Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011
Fish out of water

Myt4 is on a distinguished road
new t-4 owner

i posted this in introductions and then found the cal section

Well I figured I should say hello and introduce myself. Let me start by saying My knowledge about sailing is zero, but I just bought a cal t-4. I am comfortable with fast cars and I always tell people not to buy one just because it sounds interesting. Now I have done pretty much that with this boat. I've always wanted to learn and never had the opportunity. Now I do and I'm starting at the bottom. So try not to get to frustrated with me.

Now for the important part. It's a 72 Jensen cal t-4 that has been on a local lake for a while and the person I purchased it from has had it 1.5 years and is new to sailing. He is going to show me the basics this weekend and then I'm on my own so to speak. She's in fair shape from what I can tell and he takes it out often.

Any words of wisdom and direction are appreciated I look forward to learning and becoming proficient. Thanks for this site. So far I can't get away from it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2011

BC2316 is on a distinguished road
You are really going to have fun with this boat! We have owned ours for 2 years. It was our first boat and in another year we may move up to a 30 footer. I think this was a good size to start with. One of the things I like is that I can singlehand it (although i prefer not to) I have spent the night in it and it is okay for 2 people. It is a great day sailer.

My recommendation is to take some classes on sailing. I took some US Coast Guard Auxiliary classes to learn about sailing, and my wife took a boating for women course which was great. I liked the Auxiliary so much I joined them! We have been out sailing with others who have many years of experience and it has been very beneficial for us. We learn a great deal from listening to what others have gone through.

Safety first, then get out there and have fun!
BC2316
Old 06-10-2011
Fish out of water

Thanks I look forward to the future
Old 06-27-2011

cal30 is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

Howzit Guys,
Sounds like you're having fun. Good luck with the boat. We've got a T/2 and have been sailing up a storm for the last three years. We're thinking about moving up a little to a 2/29. Has more headroom and heavier displacement + better for our strong trades. Have fun, be safe.
LR
Attached Thumbnails
new t-4 owner-img_4030.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011
Fish out of water

Thanks I am. It's a major learning process for me but a lot of fun so far. I'm sure when I get ready to do the bottom job it will be less fun at times but I enjoy a challenge and learning new things.

Does anyone know where I can get measurements to build or modify a trailer? Mainly need the measurements for the uprights and braces. Thanks all.

Last edited by Myt4; 06-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Put the uprights at the same spacing as you find on a cradle. Hope you can find a boat on a cradle or factory trailer to copy. Basicaly the forward pair are in the forward bulkhead area and the rear perhaps where quarterberth ends and a small bulkhead seperates cockpit lockers from cabin. Fin keel support is important as it will be holding half the boat weight. Wish you luck but you may still have to use a crane to launch or retrieve. It is still better to have a trailer even if you can't launch from it than have a cradle.
Old 06-28-2011
Fish out of water

Would it work to build it with runners made out of flexible marine grade wood supported by stands/up rights at the right height? I want it to be as user friendly as possible and with the ability to load and unload in the water. I also plan to make an extension that hooks on ball on the truck with wheels at the trailer end to attach the trailer to on shallower ramps approximately 20'.
Old 06-29-2011

coldsteel is on a distinguished road
Look at the photos

I sent you some photos of my T/4 when I had it moved so I could get it repaired and painted. Take a look at them and you can see the spacing of the stanchions to support the boat. The trailer had a telescoping tong that they let out when they were taking the boat out of the water and shortened when they were ready to move it to the shop. With the fixed keel you have to get the trailer pretty far out from the ramp to get the boat on or off.
Old 06-29-2011

cal30 is on a distinguished road
trailer

Howzit Coldsteel,
Haven't heard from you, so I guess you've got Pearl Harbor all wired. Did you use Heitor to haul you boat? He helped us at Hale'iwa and is available island wide if anyone needs his service. Just FYI. Have fun.
LR
Old 06-30-2011

coldsteel is on a distinguished road
Aloha

Yes, it has been a long time and Heitor not only moved my boat but helped restore it. I used his shop to sandown and repaint my Cal T/4. How are things going up on the north shore?