Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2014

rippy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

I have begun construction of the keel plug using a very large piece of oak that was milled from a tree that got blown down a few hurricanes ago. I have yet to lower the keel when boat not on water, and have not examined closely the keel slot, except from the cockpit. Before I go much further in trimming the oak I need to understand how it sits in or at the slot. The drawing in Rod's earlier post(1 of 4) shows the plug mostly in the slot and the keel well with only the tip of the forward steel plate touching the keel. It also looks like the plug is tapered going forward as well as aft from the flat section. I am unable to picture what keeps the plug from riding up higher into the well or slot. Relying on Rod for more edification on the famous, or infamous, Cal21 keel plug.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2014

rjohnson is on a distinguished road

That steel rod that I mentioned, and should show in both my sketch and the drawing that my Dad made of our keel-plug, is what keeps the keel plug fro mriding up. The plug is also prevented fro mriding up by the shape of hte plug.... if you look at the shape of the CAL 21 keel well from below, you will note that the forward end of the large hole in the has a recess if I recall to allow the ballast bulb to clear the forward end of the cockpit opening, and the keel plug sits up in that notch.... (now, understand..... I'm relying on my memory here!!) and that stops the plug from rising up and the steel rod stops it from dropping down (Originally a length of bungee cord held the plug in position there (lead from top of keel plug to underside of the cover over the top of the cockpit opening, but that did not have enough pull to hold the plug into the slot, so the steel rod was substituted). I'll try to sketch how this all works.... I really wish that I still had a CAL 21 to take a picture of (would need to do this hauled out..... might need to lift her to lower the keel and insert the plug to really explain what I mean?)

One note, in the drawing below, there are 2 different angles shown for the metal plate at the forward end of the keel plug, I believe the 60 deg figure is the correct one.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-cal-21-keel-well_plug-fit.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-cal21_keel-plug-install_dwg.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-plug2.jpg   Cal 21 Owners-keel-plug-labeled.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Old 05-26-2014

Thanks Rod, I already cut the angle at 45 degrees. Hope it doesn't throw the length off if I trim to 60 degrees. Wish it wasn't so expensive to have it lifted high enough to drop the keel for a close look. May have to just bite the bullet. Guess I can always add a little stock at the aft end of the plug. Getting close. Any comments about the taper of the plug?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

othomas3 is on a distinguished road

RJOHNSON,

Any ideas on why the transom wasn't a solid piece of plywood or solid with the exception of a port to view the hull number?

Looks like it might have been 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood?

Olin
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thumbs up Re: Cal 21 Owners

Alas, I feel like such a lazy sailor bum Have been sailing off a dock since beginning of June or so. Weather was finally turning and the river was calling so I hitched her up and drove down to my friendly marina Explained that I wanted the boat lifted high enough to drop the keel out. They didn't seem to want to put her on jacks so they lifted her higher in the slings. They took over and sledged the keel bolt out. But the keel was wedged in and didn't want to come out. Time seemed to be becoming an issue and the keel trunk was moving too much for my comfort so we jointly decided that everything was "probably" OK and managed to line up the bolt hole in the keel with that in the trunk and eventually hammered the bolt back through. Dropped her in the water, crossed fingers, and had a short conversation with Neptune.
It's about a 20 minute motor out the Rondout to the Hudson, and then enough river to enjoy sailing. Have enjoyed different conditions, but think I like 10 mph breeze in same direction as tide. Bumping around in waves makes my mind turn to the stories I have read about lost keels
Definitely have a plan to examine the total keel at some point, but truth be told I'd rather sail than work on boats when the weather is right.
As a final note, I am getting used to her tenderness. Still lots of things needed to make her sail better. This fall I should have everything needed to release the wire from the keel, but then I may need a sea anchor to slow her down!
othomas3 likes this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

rjohnson is on a distinguished road

Olin.
on our 1970 model the plywood was more like 5/8" and consisted of a 6-8" plank across the top that backed up the hull-deck joint across the top of the transom and also the bolts for the top pintle and hte backstay chainplate. Then there was another piece sized to back up the bolts for the outboard bracket, and one more smaller piece located to back up the bolts for the lower pintle. The plywood used was plenty strong enough for the job, as ours never gave us any trouble over 38 years. This is actually a quite normal design/construction for sailboat transoms, only using plywood in hte localized areas of need. I've attached the best picture of the area that I have, doesn't show it too well, but...!

I guess that I could include one very scary observation though......... I never did find ANY evidence that the backstay chainplate was through bolted! As far as I can tell (and Richard Fuller, owner of the old CAL 21 web-site) said the same. It appears to have used wood screws? but they must have been short ones? Well, whatever, it never loosened up in the 38 years we owned NODROG.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 21 Owners-lazerette.jpg  
othomas3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
The Following User Says Thank You to rjohnson For This Useful Post:
othomas3 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

othomas3 is on a distinguished road

Your transom wood placement is the same as was in mine. My top piece was pretty well rotted out.

There were no blots on the chain plate, only short wood screws. I think bolts make more sense because the port and stbd chain plates were bolted.