Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011

mistacolin is on a distinguished road
Cal 21 Owners

Doesn't seem like there are too many of us running around on the internets. She doesn't seem to have as big of a following as the other Cal boats, but I'm sure that's just due to the limited production run.

Curious if anyone knows of a email group or something similar for Cal 21 owners? Or, if none exists if anyone would be interested in starting one with me?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
Hey Mista, There are a few, a very few, Cal21 folks spread far and wide. Most of us trying to get more info on our recently acquired boats! I see that the last post I made on this forum was four weeks ago, just before you posted. Communications are tricky. I have found a few different sources for info. One fellow is super good about the Cal and boats in general, but I have never been able to get a response from him. Fortunately he has left a lot of good info on a forum that I will have to identify - might be this one. I will track it down later as I am about to install a cockpit seat drain based on a posting that I have to find again...I think in the Ruta Baga (sp?) section of some helpful info that exists. There is a guy named Rod Johnson who no longer owns a Cal21, but grew up with one, and he is very helpful. Well, I hope you see this and get back to me. I will stay tuned to this forum for a while to make sure I don't miss you.
OKAY, I found the good info guy - Sailaway21, on this forum, but in a reply to Bonita so is tricky to find. Bonita has posted many pics in his restoration project.

Last edited by rippy; 06-24-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: More info
Old 06-24-2011

I hear ya, I'm in the "need more info" boat it seems. I've found a few resources spread out all over that answer a lot of the questions, but there are always those random boat specific things you want to ask a fellow owner.

Speaking of... How much tension do you put on your rigging? The last time I took out my boat I noticed it has serious lee helm. I think my back stay is too loose. I found a bit online about 2-3 inches of flex in the shrouds and 1-2 in the back and forestay.
Old 06-25-2011

You are way ahead of me in sailing the Cal21. I got the boat last fall on a trailer. The prior owner bought it a couple of years ago and left it on the hard in his backyard through 2010. He had very little info for me. I expect to test sail her this coming Monday. Had to do repair work on rudder as well as figure out the rigging. The interior is still a mess, but not a major concern of mine. I have spent a lot of energy trying to learn about the keel and keel attachment. This boat has a permanent connection which I am lead to believe is detrimental to sailing. I would like to set it back to original design. Regarding back stay, I have read that putting a dual wire with an adjustment back there is good. But in general on rig tension I have little to offer at this point. My boat has two jibs and the roller jib has hanks on it which is also a puzzlement. There is a roller on the jib halyard and I found a small Harken furler in a parts box. Not sure prior owner was a sailor or knew what a roller furler was. Of course that may be the way he got the boat.
Old 06-25-2011

Congrats on getting her in the water Monday, let me know how it goes.
Old 06-25-2011

Will do!
Old 06-27-2011

Never made it to the water today. Wasn't any wind so I rigged it in the yard as best I could. Realized that I don't seem to have the sheets understood yet either. You can see another thread I started today trying to work out the furler questions I have. Got advice from more northwest sailors. BC to be exact.
Regarding your comment about shroud tension. There is good(I hope) detail about all 8 wires in the second paragraph of A. MAST TUNE in the manual found at www3.sympatico.ca/sailpair/21stuff/manual.html
Some questions I still have:
1. Is the 3" block of wood under my mast original equipment?
2. How should main sheet be strung?
YAYYYY! FOUND ANSWER AT SYMPATICO
3. How should jib sheets be led in ref to upper/lower shrouds
FROM PICS LOOKS LIKE ALL OUTSIDE OF SHROUDS
4. Looks like both jib and Genny will be hitting the dual jumper stays.
But getting there!

Last edited by rippy; 06-28-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: found answer to question asked in post.
Old 07-01-2011

othomas3 is on a distinguished road
South Carolina Cal 21 Owner

I just acquired a Cal 21 on a trailer. Never had a sail boat before but always wanted one and to learn to sail.

My son and I stepped the mast yesterday evening while it is in the yard and on the trailer. We could not get the cable to reach the bow. Seemed to be about 12" - 15" short.

Not sure what to do next other than rig something with the trailer winch to help raise the mast. Walking it up for a middle aged and vertically challenged man is a chore.
Old 07-01-2011

othomas3, First off let me say that you will get more help from more sources if you post directly into the forum with a new thread. But as long as you are here let me try to shed some light, or at least my experience on the two problems you have described. At least I think they are two separate problems.
The first is the difficulty of raising the mast. I suspect that is one of the primary reasons for the short production run of this "trailerable" boat. As I do a lot of solo sailing I have to raise the mast of my boats by myself. I mostly sail a Hobie16 which i trailer every time I sail. The masts are about the same height but I have no trouble stepping the Hobie mast. The Cal is a different story altogether. I decided I would have to rig a gin pole and bridle if i ever wanted to step the Cal21 mast by myself. Here is one man's design: Mast Raising System

The second problem of the forestay( I assume you are speaking of the forestay) not reaching the bow is impossible to help with unless more info is offered by you. Was the mast verticle? Was a shroud or backstay or anything else caught on something? Is the backstay positioned properly on the mast? Is it the correct forestay? Is the forestay positioned right?

The Cal21 will be an interesting boat to learn to sail on. I am of a mind that it is quite tender and perhaps a bit overpowered for a first time sailboat. I have sailed a 13 tonner(very solid in big winds) and a Hobie16 which will have you swimming in a second if you do not stay on top of it. Send pics of the short jibstay problem if you can. Might be able to spot problem. According to the specs the headstay(forestay to me) should be 23' 6 1/4" long. Good luck, rip
Old 07-01-2011

sailnova is on a distinguished road
Hey, i just found this thread. I am working on getting my Cal21 back in the water after pivot pin repairs (cal21 keel thread)...I bought the boat last 4th of July. I am new to sailing but managed to get around the Puget Sound a bit last summer/fall. Thanks Rippy and Mistacolin for your posts!