hook and now have a semi 2x mechanical advantage. The hook is what is known as a "dumb sheave" (a pulley wheel that doesn't rotate) and you could then swig the halyard to add tension. You have it rigged correct, it doesn't mount to anything, it just fits between hte wire and rope parts of the halyard exactly as shown. We did have one difference, in htat my Dad had an eye splice with a thimble in hte end of hte rope part and that was shackled to the bottom hole in that fitting. but otherwise yours is just like ours was.
othomas3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
The Following User Says Thank You to rjohnson For This Useful Post:
rippy (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014

Thumbs up Re: Cal 21 Owners

Wow Rod, You are the man when it comes to the Cal21!. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I was going to put a turnbuckle from the deck to the tack of the sail. Yeah, I know a nutty idea I have a Hobie 16 and that uses a sheave for the purpose you describe, i.e. to get high tension on the jib. I am rethinking the mast shortening idea. Might be easier to just reef the main when feeling nervous. Thanks again! ralph
Old 05-10-2014

othomas3 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how the deck is attached to the hull?

Under the metal rub rail is a line of screws around the hull that appears to screw into the wooden rail at the top of the hull inside the cabin.

On the top of the stern there are screws that appear to screw into a board on the transom top inside the hull.

Then there are the screws in the deck of the cockpit that fasten to the top of the swing keel housing.

Is it possible to remove all the screw and separate the deck from the hull?
Old 05-10-2014

Hi Othomas3... I did replace all 168 machine screws on my McGregor Ventura 21 previously with stainless steel machine screws, fender washers inside and nylon locking nuts. My Cal 21 looks like it has the same standard type of hull to deck coupling, mating the two sections with an over and under lip. I have not yet removed the rubber molding and the metal rubber molding track from my Cal 21 yet however I am getting ready to start. I think that the deck and hull can be separated at this point however besides the molding you will encounter sealing caulk and other sealing materials that will inhibit your work in separating the top from the bottom section. I would clean out all the old caulking and sealant and of course remove the chain plates, and other trims, etc. Maybe someone else on the net is an expert or has actually performed the operation of separating the two sections. I would like to hear more. All the Best! Ragman365
othomas3 likes this.
Old 05-19-2014

Time for me to get rid of the permanent keel attachment set up and have a keel plug built. I have looked at the plug(s) described here: Keel Plug page
many times, but still not sure I understand them. Like what is metal and what is wood. I am unable to make any sense out of the "alternative plug" drawing. I probably should just be asking Rod about this, but I am sure he will see it anyway. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-2014

Well, they say it is always best to go back to the source for questions<GRIN!>
On the KEEL PLUG, most of it is wood, the JENSEN Marine/CAL original was (believe it or not) Mahogany. Any stable hard wood should suffice, pine might work, but may be too soft and swell too much.

The main body of the plug (lower plank?) is one piece of wood, the hinged flap is a second piece of wood, the amgled plate at the forward end is metal, we used Stainless Steel (about 1/16" -3/32" thick), but brass or steel could be used (steel will rust, but maybe if it was galvanized it would last longer) I wouldn't use aluminum (except maybe on a trailer-stored boat due to electrolysis. The vertical rod is metal, we used steel because we had some available, and added a short piece of brass at the top for hte wingnut that secured the plug to the keel well cover. CAL originally designed the plug with 2 bungee cord lengths to hold everthing together, but it did not restrain the plug from working up and down while sailing and so the rod was substituted (I think that was a modification sent out by CAL, but I'm not sure.

OH, and when inserting and removing the keel plug, it helps to tie a lanyard to it since ours tried to float away one time when my Dad dropped it (after a full 6-month sailing season o na mooring... the keel plug had absorbed water and was almost neutrally buoyant).
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-cal21_keel-plug-install_dwg.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-keel-plug.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-keel-plug-labeled.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-keel-plug2.jpg  
rippy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
rippy (05-22-2014)
Old 05-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Plasse View Post
Hi Othomas3... I did replace all 168 machine screws on my McGregor Ventura 21 previously with stainless steel machine screws, fender washers inside and nylon locking nuts. My Cal 21 looks like it has the same standard type of hull to deck coupling, mating the two sections with an over and under lip. I have not yet removed the rubber molding and the metal rubber molding track from my Cal 21 yet however I am getting ready to start. I think that the deck and hull can be separated at this point however besides the molding you will encounter sealing caulk and other sealing materials that will inhibit your work in separating the top from the bottom section. I would clean out all the old caulking and sealant and of course remove the chain plates, and other trims, etc. Maybe someone else on the net is an expert or has actually performed the operation of separating the two sections. I would like to hear more. All the Best! Ragman365
Well ,I haven't removed the deck from a CAL 21, but there were pictures of one that the owner did remove the deck to replace most of the interior woodwork, he created a custom layout as part of his rebuild. I think there was a link off the CAL 21 web site
http://www3.sympatico.ca/sailpair/21stuff/home.html

I'll see if I can find it and post a link here. In the meantime, I think I saved some of the pics from that web page. I did find a couple of pics of what the aft area looked like after he rebuilt the wood structure, but no "before" shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-432_inside-stern.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-432_inside-stern2.jpg  

NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 05-20-2014 at 04:23 PM.
othomas3 (06-26-2014)